Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Testing the tracker-never again!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LotsaDots, Feb 22, 2021.

1. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

Dottie has form for doing a runner but has been loads better recently. I decided to get a tracker just as back up, today she decided to test it and my nerves! We were on a footpath not near the road but she just bolted. I obviously won't be letting her off again in a hurry, she was completely in the zone after who knows what. Had to corner her in a driveway in the end.
    Screenshot_20210222_181945_com.tractive.android.gps.jpg

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Jeez, that’s scary

3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Oh dear the tracker doesn’t really help does it just records the naughties! Loki wants to know did she have fun ?

Lurcherlad and LinznMilly like this.
  4. LotsaDots

@Boxer123 haha Dottie says tell the boys it was great fun thanks and she was only visiting some people to check they are coping OK and eradicate any vermin they may have.

5. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Eeek that is scary! I have considered a tracker for Ted but I rarely let him off!

6. LotsaDots

Well the tracker has confirmed that she can't be off the lead so it's now an expensive accessory! She's been so good lately I actually thought after 5 years of constant training we had finally cracked it, she spent a 3 hour walk off lead yesterday and was as good as gold.

7. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

They lull you into it don’t they! I get days like this where Ted is fab and barely looks for a squirrel and I think ‘oh maybe he could go off he’s been a good boy’. Next day he goes mad barking and lunging at squirrels and I think... maybe not... last time I trusted him he bogged off but was in the area so I eventually managed to get close enough to get him!

Ellie&cats, LinznMilly and Boxer123 like this.
  8. LotsaDots

Yep @Teddy-dog she's the master at lulling me in to a false sense of security I swear she was just biding her time!
    The tracker is scary though it shows just how fast she can move. When she's in 'the zone' she's oblivious to anything around her it's like she's possessed!

Ellie&cats, Teddy-dog and LinznMilly like this.
  9. GB70

GB70 PetForums Member

Looking at that blue line I just got an image of Wile E Coyote chasing road runner :)

If mine doesn’t stop eating I doubt she’ll be able to make a plot like that lol

Ellie&cats, ForestWomble and Boxer123 like this.
  10. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Oh dear @LotsaDots! Similar story to Tilly - it just confirms all your worst fears!

Still handy to have though for if dottie ever escapes the house, garden or slips her lead?

Tilly wears hers all day long, as it's sod's law she will disappear one day big style. And that is when the tracker could be a lifesaver.

Did you check dottie's mph or were you too busy trying to catch her?! Tilly seems to cruise around at 15mph which looks scarily fast.

11. LotsaDots

Haha I was mainly standing looking at the tracker in disbelief trying to work out where she was, although I did have to leg it in to a few peoples gardens who were thankfully very nice about it.

Boxer123, tabelmabel and GB70 like this.
  12. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I had this with Tora one of my previous goldens. She would go charging off in woodland after deer and get thoroughly lost. She was just oblivious to anything else, the other one would follow for a bit then retrace her steps by scent and would reappear a minute or so later, but Tora just kept going. This was all pre tracker days, would have been useful in helping us to find her. She was another one that ended up on a lead for months and months, then lulled into a false sense of security after several weeks of her not running off, she would just go and vanish again

13. LotsaDots

Ah I didn't check no I'm still getting used to it but it was moving pretty quickly. She was only free for 20 minutes and covered a lot of ground in that time. It's definitely handy to have and she wears it all the time now, it'll be especially good when we can go away again. We had to spend a fortune making the garden secure because she kept visiting the neighbours so there's no way out at home but doors and gates can be left open, especially when visitors are allowed again so it's a good security blanket to know she can be found.

tabelmabel likes this.
  14. LotsaDots

@Siskin funny how different they can be. My 7 month old pup is Dottie's half brother and he is always off lead he wouldn't dream of running off like that. Even when she went he didn't go with her he panicked because she was gone but stayed with me. Yet at his age Dottie was a nightmare, obviously still is but she would just blindly run off at full speed all the time. Even as a tiny pup you'd put her out for a wee and she'd be gone!

Boxer123 and tabelmabel like this.
  15. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh wow that gave me anxiety just looking at the road crossings!!

LinznMilly, lorilu and SusieRainbow like this.
  16. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

Maybe she wanted to make sure the tracker was working. :rolleyes:

17. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I bought loki one and he bogged off on the hunt for deer a week later and that was it no more off lead.

Maybe they think if they have the tracker on they think we won’t mind.

It’s so hard, my neighbour has two labradoodles litter mates. One perfect recall the other disappears. I was out running when he shot past me I tried to call him but no luck. He took himself home but she said she had decided to give him a chance but no more off lead. It’s funny his brother is so good perfect recall.

Just imagining you and little Billy rummaging through people’s gardens.

LinznMilly likes this.
  18. LotsaDots

Fortunately it's a very quiet area and she mainly stuck to gardens, there's nothing to hunt on the road so it's boring. However it is still worrying as it only takes one car I was glad she was at least wearing her flashing collar for a bit of visibility as she's black and it was dark.

19. LotsaDots

Poor Billy wasn't happy she'd abandoned him and made his feelings very clear by barking and whining the whole time. We definitely weren't inconspicuous!
    She's had so many chances it's ridiculous she'll go weeks and weeks without an incident and I can call her off chasing sometimes but then that switch in her brain goes and it's a different dog. People can't believe she can be like that as she's actually pretty obedient most of the time, I don't think she'll ever change unfortunately.. Well maybe when she's too old to actually run very fast!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  20. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

Oh you must’ve got a fright!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice