Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Temporary alternative to raw for holidays

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Teenycygnet, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Teenycygnet

Teenycygnet PetForums Junior

We went on our first caravan trip away last weekend. It went well, but one slight issue was my Toller’s food - he’s DIY raw fed and 3 days’ food took up quite a lot of room (ie beer space!) in the pokey little fridge.

We’re going away for 7 nights later this year and I was considering moving him to a non-raw wet food for the duration. I’ve read the pinned wet food post & was thinking maybe forthglade or natures menu, something with a high meat content but I’m interested in peoples recommendations for a young, high energy dog please. Before we moved him to raw, his farts could clear a room and his poos were disgusting smelly & lose so I really want something high quality (without being ridiculously expensive). Also is it be best to change him over a couple of weeks beforehand, to let his tummy settle? Dog squits in a caravan do not sound like fun!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Gentle is formulated to be compatible with raw; that said, it might just be a marketing thing.

Teenycygnet likes this.
  3. Teenycygnet

Ok thanks I’ll have a look at that

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Will you have hook-up? If so, you could use an electric cool box for extra cold space. Dog food in the caravan fridge, beer in the cool box perhaps?
    Then there's be no need for a change of diet.

Teenycygnet likes this.
  5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I tend to pop into Pets at home half way through the week or find a local butcher. I also take kibble to bulk out the raw. The boys are also partial to scrambled eggs.

Teenycygnet likes this.
  6. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Forthglade is really good in my opinion. Never fed raw though so no idea if its any good as an alternative.

Teenycygnet likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

My two had Wainwrights and did tiny poos until something changed and it upset them both. Forthglade is supposed to be the same but it did not really suit them. Natures menu did not suit them at all.

If you are going to change them I would do it now as an experiment for a week, then if all is well change them a week before you go away. The last thing you want is a dog with the runs in the caravan. One of mine had a bad bout of it when we were at a site, it was not much fun going out in the dark and hoping she went in the long grass at the back of the caravan.

Picklelily and Teenycygnet like this.
  8. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I would grab some Forthglade and also some kibble, something like Platinum or other semi-moist. My lot go mad for this and it's great for using as training instead of raw or freeze dried stuff.

Torin. and Teenycygnet like this.
  9. Teenycygnet

@Burrowzig I did think about the cool box idea but we need to be careful re weight with the caravan and our fridge box thingy is really heavy. We’re not going too far so I could potentially come back and get it once we’re set up though

Thanks all, lots to think about. Yes @Blitz the runs in a caravan sounds horrendous and I want to avoid that at all costs!

10. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I changed T on to Platinum and he adores it.

Teenycygnet likes this.
  11. Teenycygnet

thanks I’ll have a look at that too

12. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Funny you should say that about Wainwrights, we changed from raw 3 years ago because we were caring for 3 sick relatives which made properly balancing a raw diet difficult, especially as our freezer was full of prepared meals for us. We found Wainwrights and Lilys kitchen was fine until last year when something changed and she had upset tummies, became itchy and her coat got oily. We tried Forthglade which I found awful as it obviously has a lot of fibre or bulking agents leading to lots of big yucky poos. We are currently using fish mongers finest trays or which doesn't upset her tummy but does still seem to be higher in bulking agents.

Anyway to the original question, when we were raw feeding and away in our caravan we took tinned sardines in oil or pilchards (make sure to drain and rinse the oil off. I bagged 3 days raw meals before we went to be kept in the electric camping fridge. One bone meal of ribs from the supermarket, 2 sardine days and some minced beef from the local shops usually got us through a week. Don't forget you can use a tin of tuna (in spring water) alhough only once per week. Chicken from the supermarket works if it isn't salted and your dog can eat poultry. Your best friend is the reduced section as you can get raw feeding bargains.

You can also bulk the food out with some cooked brown rice if you feed grains. Sardines and pilchards will also give you your bone content. Fresh Mackerel is cheap and easily fed. Again, the oily fish options only 2-3 times in the week due to mercury content. Avoid bargains of salmon from Scotland if your dog is MDR1 positive. Personally we are currently avoiding all Scottish farmed fish.

Try all options before you go to avoid upset tummies.

Teenycygnet and Boxer123 like this.
  13. Teenycygnet

Thank you this is really helpful!

Picklelily likes this.
  14. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I feed raw and we also have a caravan although we are sited ,if mine can't have raw for any reason I feed Rocco mine love it and you can actually see the large pieces of meat in it I also use Acana grain free for them with no tummy upsets from either food:)

Teenycygnet likes this.
  15. Teenycygnet

Thanks I haven’t heard of those, will check them out!

niamh123 likes this.
  16. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Recommend you join BARF UK on FB as get loads of help on these types of issues.

I use Akela Dry and Wet as an alternative...if I have too...

Teenycygnet likes this.
  17. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

You can get freeze dried raw which maybe okay for few days :) I always take my raw with me but if you can't maybe buy each day meat out of supermarkets or butchers which I also do :)

Teenycygnet likes this.
  18. Teenycygnet

thanks both for the recs , appreciated!

new westie owner likes this.
  19. Teenycygnet

Thanks for all your suggestions & advice. After weighing up & considering options I’ve decided to put him on Platinum for the hol. Looks high quality stuff, (70% meat & no nasties) and very reasonably priced. I got some samples (excellent service, arrived next day!), he was on them for a couple of days, had no ill effects & gobbled it all up!

Hol is in 3 weeks time so I’ve now bought some to start him off now so he’s fully transitioned for hol, at least then any issues with gut/poos/behaviour etc will be picked up in advance of the trip. And if worse comes to worst Plan B is bung him straight back to raw & just make a few trips home or to local butcher during the hol. Feels really weird moving away from raw even temporarily but I feel relieved about it so that usually means I’ve made the right call. Thanks again for everyone’s help.

Picklelily and Sarah H like this.
  20. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I honestly wouldn’t worry the boxers always have a change on holiday including fish and chips.

Teenycygnet likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice