Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Terrier attacked my friends dog.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Enna Addair, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Enna Addair

Enna Addair PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I was walking my friend home this afternoon with our two son in pram and her Doberman. Her neighbours dog runs out of the gate and grabs the Dobermans leg. All whilst our sons are crying due to the commotion. The doberman managed to get the upper hand and grabs the west highland terrier, It ended up with some puncture marks in the abdomen area and head. My friends dog was on lead and the west highland terrier was obviously off lead.

We did not get an apology and owner was more concerned about the puncture Mark's, despite her dog initiating this. She is now threatening my friend with the police. We are both extremely shook up as well as our children.

What's your take on this?

2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like you and your friend need a big glass of wine ;)

I've had the same thing happen to my dogs, a few years ago so I can quite imagine the scene. Happens so quickly that you don't have a chance to prepare, much less react.

You've all had a bad scare, and at least 1 dog now needs veterinary treatment, so emotions and stress are through the roof. Things are said in the heat of the moment that aren't necessarily meant - in other words, whilst she might go to the police, there's every chance it's just bluster.

Either way, by the sounds of it, the neighbour's dog is in the wrong.

3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

The way you describe it, the neighbour’s dog was out of control in a public area. The neighbour is in the wrong, so if anyone should be reported to the police it’s her. You could point that out to her; or you could report her to the police; or you could wait and see what happens. It really depends how you feel about it and what your relationship is like with the neighbour - when everyone has cooled down a bit, perhaps.

Enna Addair, Cleo38, Sarah H and 2 others like this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Defo her dog was breaking the law imo.

Her dog was out of control in public.

Enna Addair likes this.
  5. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Im sorry to hear this . The terrier owner is definitely in the wrong.

Enna Addair and rona like this.
  6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I'd not worry about it. If anything comes of it there are 2 of you able to give your side of the story.

7. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Um. the dog wasn't in the wrong or breaking the law :p
    The owner was.

The threat should come to nothing, but if you are really worried, just mention it to the local warden before they do

8. Enna Addair

Enna Addair PetForums Newbie

Thank you everyone for your replies.

We are going to let things simmer for a bit and my friend is going to speak to her when she next sees her. They used to say hi to one another upon passing each other but are not close neighbours. Hopefully my friend is able to have a speak to her.

9. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

I hope you get it sorted - some folks are just difficult, however. We have what I can only describe as a toxic relationship with a neighbour after she reported my wife to the police (in her panic to get our reactive rescue dog away from this woman's terrier, my wife dropped the lead and our dog ran at the woman's - no teeth, nothing like that, but all Hell broke out). Actually, the relationship had been that way from before that particular incident! The fact that our dog's reaction to the terrier goes back to when the terrier came through an open window and went for my dog in the road is - apparently - irrelevant! The really interesting thing is (from a dog behaviour point of view) that my dog has transferred his fear of the terrier to the woman herself! Either way, she's a bully and a very unpleasant character and there's no trying to discuss it with her; some folks are just cut out that way. (The police came round - very pleasant about it all - but just said 'try to keep your dog on a lead in future' - and I reiterated that he was, just that my wife had unfortunately dropped the lead in all the fuss!)
    Good luck - I'm sure it will all blow over. :)

kimthecat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice