Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thank you Rottiefan....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by myshkin, Apr 13, 2011.

1. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

....for your sound advice on dealing with my excitable collie and nervous aggressive JRT.
    In a very short period of time they've both improved. Using sausage treats for reward and frisbee (collie) and squeaky (JRT) distraction, we've seen big steps this last week. Collie can see his favourite people and not only manage not to bark, but also greet their dog before he charges at the human.

JRT will be slower, but we've stood close to a dog walking friend and their lab with him happily ignoring him (while being fed sausages :D). He was also petted by my two small nieces today - not his first contact with children I've seen, but the first one I've seen where he has gone over for a stroke. He was clearly a bit worried, but chose to go over, and they are sweet kids who were very co-operative about it being on his terms. A big step for the little guy, good to see.

So, more work to be done, but we have progress.:D

Big thanks! I kind of hoped a large/guarding breed lover would reply, because my belief is they usually have the best behaved dogs due to an enhanced awareness of others' perceptions! Cheers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice