Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

That's...not...a toy!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Babyshoes, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

So who else has a cat who likes to play with random things, but ignores jingle balls, kickers etc? He will play with mice & wand toys, but hides them under furniture where I can't get them out!

We've had some weird ones, but this morning was the strangest yet - Macavity was trying to get at something stuck under the desk leg in the bedroom. My partner kindly helped him as he was struggling, and pulled out a clove of garlic! :eek: Thank goodness he hadn't tried to eat it, just thought it was a good size to bat around! I know when he got it too - a few days ago I was convinced I was either going crazy & peeled less than I thought I had, or had accidentally thrown a clove away with the peels. The little sod must have nicked it off the counter while my back was turned!

Other "not toys" he's found included a razor from the side of the bath - thankfully not to bat around but just to "have" (that found a new home pretty damn quick!), gift bows, pens & pencils, a ball of kitchen foil, clothes pegs, pieces of meat, dribbling taps/water running away down the drain, cotton buds out of the bin etc...

When he starts being allowed out unsupervised, I won't be surprised if he brings in such delights as twigs, leaves & bits of rubbish!o_O

AmsMam and Jaf like this.
  2. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Hmmm - Brooke has brought in:
    Butterflies
    Robins
    Wrens
    Mice (live and dead)
    Blackbirds (live and dead)
    Thrushes (live and dead)
    A pigeon
    A dove
    A live magpie
    Frogs
    A rat

The joys of an outdoor cat.:(

AmsMam, ewelsh, Jaf and 2 others like this.
  3. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Blue has a thing for disposable razors and cotton bubs. All now on lock down! X

Jaf and Babyshoes like this.
  4. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

Mosi spent some time yesterday playing with the receipt from my Ocado delivery which I'd left on the floor. It's an A4 size piece of paper and he was jumping on and off it, bunny kicking it and pushing it around with his nose. Kept him amused for a while!

Temporally_Loopy, Jaf and Babyshoes like this.
  5. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

Right, I'm not in a good mood. Anyone want 2 Somalis? Free to good home. Or even a not so good home the way I'm feeling. I'll add car keys to the list of "toys" :(

I've just walked to the car only to find no car keys in my bag. They're on a fairly large soft animal key ring (easy for me to hold and won't fall down a drain if I drop them). Bear in mind my walking is very limited and the distance to my car is about as far as I can manage without a rest. I use a rollator. It's pouring with rain. So I walk slowly to the car getting wet and no keys. I'm forced to sit down on the rollator while I rummage around in my bag but of course the seat is very wet so my bum is now very wet. No keys. I guess what's happened as they have taken them out of my bag before. I can't walk back without sitting for a while so I have to sit on the wet rollator seat in the rain for a while. Eventually I managed to make my way back and yup, there they are - on the floor near where my bag was. I'm now sat on a towel (wet bum!) until I can have another go at walking to the car. The bag on my rollator has gathered a fair bit of water so I'll have to mop that up before I go again otherwise. I'm going to be late now and nobody is owning up. I've told them treats are suspended until further notice.

AmsMam and Emmasian like this.
  6. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I think the worst was a newt! It was playing dead as the do so Lottie wasn't overly impressed.

Newt was fine by the way! :D

Babyshoes likes this.
  7. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Herbie's favourite things to play with are bits of foil and blue tac! If I leave blue tac lying around I will find it somewhere on the floor with teeth marks in it! Not good!

However, his all-time favourite thing is tape measure (you know, the retractable ones). He can be in another room, but as soon as he hears you using it he will sprint to get to it. When you pull it out he jumps up to grab it. So funny!

8. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

Nail files. Oh Lord the nail files. Rafa and Freya spirit them away so for the last few weeks I have been wandering round with overlong, scraggy nails. Treated self to a zebra striped file from Morrison's today (whoopee), ensured cats were guzzling their tea, then whipped it out two rooms away to go to work. Rafa and Freya straight on me like streaks of silver and gold lightning, Rafa snatched it, and legs it, with Frey in hot pursuit. I give up!!

Temporally_Loopy and Babyshoes like this.
  9. immum

immum PetForums Member

All time favourite non-toys here are foam earplugs! Indie and Milo both go mad for them. Indie's next favourite is the toilet roll. She regularly unravels them, and if she knocks it off the holder shreds it to pieces bunny kicking and biting it. Milo also likes mice and birds, but that's another story! Other things are disposable razors (now hidden away), slivers of soap, my husbands wedding ring....

Emmasian and Babyshoes like this.
  10. Yorkshirecats

Yorkshirecats PetForums Member

Hair bobbles!

Yes- razors, nail files, tape measure, toilet roll, hair clips, screws/bolts......

11. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

Gaaaaah toilet rolls! I have got up in the morning to find rolls shredded everywhere and three cats sat surveying me with politely inquisitive, innocent expressions. Unfortunately for them, Teddy had tiny strands of paper tangled in his magnificent whiskers, so culpability was established! That was a while ago, but even now Freya will rip open the packet and run off with one. It's hilarious.

12. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

Earl has a thing for frozen raspberries! I have them every morning in my porridge, every time he hears rage packet he comes flying through the house for one and ends up with red paws if he gets hold of one

Babyshoes likes this.
  13. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

Toilet rolls, kitchen roll, my tooth brush, the plug from the bathroom sink (so much so I've had to to take it away & hide it). Towels hanging up on towel rail in bathroom, clothes that are hanging over banisters or over bedroom door, the dogs toys are also now Alfie's toys.
    On ratties cage cleaning days it's the paper sacks the rat litter comes in (I use bio-catolet as a rat litter, if I'm not quick enough & the sack is open Alfie gets inside it & I end up with rat litter everywhere!!)
    Everythings a toy in Alfie's eyes (playing is beneath ebony, unless its with a fishing rod toy).

14. Elaine b37

Elaine b37 PetForums Senior

Cody has a thing for nail files as well (the big wide emery board ones), he managed to get one out of my bag but I took it away from him because I was worried about him damaging his teeth by biting on it

15. XXCazzyXX

XXCazzyXX PetForums Junior

Nox's favorite non(ish) toy is the wand from that cats meow toy. Not the full machine.....just the wand. I have had to buy spares because he bites the rubbery bit at the end and I'm scared he will choke. He also loves foam ear plugs and eye masks. My dad is a shift worker so this causes problems if the cat get into his room when he is in work lol

16. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

As others have said - anything, any time, anywhere within the house is a toy for Bertie ... his, his, his. Yes, emery boards, bottle tops, pens, sweet wrappers - anything he sees he wants to pat around - except for the toys actually purchased for him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice