Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Terriers! Made me laugh

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LotsaDots, Mar 13, 2021.

1. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

Saw this on FB yesterday.. I am not sure of the original source as its been shared around on a JRT group.
    So true for Dottie, no fear whatsoever and completely in her element when faced with something (sometimes not so!) small and furry.

FB_IMG_1615318517035.jpg

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

LOL :D
    Little monsters for sure!

lullabydream and DaisyBluebell like this.
  3. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Love it!

I call my two monsters "brave little cowards".

When someone comes to my gate, my two will rush out of the house barking their heads off. The pair of them will stand there looking very tough and determined to guard their property against all foes ..... but .... if the person opens the gate and comes inside they're off like a shot to hide behind "mummy":D

They make me laugh!

4. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

Love it and so true.

I was trying to analyse just the other day why I loved terriers so much. I think that last paragraph just about sums it up, I like living on the edge.

In fact, dare I say it, I sometimes wish Daisy had a bit more naughtiness about her. She is almost to calm but is learning there is fun to be had. Alfie is teaching her the joys of a chase and lots more too.

5. LotsaDots

Dots is pretty good she won't touch the chickens or ducks and when my mum had Guinea pigs although I wouldn't have trusted her 100% she knew they were off limits. If its a rat, a mouse or a squirrel though the gloves are off she won't give up, I've had to drag her away with a bleeding mouth from trying to dig a rat out.
    Billy is definitely a JRT he has no fear, happily skips around the massive horse! And he will dig and sniff and chase if it moves but the intensity isn't there. He can already be recalled easily from a chase, that will never be the case with Dottie. It's an absolute dream to have a dog that wants to come back to you!
    I love Dottie to bits and there will never be another like her but boy has she tested my patience and nerves over the years!

lullabydream, margy, Sarah H and 2 others like this.
  6. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

I can't call Alfie off anything. Daisy is completely in love with food so I only have to give the slightest blow on the whistle and she is back. UNLESS there is poo to roll in, nothing wins over that. :rolleyes:

lullabydream, rona, margy and 2 others like this.
  7. LotsaDots

Billy loves a ball, especially a squeaky one. It works a treat for recall and distraction. Dottie has zero interest in anything balls, toys or food when she's out. The only way you can be sure of her appearing is to start up a quad bike! She loves to run with it so if she ever disappears when she's at the farm they just start up the quad and there she is! Not really a feasible solution for at home though!

lullabydream, rona and tabelmabel like this.
  8. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Neither of mine are interested in anything that lives more than 6 inches above the ground. But small furry creatures that live under hedges, piles of logs and in burrows are a different story completely.

One of Grisha's favourite occupations is searching them out:rolleyes:

DSC02708.JPG

DSC02710.JPG

LotsaDots, lullabydream, rona and 6 others like this.
  9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

He’s still young though isn’t he? McKenzie’s prey drive didn’t kick in until she was around 10 months old, before then she wouldn’t blink an eyelid at a squirrel or rabbit. Now she’s a total terrier!

Elliot will have a chase, but will give up quickly and come straight back, he’s nowhere near as manic as Kenzie.

lullabydream, rona, Sarah H and 2 others like this.
  10. LotsaDots

Oh don't tell me that! Yes he's only 8 months. Dottie was a nightmare from 8 weeks though, she would just run off randomly and at 6 months caught and killed a pheasant. He's a terrier, I know what I've potentially let myself in for but I'm hoping as he's very ball and food orientated I can keep his training going to develop his focus on me. He will obviously still be given plenty of opportunity to do what he's bred to do if that's what he wants but I am working hard not to have another that will have to stay on a lead forever.

tabelmabel likes this.
  11. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Although Tilly isnt a terrier, her prey/hunt drive didnt kick in until 10 months either. Up to that age i could walk her anywhere off lead and her recall was tip top.

I used to train her in a field next to the motorway! Seems incredible now when i think of it as no way could she be off lead now within half a mile of a motorway!

Sarah H and Boxer123 like this.
  12. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

:Hilarious

I love the description of 'monsters dressed in dog suits'.
    I don't know what Bungo would do faced with a wild small furry, but I know he loves digging, and I remember when he was a puppy I had to block the gap between the wall and the washing machine as he managed to get into that gap! Thankfully he got himself out of it too.

Magyarmum, margy and tabelmabel like this.
  13. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Oohh yes, know that all too well! Our PRT would take anything on. I mean he was good with dogs, livestock, people etc, but foxes, badgers, and anything small and furry was fair game. He was OK with the chickens, although he did occasionally have a lapse, but rats were his favourite and the time we had a nest under our shed he would sit there waiting patiently until one was just far enough out that he cold get it and BAM. Caught and dead in a nanosecond. He once came back from a jaunt rabbit hunting round our fields with a tooth hole in his thigh. Vet said it must have been a badger as it was too big for a fox. Considering it was daytime I expect he went down the wrong hole! I don't expect he backed down quickly either.
    I do miss having a little terrier, they are such cracking little dogs and great hot water bottles :D If a little feisty at times.

14. LotsaDots

My husbands colleagues terrier got in to a fight with a badger after burrowing in to a set.. It didn't end well for the dog he was lucky to survive and had to have emergency surgery. Didn't put him off though, he attempted to do it again not long afterwards.

15. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

why does that not surprise me?? :rolleyes:

lullabydream and margy like this.
  16. margy

margy PetForums VIP

Belle was a feisty terrier, she had a love hate relationship with a border that lived round the corner who we often met on the green. Most times she was friendly and greeted him then one day for some reason she disliked the way he came up to sniff her and pounced on him. Had her paw on his neck pinning him down. I was mortified and picked her up. We checked poor Buster to make sure he hadn't been bitten. Luckily it was just a skirmish. He wisely kept away from her after that.

lullabydream and LotsaDots like this.
  17. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I've got a large pile of 1 metre length logs in my garden that Grisha tried to crawl under. I've had to block any gaps where he could because if he did get under the logs there's no way I could get him out.

One of the jobs I must do this morning is to inspect the other side of my fence, because he's been sitting just in the one spot,fixated on something in the next garden. Took me forever to get him to come in last night.

18. LotsaDots

We had to spend a lot of money last year getting 12 conifers removed and a new fence put up. This is because Dottie kept escaping and visiting next door, she would climb up a 4ft high wire fence under the trees and drop down the other side. The neighbours didn't mind but the other side to them have pet rabbits and they definitely would not have wanted her paying them a visit! She escaped a friends 'secure' garden aswell once by climbing up a hedge, it was a big garden and there were other dogs to play with but no Dottie decided to go for a run around the neighbourhood instead. Oh and a 'secure' dog training field was no match for her she did 10 minutes of great agility training then squeezed through the bars of a gate, I spent the remainder of the lesson chasing her around, it was a very short lived agility career!

lullabydream and margy like this.
  19. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

We have a little female jack Russell in the village both the boys like her despite getting a good telling off every time she sees them. She is always darting about on a squirrel hunt.

20. LotsaDots

Dottie has about half a dozen dogs that are her best mates and deserve her full undivided belly up attention.. I have no idea why they are spared the spinning, snapping, mad thing that is Dottie when she encounters an 'enemy' but I'm always pleased to see them on our walks!

Boxer123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice