Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Territorial dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Fhd94, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Fhd94

Fhd94 PetForums Newbie

i have a 1 ½ yr old Boston Terrier and he is the most loving and friendly dog. If you met him out on the street he would have no problem letting you pet him etc but when it comes to being territorial of the home it’s a totally different story. He is VERY aggressive when deliveries arrive and guests who he’s never met come round. He is such a great dog but this one problem stresses me out so much. I’ve had advice from many people saying “that’s just how he is” or “that’s how Boston’s are” but I would really like to know if anyone has advice on how to stop this behaviour.

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

What happens?

What does he do?

3. Fhd94

Fhd94 PetForums Newbie

He growls and tries to nip/bite them. He goes for hands if possible and jumps (as Boston’s do) up at them. It can be very intimidating from such a little dog and it’s very hard to get him out of the zone once he’s in it and I’m worried it could end up in an accident. This is my first dog and I have seeked advice about it before and have had him at obedience classes etc to see if that would help but he is a very well behaved dog other than this one problem

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

It sounds as if he's wanting to play, rather than aggression.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Whatever his intentions just keep him the other side of a secure baby gate when visitors come, while you work on this.

Cleo38 and lullabydream like this.
  6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

‘That’s just how he is’ doesn’t qualify as advice.

I would look for a good positive based behaviourist to look at his issues on a one to one basis. At his age this is fixable so it would be worth the effort., but you really need someone experienced to see it firsthand.

It’s not ‘how Boston’s are’ either. They are generally easy going, sociable companion dogs.

In the meantime look at ways to stop him practicing the behaviour as the more he does it the more ingrained it will get. Try a light house line to keep/take him away from visitors, and employ stairgates at doorways to do the same.

lullabydream and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice