Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

tendon in front leg

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Yomper, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Yomper

Yomper PetForums Member

How bad is an inuury or cut or torn tendons in dogs legs.

i took my dog for a long walk this morning and when he come back i wondered why he was lying down for so long. it was only after a few hours when he got up and limped we noticed in his front leg wrist it was a dark red colour and swollen. still pished off with myself for not spotting it sooner and givin him attention

took hin quicky to the vets and got referred to another vets as they think something may have got into there and damaged his tendons/joint.

there going to sedate him and xray him soon and get back to me.

I am sick with worry for my dog as he was a very bouncy dog and loved his 3 hours walks a day. if he has damaged his tendons will he still have a full use of legs and be able to run and play?

also £500 for xrays and a consultation is the price quoted just for starters as it was an emergeny trip let alone the cost of any treatment does sound qquite excessive.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Have you heard anything yet?

Was it a dew claw injury?

If it's tendon it's usually a much longer recovery than a broken bone

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Its hard to say not knowing what his exactly done to it but trauma can cause degrees of sprain injury to the wrist. Usually the worse the trauma the more swelling and lameness. Sometimes wrist injuries can cause hyper extension and the foot looks more flat to the floor. Hopefully he has a low grade sprain or injury and often rest, and sometimes supportive bandaging can help it to heal. Strains and sprains and soft tissue can take a good time to heal sometimes though.

Only other though as the vets seem to think something could have gotten into there, may be a grass seed, the barbed ones can go in at the foot such as the skin inbetween the toes, and can migrate up a tendon causing inflammation swelling and infection. Can you remember if it felt hot to the touch that's often a sign of infection and/or inflammation.

Hoping it is something that although ay take awhile can be sorted quite easily although it may take awhile.

4. Yomper

Yomper PetForums Member

We got oscar back from vets last night after his op. it seems something punctured his leg and although it went into his wrist joint it looks like it mssed his joint and any tendons although the vet couldn't be 100% sure the vet has flushed and cleaned the wound. the swelling has gone down loads already and he seems a lot better hobbling around today
    antibiotics and pain killers in hand although i think by tomorrow he won't need any pain killers as his improving. my fingers are crossed it doesn't go infected and his back to his usual bouncy self and long walks very soon. :)

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Relieved for you that there doesn't seem to be any serious injury or damage.
    They often give a long acting pain killing injection when they operate, so just keep a watch on him and make sure he doesn't overdo it, sometimes the pain killers can mask the pain, and they think they are better so are not so cautious about doing things.

Wishing him back to 100% health soon.

6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

That must be such a relief. Fingers crossed it continues to improve

7. Yomper

Yomper PetForums Member

Thank you. his back to his normal self today and would love to go for a long run but have been advised by the vet to be careful and keep him on a lease and give him little and often walks for a week or so just in case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice