Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Temporary long-term accommodation for cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by spitzoid, Jul 2, 2009.

1. spitzoid

spitzoid PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

We have owned 2 great little cats for just over a year now since they were 12 weeks old. They have been living with us in our rented accommodation during this period but now, due to the credit crunch and me losing my job, we have to move.

The only problem is that we are going to be staying with my girlfriends parents for 3 months (to save up some money by living rent free). We really want to keep the cats but cannot afford (nor do I think it is fair on them) to put them in a cattery - looking at prices it seems as though it would be about £700+.

We have asked friends & family if they will have them but nobody is willing to take them - they have either got pets of their own or just don't want to.

Can anybody give me any advice on what to do??? Is it a simple choice between:

1. Cattery
    2. Friends & Family
    3. Give them up

Or have I missed something?

Thanks,
    Elliot

#1 spitzoid, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  2. I am assuming you cant take them to your girlfriends parents?

There are a few things to do first...

I would contact your local small rescue centres - not big national branches but smaller local ones who use foster homes more than kennels.

They may be able to help you out wit harranging temporary foster homes for your cats while you get back on your feet. They may charge you a fee, and expect all vet/food/litter costs to be covered but it should be much cheaper than a cattery.

If that fails,

Ask your local vets, one of the vet nurses may be willing to look after them for you... or they might know someone who will.

Dont give up yet! Its a horrible situation you are in but fingers crossed something can be done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice