Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Terence has an allergy- A diary

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by terencesmum, Jan 3, 2012.

1. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

Before I start, I'll warn you: This will be a long post. :eek:

Well, Terence is allergic to something, but I am not sure what it is. I am hoping that the combined wisdom of the forum might help.
    We first started noticing that there was something wrong with him at the start of November, when he developed a couple of little bald spots. We took him to the vets for some skin scrapes, but they came up completely clear. Over the next few weeks, more and more spots started appearing. He didn't appear to be itchy and there were no spots or anything like that.
    Over Christmas, he stayed with Sleeping_lion. She kept an eye on his spots for me and he was also on a limited diet of just chicken and tripe to make sure it wasn't dairy or lamb that he was reacting to. Now, in the 2 weeks he stayed with Sleeping_Lion his bald spots got way worse. He also has raised spots and SL said he also sneezed a lot and had green mucus coming out of his nose.
    He has been back home now for a couple of days and there has been no mucus and only the occasional sneeze. Now, SL suggested it could be dust mites as she has a big open fire which obviously creates a lot more dust. I have been wrecking my brain thinking of other things it could be, after I got an excellent PM from Lexilou2 (I will reply soon, honest :eek:). She suggested checking between his toes etc to see if it could be grass pollen etc. There is nothing between his toes but the skin on top looks quite pink (just like all the skin under his white bib).

We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow, and I am unsure whether to ask for an allergy test. Lexilou2 told me her own vet said they were unreliable. Any experiences or opinions??

Also, is there anything that helps with the coat loss? The coat he does have is in great nick, he just happens to be bald in places.

Thanks for sticking with it. :)

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Maybe he liked man without a beard so much, he's following his *style* ;)

Good luck at the vets tomorrow, from all of us :)

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Flea bites? I think Kenzie's allergic to them as she came out in little lumps that didn't bother her after I stopped giving her Billy No Mates. She was still always treated with Advocate but apparently Advocate kills fleas when they bite but BNM stops them jumping aboard.

4. terencesmum

I did consider this, but he is de-flead (is this a word??) regularly and SL hasn't noticed anything, so I think he's clear. *goes off to check Terence* :eek:

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

No signs of any unwanted passengers, definitely seems to be skin/coat loss problem, I know Terencesmum has had a skin scrape done to rule out any nasty infections previously.

6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Sorry can't help except to say I've also been told that allergy tests were unreliable.

Would it be worth trying a different diet? My bitch with a food intolerance/allergy is currently doing very well on AG Sensitive (Ocean white fish and potato) as I'm not convinced she isn't allergic to meat.

The only other suggestion is that if your conventional vet can't find an answer, it might be worth asking for a referral to a homeopathic/holistic vet as they are usually very good at diagnosing these sort of problems.

7. terencesmum

Tried Terence on a really reduced diet (chicken and tripe, he's on raw) to see if there was any improvement on his condition. There wasn't any change in his condition.
    Sl also suggested a holistic vet. Sounds like the next step. :)

8. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

I'm going to watch this with interest as, well you know Lexi is a walking allergy and although my (new) vet was very honest about allergy testing etc a lot of what we have worked out with Lexi is a process of elimination although....her feet have got me stumped this time can't work out whats causing it.

terencesmum likes this.
  9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Kenzie was de-fleaed every month with Advocate, but even so when I stopped the BNM I think fleas were jumping aboard and biting and then falling off again. Just saying don't discount it just because there aren't any fleas on her, I never found a single flea on Kenzie either.

10. terencesmum

:eek: Didn't know that could happen!! :eek:

11. terencesmum

Well, the ever knowledgeable LexiLou2 has sent me some links, so I thought I'd share them if other people are looking for some info.
    This is an old PF thread:
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/82681-dust-mite-allergies.html

This is quite informative:
    Celia Haddon's Pets' Problems Page

This is info for humans but you can take some pointers about general "cleanliness" in the house.
    How to sweep away the dust mites | Mail Online

Some pictures:
    Canine Allergy Guide

My favourite link:
    Dust Mite Allergies: essential care tips : MedicAnimal.com

Right, off to give LexiLou2 some rep. :D

12. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Fizz had so many skin and blood tests done over the years because of her allergies and not one of them have gave me an answer, all i ever got was that it was an allergy but they don't know what to. The only thing that helps but doesn't eliminate is raw food which i know you already do and i never use any other product that this
    Aromesse Natural Animal Healthcare Products for Dogs, Cats and Horses

13. terencesmum

Thanks Hun. I am still dithering whether I should ask for the allergy test. Suppose, I'll see what the vet says.

14. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

I would strongly advise you to have the allergy testing done. I have a dog with a dust mite allergy and was told the testing was unreliable so I didn’t have my dog tested for a good while. However, his allergy was just getting worse and worse. He would bite and scratch his skin so much it would bleed. Coles is now having immunotherapy treatment and his symptoms are a lot better. I note you are taking Terence to the vets. I would discuss allergy testing with the vet.

Also to relieve the symptoms I use dermacton spray available at the link provided by Clare7435.

HTH and please keep us updated.

15. terencesmum

Well, I have just come back from the vets and to say I am angry would be an understatement.
    We saw a different vet today, a very friendly lady. She diagnosed Terence with MANGE!!! Now, I pointed out we had some skin scrapes done 2 months ago and was told they were clear and how that was possible. She just apologised.

So he doesn't have an allergy. Just something that should have been treated 2 months ago. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

16. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Is it demodex mites? The non-contiguous mange? Your dog could still have an allergy. My dog has demodex mites but he has got them due to his allergy to dust mites. The allergy has weakened his immune system, thus making his susceptible to skin infections, mange etc.

I think you would be better off seeing how Terence gets on with his treatment for mange and if his skin clears up, then that will probably be the end of the matter, if not, get allergy testing done.

Hopefully Terence will feel better in himself now you have some treatment for him.

17. terencesmum

Yes, it is demodex, so have advocate for him and also some anti-biotics for 10 days. We are back again in 2 weeks to make sure all the mites are dead. Then, hopefully, his skin will get better.

18. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Annoying that it should have been diagnosed two weeks ago and the vet needs shooting, at least you know what it is now. Far better than trying to sort out allergies.:)

19. terencesmum

I thought I'd update you anyway on Terence's progress, even though we are now dealing with Mange and not allergies.

He got his dose of advocate yesterday and antibiotics. He seems very subdued and chilled out, and very cuddly (but this is more because we have only brought him back home on Sunday after he stayed with SL). He seems quite licky, but he is eating and drinking well. The scabs on his leg seem a little better.

Fingers crossed, he'll be back to his normal gorgeous self soon.

20. terencesmum

If you read back, Terence has been diagnosed with Mange now. I am a bit angry with the vets because I went to have him checked for parasites and they did a skin scrape 2 months ago, but it took lots of faffing around, a different vet and Terence looking like he'd been dragged through a hedge backwards to get the diagnosis. :frown2:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice