Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Terrier coat change

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PawsOnMe, Jul 5, 2017.

1. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Izzy 's coat seems to have changed. The past 2 years her coat has been hand stripped 3 times a year and her back is always a very glossy black with no pale bits. This year however she doesn't seem to have the same type of coat. She has no undercoat and her fur is light brown abd then black tipped. It's almost fuzzy candyfloss fur and won't hand strip at all (if it was stripped she'd be bald).

She was spayed last spring. I'm thinking this might have altered her coat.

I'm thinking I might have to clip her with the clippers but then the texture and protectiveness of her coat would be ruined.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or experience with this type of coat or what can be done for her?

20170705_173708.jpg
    20170705_173204.jpg

(There are no groomers nearby who will do hand stripping.)

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Quite possibly the spay in all fairness..

Although my spayed JRT was always handstripped.

A lot of show breeders of certain dogs say spaying changes coat type, and I would certainly agree to an extent. To be fair, if she can't be handstripped now, clipping her will be fine as there isn't any coat to ruin per se. Plus I know people who I guess wrongly clip when they should be hand stripped and couldn't give a monkeys as long as the coat is shorter, the dog looks fine and they are paying...their dog is a pet. I don't think they would know what hand stripping is!

PawsOnMe likes this.
  3. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Thank you for your reply. I've gone ahead and clipped her. She's looking so much paler and I was silly and almost cried when I did it as she looked really patchy but I've done her a bit shorter and she's looking a lot better and cooler for the weather. I just hope she gets her double coat back for the winter.
    20170705_225459.jpg

Magyarmum and lullabydream like this.
  4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Reena's coat has gone curly since she was spayed. She was handstripped before I got her but as she's no longer shown the breeder said clipping would be fine. So I guess in her case it's a combination of the cliping and spaying.
    Your dog is beautiful !

PawsOnMe likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice