Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Terrified every time we go out.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by max's mum, Jun 28, 2009.

1. max's mum

max's mum PetForums Junior

Lots of you might remember my problem from about 1 month ago when my dog unexpectedly attacked another dog - very nasty, not just a nip. Mine was on lead and the other came over to us.
    Anyway, cutting a long story short, I have gotten more and more terrified to walk him. Whenever we're out and I see another dog in the distance I go into a proper panic mode - sick feeling, dry mouth, teary, heart pounding etc. Twice in the past couple of days when out walking with my OH I have just turned round and walked home in tears when we've come across other dogs. Just can't bear it. He hasn't done it since so I know I'm being irrational to be so worked up but I really can't help it.
    Am already dreading the morning walk tomorrow. Fed up and my "relationship" with my dog is at breaking point. He's bonding more and more with OH.:(
    Just wanted to vent really!
    Thanks
    x

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Oh dear it really has unnerved you how awful i must have missed that one.How is he off the lead? i ask this as the most mild natured dogs can be nervous, possesive, protective when on the lead, you have to be carefull as your anxieties can be easily transmitted down the lead to your dog when he senses this as a dog is approaching he will instinctivly go for it to protect you, can someone walk with you for a while till you get some confidence back so they are holding the lead, and maybe when you see he doesnt react like you think he is will help you.

3. max's mum

max's mum PetForums Junior

We're going through training with him off the lead and stuff at the mo. we've only had him a couple of months and we haven't tried him off lead really yet as he is so alert for rabbits, cats etc. We're due to go back to the behaviourist next weekend for the final stage which will be him going off lead.
    Have tried walking him with OH but, if anything, I'm even worse. Then he gets annoyed wth me cos he thinks I'm overreacting (which I probably am but can't help it0.

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I cant blame you to be honest, its awful when you cant relax, good luck with the behaviourist, keep posting to let us all know how things go ime sure it will turn out ok. X

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Firstly, well done to you for seeking help and doing all the training you have done.

I cant even begin to imagine how hard it must be for you.

Do you know anyone with a literally "bomb-proof" dog who would be prepared to meet up with you and Max in some controlled situations?

Walking towards another dog can be extremely confrontational and make a dog nervous and defensive, but walking next to one can be a much easier experience. Of course have a far distance and perhaps a person between the dogs, but you would be able to gauge his response.

Maybe you could possibly walk someone elses dog to regain your confidence.

6. mickyb

mickyb PetForums Senior

Hi that's worrying for you, try putting a soft muzzle on him, if that helps you, because you both need to be able to go out, take care

7. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Hi, your nervousness is entirely understandable, but you can enjoy your walks again. Personally, I would put a muzzle on him - you will be able to relax knowing that he can't do it and he will pick up on your relaxed attitude too.

Edited to add:
    The soft muzzles are no good for exercising as a dog cannot pant. You need a baskerville muzzle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice