Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Terrible Terrier

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by 4nimalL0ver, Aug 14, 2019.

1. 4nimalL0ver

4nimalL0ver PetForums Newbie

Hey,

I was wondering if there is anyone who could help me.

My west highland terrier mix has recently started nipping at ankles and barking at anybody who tries to leave the house. As soon as anyone walks to the door, let alone open it, he’s angrily running at you!

I’ve tried changing my routine to help him get out of his routine, but it doesn’t seem to work?

I can only assume it’s due to him becoming older, and so possibly trying to dominate us? But it’s starting to get worrying as I don’t want him to be stuck in this loop!

If anyone has any idea of why he’s doing this, or how to stop him, please do let me know!

Thanks!

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

How old is he?

3. 4nimalL0ver

He was a rescue, had him since 2013, so at least 6 years

4. lullabydream

When did this behaviour start?

Does your dog know basic commands like sit, stay etc so you can move freely?

Has there been any recent changes to your routine such as working hours are longer?

What type of stimulation does he have in a day? Walks, mental stimulation.

I can categorically say he's not trying to dominate

5. 4nimalL0ver

I would estimated it started about 4/5 months ago? Possibly longer?

Yes, I try to teach all my dogs basic commands when they’re younger, and he has generally ok callback.

We have a large back garden, which is always available for all dogs, and so he spends most of his time running around there.

We started trying to walk him when he was younger, but he hates leaving the house or front garden? He once escaped his harness and ran back inside! He also plays a lot with the other dogs, so he isn’t alone.

6. lullabydream

Personally if I was you, I would get a vet check and if given the all clear request to be referred to a behaviourist.

It sounds with this dog, and your other you need some professional help so that you can all live harmoniously together. There seems to be lots of barriers, lots of stimulation lacking; playing with other dogs really isn't enough and not enough exercise away from the known if you can't take your dog on walks, he sounds very complex

7. 4nimalL0ver

Okay, thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it.

Do you have any suggestions for stimulation other than walking? It’s quite near impossible to walk him

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice