Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Testing the raw diet water - Not a good start

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by PeteJC21, Oct 6, 2013.

1. PeteJC21

PeteJC21 PetForums Member

Hi,
    Just been introducing a little raw food to the dogs as treats to see how they get on ready for a switch to a full raw food diet.

I gave Henry (Sloughi x Lurcher) a good sized chicken drumstick and handed it over slowly, getting ready to make sure he chewed it properly, but he just swallowed it whole immediately. I panicked and thought he was going to choke! It's been about 10 mins and he seems ok. Is this normal?

Thanks,
    Pete

2. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

When Mylo gulped stuff down whole when he started on raw the worst that happened was that he was sick a while later. If it stays down it should be processed fine but keep an eye.

I never start on drumsticks, actually I don't feed them at all though I know others do. I would start on chunks of meat or a wing which I would hold until they get the idea of biting and chewing.

Good luck.

3. PeteJC21

Thanks.

My wife is a little worried the bone it won't digest properly as it wasn't chewed and will come out whole, causing problems. I think she is wrong though and his stomach acids will break the bone down fine. is this correct?

4. Westy

Westy PetForums Senior

That's the theory Pete. If he'd caught a chicken then he would probably have eaten it like that. But keep a close eye on him and his rear end!

I also would have started with wings because they are more cartledge than bone and so softer. They're great for cleaning teeth!

Now you know his strength and will have to hold on to the end harder next time. :)

5. PeteJC21

He take me completely by surprise, he's such a greedy guts but I didn't think he'd do that. But yes will be a bit more careful next time and keep an eye on him over the next few days.

6. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

If you're worried about gulping there are two solutions either hold it or feed big pieces that he can't gulp. Try carcasses or even whole chickens rather than drumsticks and trade for it once he's eaten enough.

7. Linda2147

Linda2147 PetForums Senior

I feed raw but I grind everything. Bones and all, that way if they gulp the food there are no big pieces to choke on.

Raw bones will not hurt a dog, its cooking them that makes them brittle

8. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Dogs can and do choke on anything including minced food and just mince doesn't provide a lot of the benefits of raw. It does nothing for their teeth and it doesn't provide the workout that getting through a big piece can.

9. Linda2147

Linda2147 PetForums Senior

I make my own treats using beef heart, pork loin and chicken breast, They are nice and crunchy so they chew them and keep the teeth clean

10. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

Half small chickens are good to teach them to chew on and is a great meal size.

I am assuming your sloughi lurcher is about greyhound sized, 30 kilos?

So that would be about 900g per day total for your dog and half a small Tesco chicken would be about 500-600g. Then you can do a smaller meal of offal and meat chunks as well.

When I was fully raw feeding Quinn (greyhound), he would have 'whole chicken day' twice per week where he would literally get a 1 to 1.5 kilo chicken to eat and nothing else. That way he HAD to chew, then once he got better at chewing I went smaller and now give him drumsticks for breakfast.

11. PeteJC21

He's a bit underweight still and a bit smaller than a greyhound, he's currently about 23.5kg

12. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

Then a half medium chicken would be the perfect days food for him. You could do 2 days a week of half a chicken (no chance of swallowing that whole!) like I did.

I don't know if you are planning on feeding mince but my old plan for the dogs was:

whole chicken day 2 x per week, lamb ribs and mince 2 x per week, offal and mince 2 x per week and 'pot luck day' which was whatever I got cheap from the discount section at Tesco. :)

All of the bones I used to feed as you can see were too big to just be swallowed (rack of ribs, whole chicken) so you wouldn't have to panic about it. They do learn to chew properly quite quickly, takes a few weeks and then you can throw drumsticks and chicken wings at them and they will chew, they just need to get out of the inhaling process.

13. PeteJC21

Henry the Inhaler. Sounds like a 15th century King. :smile5:

Thanks for all the advice, will treat them to bigger chunks of raw from now on until they have learnt to chew.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice