Territorial barking and attacking fence, new dog next door

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Rylee, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Rylee

Rylee PetForums Member

I am hoping to get some advice, my westie is 3 years old and neutered, he is friendly with most dogs, I would always trust him meeting a new dog on a walk etc. He doesn't like people he doesn't know coming into the house, I would never let someone just walk in. I think part of this is down to my other dog who wants attention and will jump up of the person, he doesn't like her getting attention, not that he wants it for himself as he's not really bothered by people. He's a very loving dog BUT he does get wound up, wining if he wants to get out in the garden if he sees a cat etc (I have cats but he wants to chase) if I open the door he would them launch himself outside barking. I obviously don't allow him to get what he wants from wining. When he gets in a frenzy its just like a person losing their temper, hes a totally different dog and goes into a complete aggressive melt down.

The main issue is this. My old neighbour had a very aggressive dog, it would go crazy the other side of the fence and he would do the same. He would bite the fence to try and get to it. I would always make him come inside immediately if the dog was out as if it got him I'm sure it would have killed him. It attacked other people's dogs when getting out of the garden. This dog has been gone 6 months but a new dog has just moved in a week ago. The dog is friendly but unfortunately he is, I think, scared. He has reverted back to the old behaviour of jumping at the fence, barking, biting it when he knows the dog is in the garden. The dog tends to ignore him, it will give one bark or so but that is it. He is also marking his territory along where the fence is. It's a wooden fence so he can't see the dog.

Can anyone advise anything. At the minute i am taking him out on the lead to correct him or if he's not on the lead I send him inside immediately if he does any of this. I will get a behaviourist in if I need to as I can't let it carry on but as it's early days still I'm hoping he will see the dog isn't a threat. I have spoken to the neighbours and suggested we walk them together so they can meet on neutral territory but I will have to wait and see if that materialises as I've not seen the dog be walked yet.

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Instead of taking him out on the lead and correcting him for barking, try taking him out on the lead and rewarding him (very yummy treats) for not barking.. Start at a distance from the fence when the dog is out and get a sit and reward. Walk by, and reward ......let him get closer but keep him relaxed. Reward every time he doesn't bark or get stressed. Practice.

And yes, call him in (don't send him in angrily) if the barking has started.

Walking them together may help so long as both dogs are friendly .....and for the rest you just need to break the habit I suspect.

J

Lurcherlad and Magyarmum like this.
  3. Rylee

Rylee PetForums Member

I have also been giving treats for the good behaviour and I think he is starting to work out what gets him the treats. We just had a very positive time out in the garden, not perfect by any means but better. Earlier he was terrible. So hopefully with some time and patience it might be ok. I have also just blocked off his favourite area to bark and bite the fence.

4. Rylee

Rylee PetForums Member

I will change the way I get him in though as I was going out myself and shouting him in. He has good recall with a whistle so I will use that to get him in.