Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Telling the difference between your dogs ...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sailor, Jan 2, 2012.

1. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I was just wondering if people with multiple dogs can tell the difference between their dogs, going by sounds/touch alone?

There are times when I think Sailor is playing up... so I call out Sailor to stop it, then discover it was Ace... or while Im sat at the desk, and I feel a lovely warm head plonk itself on my lap and I say, awwww, how sweet you are Ace... then when I go to fuss/look I realise its Sailor

Ace has only been here a few months, but finally there is one thing that I can always tell the difference between the dogs (when not looking) and that is the sound of the licking!!! :lol:

Sailor is very slobbery wet and manic when he licks anything, like his paws for example... where as Ace is more quiet and controlled and his teeth bite together after each lick.
    I can also tell who is on the stairs, because Ace walks on the stairs, but Sailor runs like a herd of elephants :rolleyes:

Anyhow since that, I have been trying harder to tell the difference between the dogs without actually having to go and look who it is, with failing results!
    When I wake in bed to a dog beside the bed, I put my hand out and fuss their face and try to guess before I look... and I have actually got it wrong a couple of times :eek: I was shocked, because Ace has a slightly thicker coat and his ears are more pricked, not to mention Ace is more calm and gentle! So I am clearly not as intune with mine as I could be !

Can anyone tell the difference between their dogs without having to look first ? How intune are you with your dogs ?
    If you dont know, go and see if you can tell the difference, call them over and fuss them with your eyes closed... guess which one your fussing and open your eyes to see if you got it right ... or next time you hear one of the dogs upto no good out of sight, guess who it is, then go see if you are right, I always get that one wrong because I think Ace is an Angel and Sailor is clearly always the one who misbehaves :eek:

(those with a Chihuahua and a great dane, might find this one easy, but I am thinking more those with dogs which are similar to each other)

2. Mophie

Mophie PetForums Senior

I don't have a second dog to tell the difference with by touch but from sound I can. I know what Donnie's voice is, and can pick out his bark from a selection if the dogs in our area are all sounding off.

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Hehe yes - but only because my dogs couldn't be more different if they tried! I've got two skinny lanky greyhounds, a stupidly large and chunky crossbred Mastiff, a little squirt of a Westie and a huge hairy beastly Bernese!!

So they obviously all feel very different to the touch, and whilst the greyhounds seem to float around as if they are walking on air, the big lads almost make the ground shake, and the Westie scuttles everywhere like a little mouse :lol: so I can generally make a good guess about who is causing trouble even if I can't see them! - their barks are different too, so I normally get the right one when I call to them in the garden to be quiet!

4. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

Mine are very similar in a lot of ways,especially to touch,although Cravens ears are the most gorgeous,softest,velvety ears ever,and even though Flints ears are soft and lovely,they are not quite like Cravens.:biggrin:

Craven has a beard which gives him away when I touch their heads.:laugh:

Touching their bodies though,they both feel the same,so I often get they mixed up when they are both on my bed.:confused:

They both sound the same going up & down stairs and have got that wrong many a time when one comes up to my bedroom,without looking I will say hello ......... and it turns out I'm wrong.:eek:

I can tell them apart by noise when they are eating raw as Craven chews the meat off his and Flint rips the meat off.:eek::

Flint is a snorer:eek: whereas Craven is a quiet sleeper.:)

5. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

I can tell the difference by touch alone. I also know whose having a drink of water out the bowl by the sounds they make, lol! :D

6. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

My two sound very different, Henrick has a very deep voice and Bella is the opposite end of the scale (yappy little madam;)), they are also very different to touch, Bella is smaller, with shorter more course hair. When one of them whines its harder to tell but I can still usually tell.

7. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

I can easily tell by touch , cos I just have to feel their ears ... also their barks are very distinguishable

8. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

Admittedly I spend 99% of my time with the dogs so I'm very in tune with them. Can always tell who is barking, recognise them by touch in the dark, can tell who is licking me from the feel of it, etc etc. It's no easy task when you have 6 though, I tell you! :D

9. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I can tell this lot by their barks they are all so different also by touch and when they are asleep i can tell which is which when they snore it always makes me smile when people ask how i tell the tris apart and when mum had Rotties people always said they looked alike but they were so different when you knew them.

10. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

I admit touch is easy my three are all different but I can tell by the way they drink water , by the snoring when they sleep, the bark 100% but also the little snorts and wimpers.. the way they come downstairs, Remy does a pitter patter run Benny does a ka bonk ka bonk bounce..

I can also tell whos been sick if I come home and find something nasty.. they each respond differently if they are the one who did it...Oscar insists on pointing it out running back and forth showing me the nastyness..Benny will hide and avoid eye contact and Remy will slink up like he's scared Im about to kill him..
    Only the 'gulity 'party behaves like this the others go about their normal business

11. Tollisty

Tollisty PetForums VIP

me too :lol:

12. sazzle1986

sazzle1986 PetForums Junior

I can tell whose walking around house as Max never picks his paws up and Paddy walks like a prancing fairy so can hear his claws tapping on lamiate flooring :lol: Max also yaps where as Paddy barks.

13. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Sailor and Ace rarely ever bark! So I cant tell the difference, altho Sailor seems to have a very quite but forced bark... almost like its all too much effort :lol: Where as Ace has a more pitched frantic bark.

Here I am with just two quite different dogs and get it wrong sometimes, so I am in awe of your abilities :D

Altho I cant tell who is drinking out of a bowl by the noise... I can tell afterwoards by the mess :lol:
    Sailor gets it all over the floor and I end up slidding through it :rolleyes:
    Ace has more manners and barely spills a drop!

It is really interesting to read through all the differences between your dogs, it really does prove how very different and individual dogs are :D

14. Tollisty

Tollisty PetForums VIP

At the kennels I can often tell what breed/type of dog is barking! I can also recognise the regulars barks :D

15. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I can tell the difference between Fletcher and Flint. Flint has a ring of cement and 19 pins holding his head, neck and spine in place, Fletcher doesn't!:D

I can also tell which one is walking down the hallway and which one is having a drink.

16. Reiterin

Reiterin PetForums Member

I can tell the difference between my dogs, too. But that is very easy; one dog is smal, the other one is large. But even you could tell the difference between them if you had sawn them one time. :eek:

17. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I can tell them all apart by touch (well, I do have a rough coat, a short coat and a wire coat!), I can tell them apart by sound and I can tell them apart by how they touch me - each dog has it's own way of getting my attention.

18. Wyrd

Wyrd PetForums VIP

I can tell who's drinking from the water bowl as well :D Their barks are all different as well.

19. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

I can tell mine apart whatever they are doing. Even the way they turn over in bed- but I do spend all day, every day with them. They are so different in behaviour that the way they approach things is very different- they scratch themselves differently, and eat differently, the way they sniff our faces in the morning to wake us up is different :rolleyes: :D daft dogs.

20. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I can most of the time.

If I have my eyes shut and one comes over Dixie has a short nose that is Very cold! And its usually shoved into my hand. Dave snuffles as he comes over, not sure why :confused: and Xiva has quite hard hair and a longer nose.

Xiva runs everywhere so I can tell if its her moving about, Dave is quite heavy footed and Dixie is the one with longer claws so I can hear her clicking in the kitchen, which is a different click to the noise Xivas double rear dew claws make when she trots :lol:

I can tell who is whining not one of them has a whine the same as the other even though they each have more than one whine and their barks are very different too.

I can tell who is having a drink too- Dixie drinks in threes, three laps and a pause, never varies.
    Dave takes big laps, constant until he has had enough and Xiva takes really fast laps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice