Thanks for all your help. But now....

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Bebe1, May 16, 2018 at 11:39 PM.

1. Bebe1

Bebe1 PetForums Member

Im asking for more :)
    Ok. Last evening I bought a repeat script from vet for 6 months of Clomicalm. Ive bought the first months ( 69.00 at Petdrugs Online) and although I can barely afford it and have had to cancel my dog walker twice a week, I will try to afford the next 3 months, if it isnt helping by then I will probably have to stop.

Im determined to try to be more positive about this horrid situation though. I will be doing behavioir modification as always, although this isnt always easy as my daughter sometimes wont help with it, in that she refuses to do the "in and out of the door" multiple times a day for a few seconds, shes Autistic and I cant really force her to do it and it will only work if we both leave the house. But Im going to try!

Apart from the Clomicalm, when it comes, Im using rescue remedy in his water, and cbd oil. I have a Dap plug in but its run out and as Im counting every penny right now, Im asking if you think its worth me buying more refills or if Pet remedy plug in is better?

Also, as he paces up and down and gets up and down to watch out of the window, should I close the blinds or would that make him worse if he cant see out? ( Its not " stimulating" outside as such as its a very quiet village and can go a long time with no movement or noise outside, but he does stay up there looking out for me ) . Im wondering if he would panic more if he couldnt see outside? Im worried to do anything that might make him worse at the moment.

Ive just spread three lickimats with liver paste and they are now in the freezer, they are good because he is on a diet and I dont need to use much, but I need very low fat kong stuffing ideas too if anyone has them?

Ive just read the entire separation thread on here and found it interesting but a lot of the links didnt work unfortunately, although it was very helpful. But if anyone can give advice about the dap or pet remedy , the blinds situation and kong help, or anything at all, I would appreciate it.
    Im starting fresh with all this and want to throw everything and anything I can at it, one last throw of the dice.

Thankyou all so much x

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You can stuff his Kong with yoghurt, (natural), and freeze for a while before you give it to him.

Lean chicken works well too.

I don't have an awful lot of belief in the diffusers, but some may feel differently.

Bebe1 likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Pet Remedy works for us ! We have sprays and wipes too - and it sends OH to sleep too.;) :D

4. Bebe1

Bebe1 PetForums Member

I didn't know there were wipes! Lol thankyou, will look into that.

5. Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow PetForums Member

Probably shutting the window would help but you have to try and see. For the kong you can try mash banana or sweet potato, carrot etc.
    Ive never used the diffusers and things you mentioned so cant comment but I think you have to take a deep breath and calm yourself down cause as stressful as things are at the moment remember he is feeling your anxiety and it makes his SA worse.
    You are doing your best but you need to give it time now and see what is working for you and what doesnt.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Bebe1

Bebe1 PetForums Member

Thankyou. And yep you're right, I do need to try to calm down, I know I will be affecting him :(
    I've spent hours tonight reading everything I can on S A, I'm overloading my brain I think. I'm going to switch off now and try to sleep. Thanks for your help.

Whiteshadow likes this.
  7. lotlot

lotlot PetForums VIP

I have a dog with severe separation anxiety and the main thing I’ve found that helps her is to have less physical exercise, but hugely increase her mental stimulation. I never ever use a food bowl for her now. All food is either scattered around the house/garden/put in kongs/thrown in long grass on short lead walks....it’s changed our lives and I feel as though I enjoy her more now. I hope this helps, I know how stressful it can be

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I found no access to windows helped Jack settle when he came home from rescue.

If your dog is anxious he will be looking for the next thing to worry about so closing the blinds might help. Certainly worth trying. Also try teaching a “settle” with a kong/bed when he goes to look.

Leave the tv/radio on too as that masks outside noises and can make them feel less alone when you pop out.

Is he anxious on walks? If so have a few days at home just doing training/mental stimulation exercises to allow the stress hormone to clear from his body.

Then start again with short, stress free walks, avoiding triggers and rebuild.

9. Bebe1

Bebe1 PetForums Member

Thankyou. See this confuses me a bit as everything I've read says to give MORE exersise as a tired dog is less stressed? But I will definately try less exersise, thankyou.
    The food only being fed in a kong is something else I,ll do, so thankyou for that. I don't think I can scatter it in the garden as hes not on dry food but I can certainly feed his meals in the kong.

10. Bebe1

Bebe1 PetForums Member

Thankyou. Hes not anxious on walks as long as we walk away from our village ( due to another dog hes worried about here, and my anxiety over meeting that dog has rubbed off on him :( long story but there is a thread I did on it here)
    I will try closing the blinds though, thankyou.

11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe he’s on the look out for this dog, just in case that dog passes your house, especially when you’re out?

12. Bebe1

Bebe1 PetForums Member

No its really not that, this dog has only been in the village a few months and Dooby has been like this since we got him, hes definitely looking for where Im gone? He paces to the back door, then front door, then up and down at the window, constantly. Hes very chilled in the house when Im here and its only if we walk a certain way down the village that he starts to get hyper vigilant , but I know a lot of that is because I get hyper vigilant too. I dont walk him aroumd the village at all now if I can help it.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Different sort of tired. Head work tires a dog more (and differently) than straight physical exercise.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  14. Bebe1

Bebe1 PetForums Member

Ok great, thankyou

15. MissSpitzMum

MissSpitzMum PetForums Senior

Some dogs absolutely love raw veg, and it is very, very low fat. You could see if he likes a whole broccoli, cabbage or lettuce? Would keep him busy for a bit. Watermelons and melons in general are good too. Even if they don't like the flavour, some dogs just enjoy ripping them apart.

Bebe1 likes this.