Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Temporary cat home?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cats31, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Cats31

Cats31 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, just joined this site cause i am in desperate need of some help and/or advice
    I have had 2 female house cats for about 5 years now and have had them since they were old enough to leave there mother,
    Recently my landlord has decided to tell me that I can no longer have pets in the house because it is has recently been decorated, and has only given me one whole week to get the cats out of the house permenantly, needless to say I am currently looking for elsewhere to live,
    but my problem is this, no body I know can take the cats, or just doesn't want them, its only really for a little while until i can get a new place to live sorted, and i certainly dont want to give them up by taking them in to be re-homed
    Any help in this matter would be much appreciated, i am at my wits end with worrying about losing the cats.

2. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I don't know the legalities of this, but have you contacted the CAB to see if the landlord can change the tenancy aggreement at such short notice.

3. Cats31

Cats31 PetForums Newbie

its all above board as there was a clause in the contract saying this could happen at any time

4. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

If you have been given formal permission to keep pets before, I think it isn't legal, and he cannot force you to 'get rid of them'.
    If pets were never allowed but he knew about them and tolerated them, I am less sure, but you still might have a case.

5. Cats31

Cats31 PetForums Newbie

I have been to see many people about this over the past few days but if anything can be done its moving far too slowly so I need to temporarily house the cats somewhere for now until it is at least resolved or i am in a new home,

6. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

You might want to explore the possibility of catteries. It is not ideal, but if you don't find a temporary home within a week, at least you will have a place to house them until you do.

7. Cats31

Cats31 PetForums Newbie

catteries seem to be too much money for 2 cats would end up taking a sizeable chunk of my available money

8. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

Any chance of being able to reason with the Landlord in allowing them to stay until you move?

How about offering to pay for any potential damage - though I can't quite see what damage house trained cats would cause personally.

9. Cats31

Cats31 PetForums Newbie

suppose i could offer to "pay for any damages" but the way this landlord goes on, i wouldn't be allowed a bluebottle in the house if it flew in

10. Pheebs

Pheebs PetForums Member

I would contact Shelter for advice. Your landlord would very probably have to go to court to evict you (unless you live with your landlord or something like that) - that takes time and so you don't have to get the cats out right away, unless you decide you want to stay in the flat and rehome them.

What do you mean by a clause which says this could happen at anytime, though? Do you mean a clause that says he can ask you to leave at any time or a clause that is something to do with keeping pets?

#10 Pheebs, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  11. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

I think it depends on "exactly" what is written in black and white in your contract to see where you stand.

12. Cats31

Cats31 PetForums Newbie

sorry would have replied soon but cant find where i have put the agreement, i remember it being along the lines of something like "pet situation may be changed without prior warning" or something like that

13. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I don't think it would be very pleasant for OP to push the situation so that the landlord took eviction proceedings, it would also make it much harder to get another property as now she would be labelled as a problem tenant.
    OP.....is there really no way he will listen to reason? Are you a long term tenant and happy in this house in other respects? Most landlords would be reluctant to lose a good long term tenant who pays the rent and looks after the property. Could you offer to re-decorate when you DO finally move out? Or leave a bigger deposit???

14. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

To answer the original question, I don't think one week is legally any kind of reasonable time scale so he cant enforce it in any way.
    Why not ask in local vets if any of the nurses would be willing to offer temp housing for a reasonable fee?

15. Cats31

Cats31 PetForums Newbie

I phoned the vets this morning and none of the nurses are able to take them, but to answer the other question, I have only been in the hone for about 5 months so i'm probably not seen as a good lasting tenant

16. Cats31

Cats31 PetForums Newbie

But just incase the worst still comes to the worst does anybody know of anywhere that would take them for a few months

17. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Totally unable to help re fostering your babies but can suggest that you offer to increase the value of your original deposit to cover any 'potential' damage your cats 'may' cause. Few landlords can resist the chance to have more of your cash. (NOT including any of the REALLY nice ones on here of course....!!:D) Also, offer to have the carpets & furnishings steam cleaned when you vacate the property. These suggestions usually tend to soften up most landlords.

I've lived in several 'no pets allowed' rental properties, with my cats, because I did both of the above. :)

Good luck.

18. tashax

tashax PetForums VIP

My old landlord tried this on, legally they have to give you 28 days notice for any change in the tenancy agreement, have you tried catteries?

19. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Another thought......

Is it possible he's trying to get YOU to move out asap so that he can charge more rent for his 'newly decorated' property???? :001_huh: He's using the cats as an excuse because there are less tennents rights that way... :confused:

20. kinley

kinley PetForums Senior

to be fair i think the only options available are the ones already been given, a cattery being in my opinon the best. yes it may cost money (maybe can get a long stay discount) but at least they are safe and well till you find a new home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice