Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

That's! My Girl!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LinznMilly, Sep 15, 2013.

1. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm half expecting to get lynched for this, but I'm going to share this anyway, simply because it had me grinning from ear to ear all the way home and still has me chuckling when I think about it now.

Took the dogs for a 50 minute walk last night, right round the field (or slag heap, as it's known locally). We were on the last leg of the walk, both dogs off lead, Max walking voluntarily to heal (I had treats :rolleyes: :D), Millly stretching her legs, exploring. Suddenly she took off into some bushes. I couldn't see her, but could hear her name tag jangling. Max and I carried on walking.

Further down the path, 2 men were heading towards us, cans in hand, chatting, presumably walking to the nearby pub at the start of a night out. Max and I passed them without incident and as soon as I passed them, my head down, some instinct told me to count down ... 3 ... 2... 1

Milly erupted from the bushes at full speed, pounding the grass as she thundered past the stunned men and continued past me and Max. :D Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the lads turn their heads for a double take and one of them asked, surprised, but amused, "Where did that come from?" By this time, Milly had slowed down, turned and was returning to me. :p I couldn't help laughing as I thought "that's my girl" :p :lol:

On a serious note, it shows how far we've come in the last year. This time last year I wouldn't have dreamed walking that route with Milly offlead. It was too close to the garden she had a habit of disappearing into. Last night, I realised I fully trusted her not to run off and into that garden. Maybe the lady has stopped putting bread out for the birds [cough]Milly[cough] :p. Maybe she's moved ... or maybe ... just maybe ... My little girl is all growed up and out of her teenage stage. :001_tt1: :w00t:

2. Scabbers

Scabbers PetForums Senior

A milestone has been passed! woohoo!

Share your secret? How long does this teenage stage last?

Its soooo loooooonnngggg :D

3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Milly's lasted about 18 months in total, I think. :rolleyes: :( Couldn't trust her offlead within a half mile radius of The Garden during that time without her running off the second she realised the bread was out.

Unfortunately she's by no means perfect ... she's just swapped teenage rebellion for adult eau de fox poo ... and other smelly smellies :D

#3 LinznMilly, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Oh I love it when you can finally relax on walks. Its obviously taken time and a great deal of patience but well worth it.

Just wish I had seen the shock on the lads face as Millie appeared. I bet it really was priceless.

If you can fix the eau de fox poo problem. Am still battling with this problem with my terrier cross who is 16. The vet said that her training my alter slightly as she gets older, due to her forgetting what a command means. I just wish she would forget how lovely it is to roll in fox poo, bird droppings and horse waste, any anything else she discovers on a walk.

5. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Sadly I kept my head down, too busy laughing to register the look on the lads' faces :D but I could only imagine what they must have been thinking - one minute they're chatting quietly, contemplating the night ahead, the next a lurcher springs from nowhere and has already past them before they had a chance to process the thought :lol: They're lucky though. Milly watches where she's going now, so she might have been close, but there was no way she was going to hit them. I've been less fortunate in the past :rolleyes:

As for poo rolling, it seems she joined the Lily Pickles of the world and found out the delights of smelly rolling. :rolleyes: She's always done it to some extent, but it used to be only in the grass/mud - nothing smelly. Yesterday afternoon she stunk to high heaven. [​IMG]

What made it worse was not only did she behave in the shower afterwards, she didn't even seem to mind :cryin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice