UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently Bowie's claws have got so long she keeps getting caught on things. They are still really tiny and she squirms whenever I hold her paw for too long. Anyways I thought it would be best to go to the vet and get them to show me the best way.
I must stress Bowie is a total joy of a kitten, typical laid back ragdoll who has never been agitated or aggressive.
Well with in a second of the vet trying she went crazy. The nurse had to scruff and restrain her which just made her worse. For 5 minutes (felt like hours) she screamed the place down, making noises I've never heard an animal make let alone a little kitten.
It was incredibly distressing and all the vet said was I'd clearly been letting her get away with murder at home. The only time she is ever vocal is when we leave her room to go out or to bed but she stops after a few minutes and we never give in. She is spoilet but I wouldn't say she gets away with murder.

Bowie obviously hated the experience but didn't hold a grudge with me and if anything was extra cuddly when we got home, phew!

Has anyone's else kitty reacted like this and any suggestions what I can do so we don't have to go through it again. She has a large cat tree which she uses as well as a scratching block on the floor.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
When my old cat got long claws I would (with help) hold him and push my thumb against his pad to expose the claws and with human nail clippers just snip a little off each nail.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
No thank goodness I've never had such an experience at the vets, how horrible to say he gets away with murder at home. Going to the vets is such an alien place.

I usually wait until the cats are sound asleep then lie next to them stroking them and playing with their feet, finally pushing on the pad to expose the nail and then give them a quick cut. On one or two occasions they have hardly woken up!!!!!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
When Geoffrey was a bit under the weather when he was little (food allergy & eating household items :rolleyes:) we had a horrid vet visit. The vet took his temperature and Geoffrey went crazy. The vet got a nurse in to help hold him and in the end it took both of them to hold him down while he just screamed the place down. He even bit the vet! :eek:

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Some vet's not all have not got a clue nowadays , I have just changed mine as when i took Remy for her second vac, after banging on about how he does'nt care for breeders . When i said who the breeder was there was an instantanious "oh she's very good, spends a fortune" then proceeded to shove the thermometer up my kittens botty relatively roughly ,when i grimaced he said "what's up" i said " would you like me to do that to you" "in that way " ...... Anyhoo maybe i will post a thread on the whole debacle ! sorry for ranting on your thread but some vets are really insensitive :mad:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Awww sometimes it goes like that, but I must admit I would have been cross if my vet said that. I bet, just to prove you wrong, next visit will be a breeze!

I bought some clippers that look like pliers with a guard on to stop cutting to much, and use the when Bibi is full of Dreamies and relaxed. Do you have both upright and flat scratchers? I find Bibi needs both

Also, you can get a file to file the claws instead which may be a bit easier..

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
I think it's the smell and unfamiliarity that can make the most placid gentle cat turn into crazed wild eyed demon, much the same way as we get affected by 'White Coat Syndrome' was the vet maybe trying to be a lighthearted when he said you spoilt her.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I really hope next time is better. To be fair she is an indoor kitten who is only used to a safe house where people fuss over her, I can imagine the big bad outside world where people prod her and pin her down is scary.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe....the vet is nice and was joking about how she's a ragdoll and not supposed to be so sassy. She was more serious when she made the spoilet comment though and I did get a bit of a sense of judgement, I think even she was shocked by this beautiful kitten turning in to a monster! I tried to explain she's never like this at home but I'm sure she hears that a lot haha

·
Riley
8,255 Posts
As we have been numerous times over last couple years I can't really complain about my vets, they do fuss him and do things on his terms. Tonight was the only time he has played up and gave a hiss to being weighed, normally he is very good, but I put it down to number of recent visits rather than vets!! One of them actually once kissed him before weighing him....

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Some cats are just evil about claws!! When I got Oscar, my BSH, i spent time just stroking his paws, applying mild pressure etc and he went mental every time, from day 1!! As his breeder hadn't really done them, we took him to the vets to do where he proceeded to go mental!!!

Since then (he is 7 now), the vet has done them a couple of times but we do them mostly and he screams like he is having his paws chopped off! We have to be extremely firm in our handling, much more than we would normally do but there seems no other way as we have tried everything!! However, he is our friend immediately afterwards, comes around purring which totally leads me to believe that the histrionics are just for show!!!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
My boy had to have his claws done when he had a sedative for his bloods, if the vet is very lucky she can get a few done but it is stressful.

Maisie won't let me trim hers, have managed 2 or 3 but she runs off. However, she sits motionless at the vets and so we take her there when they need doing. She even stays on the scales after she is weighed and has to be lifted into the carrier to go home.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I don't know if this is any help at all but we take our little dogs to the groomers. We hold them while she trims their nails. Costs about £3.50 at our groomers shop.

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
I have one who goes absolutely loopy if I ask the vets to clip her claws. In fact, if I ask anyone to do it except me. She will, well not happily but will, lie on her back for me and let me clip, but at the vets she literally screams herself hoarse. My vet is super, good handling, makes froends with them again afterwards, does lots of cuddling, so I know it's not her, but Gobby Gabby really lives up to her name when she goes there. I've accepted that I'm going to have to just do my best with the claws.

·
Registered
622 Posts
OH im not the only one then!! my wee kitten is so wriggly getting claws clipped too. I can normally manage the left paw but as soon as i start on the right he just wants down. Im going to ask the vet on Sat to do them for me as they are like razors at the moment.

My other two are normally not too bad although i usually only get a few claws at a time but i just keep the clippers with me and each time they come for a cuddle do a few of them.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Cookie doesn't like her claws clipped, I struggle on my own. I might get a couple done but not all, when I have been to the vets to see either the nurse or the vet which ever one has asked me to assist, once we even had to wrap her in a towel.

Just wondering why your vets are asking for reinforcements (other staff) and not asking owners, surely your kitties would be far calmer if you held them.

Cookie also heads for the scales on the table :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just wanted to chime in, as someone who does this on a daily basis at my clinic.

It really is true that the sweetest, most docile kitty can turn into a ferocious samurai warrior at any given moment at a veterinary clinic. It's not that they are "bad" or "mean" they are just afraid and doing what is perfectly normal to protect themselves from a perceived threat. It's also not necessarily the vet's fault or anyone else's.

It sometimes comes down to safety. The hospital staff are trained to restrain an animal so that it can't hurt themselves or the staff or the owner!

I can say in my experience, owners are not allowed to restrain because they haven't necessarily been trained how. It's intended to protect everyone involved, a major legal issue, and occupational hazard for workers.

As far as the screaming goes. Oh boy, it's not fun when any animal starts screaming. I imagine that is very upsetting to a lot of people. But again it's not necessarily something that can be helped. Some animals scream like we are murdering them when we are barely even touching them. It's just a fear response. I have been at the front desk, with a red face, assuring clients we were not torturing any animals in the back. Though it sounds like it.

I agree and encourage that you learn to do nails yourself. It's cheaper and less stressful for everyone.

My clinic teaches owners who want to learn. No additional charges.

Peace
LinZ

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.