Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

territorial

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by GalaxyGirl, Aug 24, 2013.

1. GalaxyGirl

GalaxyGirl PetForums Junior

Hi guys,

I have a unneutered male rabbit called Sox.

I adopted him from a lady who had children who I would say were rough with him.
    I have two cats also which I am yet to introduce to Sox so I split the time in the day so they all have a chance to have a run around.

Sox is beginning to get braver with us and last night he jumped up next to me on the sofa to lay down. As lovely as it was he then came closer and wee'd all over me!! I cleaned it up, changed my jeans and he came and done the same thing again!?

Is this him marking his territory? I really didnt want to have to get him done.
    Oh hes a year old

Any advice would be great :)

2. hippymama

hippymama PetForums Senior

yep the only thing that will help is having him neutered , we have a boy bun waiting to be done and if we leave him free ranging anywhere he will mark everywhere , we are also hoping to get him a friend soon as they shouldn't really be kept alone

3. GalaxyGirl

Thank you for your reply.

Ok my little dude will have to be done I can't have him weeing everywhere he will set my cats off lol.

I have been thinking about getting another one as I have heard they shouldn't be left alone. Is it fairly easy to bond them? Am I right in thinking they get on better with the other sex rather than same sex pairs?

4. hippymama

hippymama PetForums Senior

thats right yes and they both need to be neutered :) , there's lots of info on here about bonding if you decide to get him a friend

5. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

It sounds to me like he is being territorial.

I bonded my two (male and female) just over a month ago. I took the print off the Bonding thread, followed the advice to the letter and its as though they have always been together.

However in future I will go to a rescue, the rabbits are neutered and most rescues offer a bonding service.

For me the pluses are that it takes the stress out of getting them neutered/spayed. It also takes the stress out of having to bond them and your rabbit is matched with one that suits him/her as opposed to one that we choose.

Obviously the bonus is that a rabbit who has had a poor start in life gets a second chance to have a loving home of his/her own.

6. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Was he spraying you, do you think, rather than having a wee? If so, he likes you!! ( in the absence of a lady bun, and with hormones a raging). Watch also, for circling and nipping (trying to get you to join in the chase!.

Only way forward is to have him neutered. This should calm him down, and stop any spraying. He will still be fertile for some weeks after, so you need to wait for 8 weeks before introducing him to a spayed friend.

Bonding needs to be donecarefull,y and can be tricky. No guarantees - rabbits need to be matched carefully for temperament. A good rescue can help you with this.

Have a read up on the bonding sticky.

7. GalaxyGirl

Wow thank you all for your replies you have been great!!

I will have to try and persuade hubby to let me have another bun and I will look into rescues so they can help with bonding as this seems a much better option.

I will also be booking him in to be 'done'.

He does circle around our legs and I did wonder why. Thankfully no nipping .. yet!!
    Hes such a character he now knows when we are going to put him to bed as we leave the top of his cage at the bottom of our stairs so he doesnt venture upstairs. As soon as we pick that up he shoots under the sofa. Cheeky thing.

8. Funky

Funky PetForums VIP

Didnt know that -Stuart sprayed my husband before he has been done.
    Your bunny is one year old so fully mature and should be neutered as this will frustrate him.
    I have bunny who is neutered and yesterday I have put new rug and noticed than he was scratching it and than he sprayed? Why is he doing that?

9. Funky

Funky PetForums VIP

Oh they are full of character and this what is lovely about them!
    Our bunny funky runs free upstairs but previously if we would leave house we would close him in his room- as soon as we try to take him out from our bedroom he run under bed and for one person was impossible to get him so many times he stayed there hahahha he was on antibiotic now and septrin smells like banana so he was fine when I was opening that bottle -he was coming to take it but as soon as he seen fibreplex he is under armchair and my husband lift chair and i pick him up! Always make me laugh
    I am glad you are taking your bunny for castration he will be so much happier nd calmer. Also it is great that your are thinking to take him a friend -bunnies like to live in pairs /groups.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

10. fesixunderground

fesixunderground PetForums Member

Before Thor was neutered I would lay on the floor and he would come and lay on my chest and i'd be all awww how sweet lovely cuddles....then he'd pee aaaaaaaall over me :rolleyes:

11. Lopside

Lopside PetForums VIP

Rabbits also pee on each other in the wild. It's a way of establishing hierarchy and a bond. Euw! The best one is when you get a mouthful of buck wee.....bleurgh!!! :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice