UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, my Kimi is having her first litter any time now , and we are currently on day 56/57.
i began taking her temperature rectally with a digi thermometer about 4 days ago, and managed one good reading, but since then she will not entertain me putting the thermometer anywhere near her, the second and third time i tried she cried , wriggled around,sat on it, and finally just walked off lol.
is there an alternative way to either take her temperature( tried her ear, she wont have that either), or to know that labour is imminent without the temp drop?
it would be handy to have any pointers, as each evening if i feel shes acting 'odd' i have been preparing to stay up with her, and am currently not getting much sleep . would rather conserve my energy for the unavoidable sleepless nights rather then waste them now lol.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I couldn't do the temperature taking when our girl was due, my OH had to do it, I found this much easier lol

When he was working however I did try but I stuck it in her ear, I did get a reading but it was slightly off so I just had to hope and pray that the drop wasn't missed.

There were signs that told me she was about ready, the mucous plug started coming away and she had little bits of mucous dangling from her back end after having a wee. She was also quite restless, couldn't seem to get comfortable lying down.

A couple of days before the pups came there was lots of movement, you'd swear there was a little party going on in there, then the day before it went all very calm, with hardly any movement. Right before she had the pups, there was a rather large sack of mucous and water that was just poking out and then hanging out of her, I thought it was a pup at first.

Don't know if any of this helps but there are loads of threads on here about whelping plus quite a few more experienced members who are very helpful :)

Good luck with it, let us know how she gets on and we always like to see photos... lots of photos ;) xxx

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that, i have done endless and exhaustive research, have a great breed mentor , and hope i am fully prepared , im just disapointed that im not able to do the temperature taking with her, as icould really do with that signal that we're nearing the end .
she hasnt exhibited much nesting behaviour, although she did have a good dig in the whelping box a couple of nights ago ( hance me falling asleep on the kitchen floor just in case lol), but she has had some clear mucuous loss , a couple of days ago, and is mainly sleeping , and following me everywhere .
there has been puppy movement every day up to now, although today i have noticed she seems to have a line down the middle of her stomach , with bulging either side, and im wondering if thats the pups lining up ?
her lower teats are like udders now lol, she has shed almost all of her lower bely hair and is losing more by the day, but i am at a loss without the temp readings to know if she could be very near , or she may go another 4 or 5 days or more.
at this rate i will be a walking zombie by the weekend lol, and a nervous wreck to boot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Cat and ev1,
My girl is day 60 today and I am managing (with a bit of a struggle) to take her temp rectally three times a day. I find the best way is when she is layed down and use loads of KY Jelly.

I have found her hiding in various 'dens' she has made in the garden over the last few days, she has made her foot sore from digging under a holly bush!

She lost a 'dollup' of stringy clear mucous on Sunday and still has a clear discharge.

She is sleeping intermittently (very heavily asleep when she does), still eating, but only chicken/ham and looking at her flanks and back end a lot.

Pups are partying....lots of movement still!

I think the most obvious sign that she is getting closer is that her vulva (and surrounding tissue) has become very swollen and puffy since yesterday afternoon, so we'll see!

Good luck Cat, hope to hear good news from you soon x

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hope so Cat, Day 61 (only just as it's only 03:30...been for another trek round the garden!) Temp is 98.2 so hoping we have our drop!

Have you managed to do Kimi's temp? x

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nope, she wont even entertain it next to her skin concealed in my hand. i think i may have to give up and just watch her for signs as its really stressing her out , and i can do without her falling out with me at this stage lol.

·
Registered
154 Posts
HI Cat, my pups are now 3 weeks old, I had the same problem as you and was at my wits end, but I actually found she got better at letting me doing it as the time got nearer, her were born day 63. Also I found my kids were much better at doing it than me! Good luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
will let my 15 year old take over the attempts before i give up completely, she has way more experience in this kind of thing as shes done a btec in agricultue and horticulture,( plans on being a vet , has never waived from that ambition from the age of 5 bless her)( shes also doing 11 gcse's , with mostly A* predictions) and all her work experience has been with animals( she tells me if she can take a cows temp rectally she should manage the dog fine lol).( she has also helped birth 4 litters of kittens at home , including cutting their cords, breaking sacs, delivering breeches etc, very handy young lady to have around lol).she also has this amazing animal whisperer kinda quality, all animals seem to absolutely love her ( and she prefers them to humans hehehe)
that will work fine over the weekend if she gets a better result, but if Kimis still hanging on by monday , then i would have to do it as daughters back in school, and bang in the middle of gcse's right now .
she also plans on being there at the pups births, and will probably do a brilliant job...not at all squeemish, and happy to glove up and dive in almost anywhere lmao.
will let her have a go tonight and see how we get on

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
2 lots of pups due immintly Wow. Its going to be busy on here

What pups are we waiting for cat43 and tlw?

Sending you all the best for the whelpings.

x

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ooh how exciting , good luck tlw. im sure chira would love to come help, where are you based lol.
deb52, mine are akitas , heres some pics of mum and dad
first my huge and gorgeous Demon

and this is my girl Kimi today, looking rather like a beached whale

she actually looks bigger in the flesh so to speak

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
ooh how exciting , good luck tlw. im sure chira would love to come help, where are you based lol.
deb52, mine are akitas , heres some pics of mum and dad
first my huge and gorgeous Demon

and this is my girl Kimi today, looking rather like a beached whale

she actually looks bigger in the flesh so to speak
Aw bless her...bet she is finding it hard in this warm weather.

Good luck to you both.

Keep us updated

Doesnt sound long tlw

·
Registered
16 Posts
Awww Cat both Demon and Kimi are stunning....I can't wait to see their babies. Do you know how many to expect?

My girl is most definately in stage 1....she has diarrhoea, weeing loads, vomited twice, digging in her bed, pupils like saucers and has that look in her eye! but no sign of straining or pushing yet. This could be a long night! Bet she's waiting for OH to go to the pub and my son to go to bed (although he's brilliant and is not looking in on her at all, just gives her a hug when she goes out to wee).

Thank you for all your good wishes, will keep updating and hope I have good news soon!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
aww big hugs for your little one hun , sounds like shes in for a long night, ( and you with her).
we dont know how many were having yet, and i keep trying to tell myself theres days to go possibly. but today Kimi has been a little strange, shes getting in the whelping box more, hardly eating, and has vomited earlier, but only bile.other than that shes sleeping , and still wanting to be wherever we are.
plus i did discover earlier when washiing the kitchen floor, that she has been digging near the door , and i am gonna need a new floor when this is all over lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.