Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Testicles!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lauz_1982, Apr 13, 2010.

1. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

Mac was lying down getting his belly rubbed just after his nap and I noticed that there were a couple of large lumps next to his penis. They were very firm. I got a bit worried and said to my hubby. I tried to show him the lumps but they were gone! When I felt them at first I felt further down to where his testicles should be and the little sacs were there but his testicles aren't very big yet anyway, certainly not as big as the two lumps were that had appeared. Am I right that these are his testicles and they are descending and that this is normal for them to appear and disappear? They have been and gone again a few times since. He's also started randomly cocking his leg the last couple of days – mid pee the leg goes up and he looks at it as if to say what’s going on there! Hubby is now known as the local weirdo walking about praising his dog for being a 'clever big boy!' lol! I’m pretty sure it is normal but would love a bit of reassurance please! Thank you!

Laura :)

2. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

Can anyone help please?

3. nikkix5

nikkix5 PetForums Senior

Hi, that happens with my 6mth pup as well, i just think it's when they get excited lol sometimes they are there and sometimes not, not sure what they are but i don't think they are testicles.:)

4. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

They were hard and the right shape! lol!

Hopefully someone can shed a bit more light on it for us!

5. nikkix5

nikkix5 PetForums Senior

Dont want to sound too graffic but could it be when the dog mates with a female that's what holds them together lol, i think we need some sex education on dogs bits :lol::lol::lol:

6. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Its debatable, some say the bitch holds on to the dog, some say the dogs holds on to the bitch, never really thought about it myself:eek:

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

It sounds like this was the part of his penis that swells up when dogs mate.
    Its actually both dogs that hold them together, the male swells up and the females muscles hold him in.

8. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

About 2 nights ago, I noticed the same thing on Ragnar--and his tiny little penis looked bigger as well. He's 18 weeks old now. And now, they seem to have disappeared, so I was wondering the same thing--do they appear and disappear as they are descending. Of course, he was at the vet yesterday and I forgot to ask that question!

9. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

It sounds normal to me its called the glans penis I believe a bulb at the end of the actual part we call the penis and before the testicles...Jill (it appears and disappears with excitement in the male dog)

wee man likes this.
  10. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

Ah so it is normal! Phew!

I was thinking about the wording of my op and should have put that it's not when he is excited and when his penis comes out (sorry!) but when it's 'npormal' as in more like his abdominal wall.

Crikey reading that isn't any clearer either! Should take a picture instead! lol! Poor Mac!

11. nikkix5

nikkix5 PetForums Senior

That's what i was trying to explaine :arf:

12. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

lol, this reminds of a thread on another forum where one member suggested that the penis had exploded :lol:

The bumps are nodules/glands that help to keep the tie, they are not the testicles. Please excuse the graphic photo :eek:
    btw... this isn't one of my dogs

Attached Files:

13. nikkix5

nikkix5 PetForums Senior

My dogs deffo getting the chop after seeing that :eek:

14. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

lol that bit will still be there after the chop :lol:

15. nikkix5

nikkix5 PetForums Senior

Yes but it won't stick out like that :eek: at least my other dog who has had the chop hasn't :lol:

16. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

17. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

Oh scary pictures!

Thank you for the replies everyone. Feel much more reassured now. Thank you!

18. Chloegal3

Chloegal3 PetForums Newbie

My puppy is 12 weeks old he had a vet check last week and I was told that only one of his testicles had came down, this worried me obviously when I went straight to google and seen it can lead to cancer, but I’ve also read a few happy stories that the other finally came down by the age of 12 months ish, but the vet told me I’m best getting him castrated? Which is a pretty major op on a little puppy and I’d like to wait to see if it comes down in the next few months, should I wait or go with the vet and get him castrated at 6 months? Also I have uploaded a photo, is this not the two testicles I got so excited to see?

Attached Files:

19. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

If he’s only 12 weeks old I wouldn’t be panicking yet. If it hasn’t descended by 6 months then you can weigh up the pros and cons of early neutering, but that’s a long way off!

20. Chloegal3

Chloegal3 PetForums Newbie

Okay, thank you for your advice! I will definitely do my research and get all the information as advice I can before I make the decision for when he gets done (if it doesn’t come down by then) and do you know if it’s a simple neutering or will it be a more serious op eg if it’s somewhere hidden? And are the little round things in the photo definitely not his testicles? Sorry for all the questions he’s our first dog and the whole family love him so much he’s really a huge part of the family already.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice