Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

That one person...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by 8tansox, May 2, 2017.

1. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Do any of you have "that one person" who pushes every button you've got?

I have one woman where I take my boys training, she has taken a dislike to me and my boys, I know not why, she just takes every opportunity to have a little dig, sometimes they're very subtle, sometimes not so... she asked me why my dog had "stumpy legs" and when I told her they weren't, he was in fact a great specimen of the breed, parents both Champions in their respective fields, she muttered something and wandered off... today's little dig was she was surprised I couldn't stay for the entire lesson / practice, after all I'm getting a puppy in a few weeks and don't have time to train the dogs I have... I've missed ONE lesson this year - one.

She NEVER allows her dogs to meet my dogs when we're training, which is fair enough but, she freaks if they even pass her dogs / car and yells at me to move away, then follows up with a "please" once she's realised she's gone OTT. She's met my dogs on her own, she's seen my dogs interact with other dogs and people, she's seen they're fairly obedient but she, for some reason, just won't lighten up when I'm around.

As I am a dog trainer, I often come across people that I wouldn't generally take to socially, but I have a job to do and I do my best to give them 100%.

We have a competition on Saturday and I know she's going to be there, competing too. I'm going to try my best to avoid her if I can because she will send my BP soaring before I even step in the ring!

Rant over, but am I the ONLY one who has a button pusher? Please say I'm not hahaha!!!

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Oh dear, she doesn't sound a very nice person. enjoy your competition.

3. Jackien4

Jackien4 PetForums Senior

What a strange women , that's life you get this sort everywhere you go. Have you asked her why she is like this to you ? Sounds like she is jealous

Rott lover likes this.
  4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I have to confess that sometimes I meet someone and instantly don't like them. A kind of 'Doctor Fell' feeling. But I just stay away as much as possible. It's not worth the stress of being around them.

But your button-pusher sounds like a nasty piece of work without the self-knowledge or self-control to behave like a grown-up.

So I would advise a game of 'Smile Sweetly'. When she says something nasty, just smile sweetly and walk away if you can. If you can't, smile sweetly and say 'I think you're right'. She knows she gets under your skin. That's why she does it. But if you take away her satisfaction she will soon move on to some other poor sod.

LinznMilly likes this.
  5. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

I've had a few button pushers over the years, what i do now is be extra extra nice to them, it really confuses them :)
    When you see her at the comp, before he has a chance to say anything, tell her how well she looks and how fit the dogs look and how sure you are that'll they'll do well, pile it on thick LOL

6. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising PetForums VIP

What breed are your dogs? Maybe she has a phobia from some previous experience of specific breeds? (if hers aren't the same breed)

7. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Yep, my twin, and I've had to put up with her all my life

8. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

There is somebody at training who gets right up my nose, and so do her dogs. Her dogs are overtly friendly and just constantly in peoples faces trying to get a fuss, one always shoves the damn toy that it's constantly got in it's mouth in your face. I totally ignore them because they wind me up. She thinks the sun shines out of their arses and that everybody who meets them falls in love with them, and she makes up little stories about them, and ok, she loves them and thats fair enough but dont assume everybody else does.

She's also a chatterbox and seems like she has to be the centre of attention and even though i'm sure she's a lovely person (after all, she's never done anything bad or been in any way negative towards me), she just gets right up my nose and as soon as I see her and her dogs I groan inwardly.

9. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I would try the kill her with kindness route, I wouldn't go out of my way to talk or interact with her, but just take a deep breathe and smile and say something lovely and cheery to her if she speaks to you, as it will most likely eat her up inside as people like that tend to love a reason to jump on you, so just be bright and breezy to her and smile knowing it's killing her deep down as she'll be a bubbling vat of rage :D

HarlequinCat, Bob Ford and Rott lover like this.
  10. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Well you will have the "type" of dog you have after all JRT's strike fear in the heart of many. I have come to the conclusion over the last few years that most people are just knobs! I care for very few people these days just my really close friends 2 in particular that you know ;) and I care even less what others think of me. I bet she would use the breed as an excuse but I would say she just knows your dogs are better trained than hers and you are better at training that her. Keep on what you are doing and smile at her a lot!!! That'll annoy her more :Kiss

11. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

No I can assure you you're not alone.....LOL

12. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

I agree with this 100%.I find that more and more people annoy me to no end lately and the ones at the top of the list get killed with kindness and it sends them off seething.

Bob Ford likes this.
  13. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Oh gosh no.
    To be fair though, she sounds totally awful! :eek:

When I was heavy in to competing with horses I always used to joke about how weird horse people are (including myself in here), but I believe I now stand corrected that dog people are definitely weirder :D

And as you know the dog world is tiny, so you end up running in to the same annoying people over and over.

One person I keep running in to is a trainer who told me my dog would never do well in competition. I would love to say that every time I've competed at a show she is also attending I've done well, but sadly we all know the universe doesn't work that way.
    I have on a couple of occasions done better than her, and I know it's petty but I get satisfaction out of that. And in the inimitable way dogs teach you humility, another time, my dog walked in to the ring with his "lipstick" stuck, waddled along in a heel and then abruptly sat and had to frantically lick himself and fix things. Was one of the brighter moments in my showing career :Bag And yes, of course, that woman was there. Ringside. *sigh*

Bob Ford and MontyMaude like this.
  14. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Phew... was beginning to think it was just me that got their buttons pushed, so glad I'm not haha! I can easily ignore her at the competition, or rather, not involve myself with her, but training's a different matter altogether. She's very odd. Thanks again for your comments, makes me feel a bit better and normal haha!

Jackien4 likes this.
  15. Bob Ford

Bob Ford Pickle the Mud Monster,

Apologies to normal humans Tha train dogs, Of all the trainers I had dealings with they all seemed a bit unstable LOL.
    I have one particular Neighbour that only has to be at their front gate & is pee's me off I don't know what it is. It might be because if I've done it they've been there done that only a hundred times faster or better.

16. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Think you'll always find one or two in whatever circle you're in. My Crufts experience was somewhat ruined by similar people. But I won't go into details on a public forum! lol

Bob Ford likes this.
  17. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

That's a shame. I gave up competing 20 years ago for one or another reason and just thought I'd dip my toe in the water again so to speak. Most people are really lovely and very helpful thankfully. There's always one though isn't there!

Bob Ford likes this.
  18. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I think you're doing well if there's only one person who pushes your buttons! :Hilarious

ouesi and 8tansox like this.
  19. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Haha, well there are more than one that's for sure, she's just the one that I find most irksome at the moment!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice