Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

terrible time in kennels

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by littlefairy, Jun 14, 2010.

1. littlefairy

littlefairy PetForums Member

last weekend we had to go to Scotland for our neice's wedding and had to put Storm in kennels for a few nights - the 1st time we've left him. We chose one that was recommened by a family friend who uses it several times a year.

when I rang to say we were nearly home and would be picking him up the owner was v rude and said they were closing in 5 minutes, we were about 15 mins away so I asked very politely if they could stay open for a few more mins as I really didnt want to leave him there another night, the guy hung up on me!!! when I tried ringing back it went straight to voicemail :mad:

I rang again using my daughter's phone and guess what?? he answered straight away :mad:

When we got there the owner said we were upsetting all the other dogs by coming this late - 6.10pm???? and he had his licience to think about.

He grudgingley let us in and went to get Storm, after 10 mins he came back and said could one of us get Storm as he wouldnt come out. My daughter went and Storm flew at her, Meg said Storm was in a small cage in a dark room cowering and shivering :mad:

I was in reception talking to my son and when Storm heard my voice he flew at me wagging his tail madly, the owner said they'd had problems with him and Akitas dont do well in kennels, a kennel owner who cant tell the difference between an Akita and a Mal????

By now I just wanted to get Storm out of there so I paid and we left, when we got home Storm drank 7 bowls of water and was STARVING and his harness was on upside down :mad:

I feel so guilty for taking him to that horrible place, thank God he was only there a few days, I dread to think what he would of been like after a week poor thing.

ps Storm is now fully recovered and happy.

2. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I think I would be writing to the kennels and asking a few questions... In If I got no answer go to your council...

Doesn't sound a very good kennels.... When i put mine in thye showed me the kennel and give me a leaflet.... My dog was sound there.... Picked her up no probs and picked her up out of the kennel.. Obviously she was chuffed to see me, but no stress...

3. littlefairy

Yes I will be writing to complain and ask questions, at the time I just wanted to get Storm home asap.

4. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Definitely complain. If you get no were with the owner then tell them you are going to complain to the council. They issue him with his license and they may have had other complaints about him.

The last time we went abroad 4 years ago we put ours in a kennels we had used regulary. We always put the dogs in ourselves and fetched them out ourselves. This time they wouldn't let us. When they bought William out he was thin as a rake and covered in sores and pooing brown water. We took hi staright to the vets and sent the bill to the kennels. William was severely dipressed and all the girl who works there said was ' Well he's a greyhound they don't do well in kennels'!!!!!!!!!! They never went back again. Some wre I have photos of the state he came back in. They said the sores were not there the day before but they were green and full of fluff from a blanket. They siad he got to hot and was lieing on concrete as he was too big to go in the kennels with outside runs he couldn't get through the outside door when I cleaned them up and as there had been a chaamp show the day before I checked the results and they had been at the show that day.

5. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Aww poor Storm! I refuse to put Holly in kennels. She stays with a local friend who also has a cavvie, and she loves it :) Eventually I would love to run my own home boarding.

6. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

That is disgusting:mad::mad:
    I'm just happy Storm is ok now, and I would definintely make a formal complaint.

7. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

Aww poor storm :(. Definately complain! Years ago one of our gsds went into kennels for a week and when we came to pick him up he wouldn't heel for the owner of the kennel so he kicked him :mad:. My dad had to hold my mum back from killing the guy :lol:. None of ours will go to kennels, i don't trust anyone else with my dogs now. Hope storm feels better soon :( x

8. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling PetForums Member

I would definitely complain, kennels have a responsibility to look after our pets as well as they reasonably can. Dogs should be fed and exercised and kept in humane conditions, it's not difficult is it?

Personally I would never put Sookie in a kennel, she has difficulty with other dogs and I fear that an abusive person would think she was being difficult and hurt her, also she would be frightened. I don't plan to go anywhere on hols but if I did I would take her with me. She's a rescue and it saddens me to think what she has been through, I want to make sure that from now on she has a good life.

Kennels should be randomly inspected and closed down if sub standard, the problem is that for non dog people it's just an animal and is not important. Name and shame the bad kennels, they might take notice when it starts costing them money.

9. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth PetForums Member

Thats terrible, so sorry you had a bad experience. I had one too years ago thats why when I was able I started to home board and not charge a fortune for it. I hope your boy has recovered now x

10. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

This is exactly the reason i didn't want to put Oscar in kennels when we went away :( A week is such a long time to leave them if they are stressed.

I just didn't think he would do well in that sort of environment.

We found a great solution this year for our holiday and found a dog friendly cottage with a local dog walker who took Oscar off our hands in the morning and delivered him back to us in the evenings. We did this 4 days of our holiday and it cost just £40.

The woman was fantasic and Oscar had a great time and proper walks every day :thumbup:

11. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Oh god how horrible defo complain poor storm :(

12. littlefairy

Thanks for all the replies, I'm not a fan of kennels as we only ever put Toby in once and when we picked him up he had chewed his leg v badly but as this one was personally reccomended and we had no one to leave Storm with I thought he would be ok for a few nights. I shall be complaining and if I get no joy I will take it further. I will let you know what happens x

13. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth PetForums Member

14. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

Ah I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with the kennels. This is awful, it's bad enough for you having to leave Storm without the kennel staff being rude to you and poor Storm being so thirsty and hungry :( If it were me I would certainly be complaining about the kennels - direct to the owner.

I take mine to a lovely kennels and the experience I have is the complete opposite and that's how it should be because it's upsetting for you. When I have to leave mine I hate it, but at least I know it's a great kennels, all the staff are lovely and he'll be enjoying himself with all the other dogs.

Have a look around hun for some better ones. If they can't be accommodating and polite to you they don't deserve your custom. I know kennels like to stick to opening hours but they could have politely said to you that they were happy to stay around just this once for you to collect Storm but point out it is the exception to the rule. What's more if they didn't want to disturb the other dogs and since you had the courtesty to phone up beforehand what they could have done is took Storm out of the kennel block before the end of closing time and brought him into the reception for a bit until you arrived! That would have been the nicer thing to do. There's nice ways of doing these things without spoiling your break. Bet Storm's glad you're back now.

Good luck and I really hope you get an apology from them.
    xx

15. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Poor Storm, I have to go away sometimes and it's not fair on my mum to look after Maya so I use Barking Mad, I decided against kennels as I didn't want her to think she was in a shelter again :eek:

Good luck, i'd be throwing a massve hissy fit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice