Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thank You PetForums

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Helbo, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I've been thinking about the things that have inspired me and peaked my interest here on PF and wanted to say thank you to the mods and members. Yes this forum is full of different opinions, debates, arguments, funny tales, photographs and beautiful drawings/paintings...but most importantly, I've had some bloody good tips and advice from here!

I got to thinking because Charlie is 18 months old and is a pleasure to be around. But I was wondering how different his life might be had I not joined PF. I'm not saying he'd be a different dog, but PF has had a lot of input on some of our daily activities.

Without you guys Charlie might never have been fed Wainwrights, but a food of lesser quality. I may never have worked out that his sensitive tum prefers a food with rice. And I may have fed tins rather than trays out of habit.

We might have not found KONG, or not been tempted to try it, as the breeder only mentioned Nylabone. It would have been a big shame as all his favourite toys are Kong. Kong toys also helped us to keep Charlie busy when we go out.

You helped us find Stag Bars, CSJ treats and Antos treats.

I would have probably continued to stress out and struggle trying to brush Charlie's teeth, instead of trying Plaque-off.

I wouldn't be adding Garlic to his dinner, or cider vinegar to his water.

I might have been more tempted to have him 'snipped' but this forum started me researching things myself, and I've ultimately come to my own opinion rather than doing something because it seems to be 'the norm'. Same with vaccinations - I do vaccinate, but I came to that decision on my own after reading a lot about it.

I might have over-exercised him as a puppy...it is tempting with a high energy pup. I might also not have taken him to the local muddy field as often, but knowing it was important for a puppy to walk on soft ground where possible it pushed me to go more, and have more muddy towels :D

I might not have realised his naughty evenings were being caused by tiredness rather than naughtiness

I wouldn't have raised so much money for Beagle Welfare without the support and generosity of PF members

I didn't feel so panicked and alone during the difficult first few months of owning a puppy. And I knew if his teenage months were hell I'd have support on here.

And if nothing else this forum has showed me that in most cases there is no single right answer. Every dog and owner and household is different - there is usually a wrong way, but usually there are also several right ways of doing something too.

Thank you xx

[​IMG]

Dogless likes this.
  2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Fantastic thread; it is so very true that PF makes you question your ways of thinking and encourages research and broadening of horizons :D.

3. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

What a lovely post :thumbup1:

I'd have been lost without this forum when we first had Alfie :eek: those first few weeks were SO hard but reading about others' experiences and the assurances that it would get better really did keep me going :)

4. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

I agree, I too would not be feeding wainwrights without this forum, I would still be feeding bakers (as told to by the people I got Molly off)
    But, I am intrigued to know about plaque off, as I struggle to brush mollys teeth?
    and also, whats the cider vineger in the water for?

5. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Two things struck a cord with me personally in your lovely post.
    Doing your own research is essential so you can be confident in your decisions which, combined with the second quote provides needed balance. I do think too many people read one "experts" book and think it's the only way. I'm pleased you highlighted these. I only hope many more people can find their experience with these forums as useful.

6. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Plaque-off is a natural seaweed powder you add to your dogs dinner to keep their teeth clean. It isn't really effective for removing existing plaque, but it will prevent further plaque from forming. I don't brush Charlies teeth at all. He chews plenty, and has a scoop of plaque-off a day, and his teeth are lovely and white. The pot seems expensive, but you only need a tiny bit a day so it lasts a long time.

I add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of organic cider vinegar to Charlie's water every morning (he gets fresh every morning). It helps with their tear stains, grass burn, digestion and is supposed to deter fleas. If you decide to do this you MUST get organic so there have been no chemicals added or used in making it. Holland and Barrett sell some.

Theres a plaque-off for humans, and many people with regular stomach problems drink a tablespoon of cider vinegar...

#6 Helbo, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  7. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

Oooh thanks a lot :D

8. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

You're welcome :D

9. s4simo

s4simo PetForums Member

I couldn't agree with you more. PF members and their advise are invaluable. I came here last year when Bracken was very ill with thyroid cancer. The support and compassion I found was truly remarkable and people were willing to share their difficult stories of loss . It sounds cheesy but PF members are always there .. No matter what time of the day or night you need them :eek: please accept my thanks too xx

10. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Its about time we had a truly positive thread :D And I am truly thankful for all PF has taught me over the last 15 months.

11. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If you want to read more about the Plaque off here iis a link. There is plenty of places to buy it on-line from various vet pharmacies

SwedenCare | PlaqueOff – the natural way to oral health

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice