Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

That black 'thing'

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by CheekoAndCo, Mar 30, 2011.

1. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Was in poundland earlier today and a man was in with his guide dog. A staff member was helping him around the shop to get what he wanted and his black lab was just happily at his side. Well this lovely women :rolleyes: came in and when she saw it went upto the staff member and was asking why 'that black thing' is allowed in the shop. They are disgusting for letting dog in somewhere that sells food and the dog could easily attack a child :eek:

Staff member managed to deal with it well by telling her guide dogs are more than welcome in the shop and if she has a problem with it then go elsewhere :p

Really thought in this day people would accept guide dogs in shops but it seems not!

2. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Oh, FFS!!!!!

What else can one say, really???????

3. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Im glad the staff member dealt with that awful woman in such a manner

Worst one ive heard of is someone with a hearing dog being shouted and screamed at the person getting right in their face in a tescos store. I tell you now if I was there and someone was treating a deaf person like that I would give them what for!!

4. bobbyw

bobbyw PetForums Senior

Hmm, wonder if the woman's opinion would change if she suddenly found herself in need of such a great service dog.

Some people, I think I would just have been open-mouthed at someone saying such a thing before I regained the ability to speak!

5. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I just stood watching trying to make sense of what rubbish she was saying!

A man here trains guide dogs and he's really well known in all the shops by people that have lived here awhile but you can tell the people that don't really come here often because they are giving evil eyes at a dog being in the shop!

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I know guide dogs have to be allowed anywhere and my sister has one, but they are all heavily moulting breeds and it must be a nightmare for restaurants and the like to get rid of the hairs, and as for hotel rooms - the mind boggles. If my sister is here with her GSD the whole house is covered in hair within a very short time.

7. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

What a nipple :rolleyes:: :rolleyes::

I'd be more concerned about having people like her in my shop :yikes:

Em
    xx

8. bobbyw

bobbyw PetForums Senior

Well that is true I suppose, but where I used to work we used to see a reasonable number of service dogs and the hair left to hoover up was nothing in comparison to the mess left by children, suck as food ground into carpets, stuffed into vases, desserts smeared all over windows and basically anywhere they could reach etc etc.

9. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

The very idea of a guide dog attacking anybody is ludicrous, but I would be more concerned about a child hurting the dog. Why do people think children are so special?

Trouble is, these ignorant types have no idea about assistance dogs. They know about guide dogs, but other sorts of assistance dogs they don't even know exist.

Last year the council in Cornwall tried to ban the lifeguard newfoundland because dogs aren't allowed on the beach and he has had no proper training for the job. This despite the fact that he has saved many people from drowning, and what sort of training does a newfoundland need to do what comes naturally? Pathetic.

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

ooh, is there a lifeguard newfoundland - how brilliant.

11. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Quite a few, actually, scattered about the coastline, but mostly in Cornwall. They swim out to the person in trouble and turn around so that the person can hang on to their bum and get towed to the nearest lifeboat. They do lifeguard training with them all over the coastal areas as well, run by the Newfoundland Club.

12. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

Some people shouldn't be allowed to breath the same air as us sensible souls. What a stupid woman :mad:

Lets hope she never needs the help of these valuable assistance dogs.

13. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

OH FFS!!!

If I was the assistant I would have said " Guide dogs are welcome in shops madam, however if the gentleman had his sight and could get around unaided like yourself then no the dog wouldn't be allowed" :D:D:D

14. Debxan

Debxan PetForums Member

What a stupid, ignorant woman. What's her problem?.

Isn't society supposed to be inclusive now? You know, not exclude the disabled etc? Surely assistance dogs allow their owners to lead a more independent life and would be trained to a high standard anyway.

15. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Well, they apparently told her that if she did not like it to shop elsewhere! One of the Chinese restaurants near me got into trouble a while back because they refused to let a guide dog in. It certainly didn't do their takings any good when it hit the local newspapers.

16. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

oh I know was using my reply more to have a stab at her conscience ( if she had one)

Yes the media can come in useful and hitting them where it hurts like their pocket probably made more of an impact :001_smile:

17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

my sister was stopped taking her dog into a chinese restaurant. Must be a different one though as she is in Oxfordshire.

18. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

My sister has a retired guide dog and when he was working his owner was told that he couldn't come in the restaurant and it was the customers that said he could.

19. BubsyBear

BubsyBear PetForums Member

I'm registered blind and have had a guide dog, it's ridiculous the amount of comments like this you hear daily when you're working one, you also get people trying to take photos/videos of you on their phones without asking! :rolleyes:
    The best one was when a lady had a go at me for asking her to move the wheel of her kid's buggy off my dog's tail!

20. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

I work in a petshop where it is more than acceptable to bring your dog in but people still complain.

I had a complaint when i had Toby in, a customer was spouting how unhygenic dogs are and he had the right to shop without being exposed to my dogs germs :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice