Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tell me why it has to be a Terrier ??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by paddyjulie, Nov 9, 2012.

1. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Everytime I think about a different breed in the future...it always end up being a terrier ........... am I just a glutton for punishment :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

so..Why, do you go for a terrier ?

and..pictures would be nice :D:D:D present/past or future :D

2. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

Because they are full of character, independant, fiesty and totally lovable x

3. Dumples

Dumples PetForums Junior

You might be lucky enough to find it's been crossed with a woolly bear, like our old fella;)
    (he was supposed to be Lakeland Terrier):)

#3 Dumples, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I will hold my hands up and say terriers are not usually my type of dog! :eek: Alfie however is something special, I adore that boy.

He's the type of dog you'd wouldn't like if he wasn't your own! :eek: He's aloof, couldn't give a damn about anyone other than me (and my husband when he feels like it!) and is child aggressive - but he's such a sweetheart around the house, a real cuddle monster in the evenings and throws his absolute heart and soul into whatever is asked of him. He will do what he is asked, when he is asked, and I'd trust him with my life.

He has such an incredible zest for life. He's coming up to ten years old now but covers a good ten miles a day, all offlead and mostly running at speed, and is as fit as a fiddle. He's going blind with cataracts, but you wouldn't know unless you were told - especially if you saw him catching a bunny! He's got that true wicked terrier spirit, and is a fantastic game little dog.

Alfie is seven kilos - and lives with dogs that are fifty, seventy and eighty kilos - and I'm sure you don't need telling who is in charge! ;)

I shouldn't think I'd choose another terrier, or at least not another Westie, but Alfie is certainly one in a million.

A very, very special little guy who makes up in character what he lacks in size!

My all time favourite picture of him. ''My, what a big dog you are!'' :)

[​IMG]

5. BananaBassett

BananaBassett PetForums Senior

Exactly this!! They have so much character!!
    Sorry if these are massive I'm doing it from my phone, but here's my best friend and the cheekiest monster I know!!
    [​IMG]

edit: oh my goodness sorry it wasnt meant to be the same picture a million times!

Attached Files:

#5 BananaBassett, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  6. waggytailsandwhiskers

waggytailsandwhiskers PetForums Junior

because they are the big dog in the small dogs body,they are cheeky fearless but so loving and loyal, there's nothing quite like a little terror!
    [​IMG]

7. LahLahsDogs

LahLahsDogs PetForums VIP

lol there are so many lovely terriers around, but for me they'll always be a dog that's owned by someone else I think. I love English Bull Terriers and have a soft spot for Yorkshire Terriers, but I just don't think I could cope with the attitudes that most terriers seem to come with. Sounds terrible doesn't it... but.. as lovely as terriers are, they're just not for me. :rolleyes:

8. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

cos they are feisty, loveable, and funny :D I love my two terriers :)

9. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

my terrier is like that, he couldnt give a monkeys about anyone else, only his family. I couldnt imagine anyone who is not used to his little ways coping with him. Hes so intelligent and savvy, he know about 50 words and totally rules the house. Hes so funny and loving I couldnt imagine life without him.

10. danielled

danielled Guest

They have characters, they are cute, my boy has been a terrierist today stealing everything he can find. I find tht they are loyal and never leave your side, mine doesn't anyway. He follows me everywhere.

11. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

One word: YES! :lol:

Terence is my first terrier (and a bullterrier at that) and he is bl**dy hard. He is also full of character, really lovable and fun. But still bl**dy hard. :yikes:

12. Dumples

Dumples PetForums Junior

I can understand that. As wonderful as our old dog was, he could be a right little snot. The world and his mate loved him to fluffy little pieces, he was a real people dog. We "inherited him" when my mum became ill, but we enjoyed every single second we spent with him. Possibly an acquired taste though;)

13. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

That's it an ' acquired taste'

14. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

Funnily enough I think of my Ratters as Terriers, I think they made an error in translation! :)

15. BananaBassett

BananaBassett PetForums Senior

They are definitely hard work. People are often more frightened of larger dogs but I'm more concerned if another terrier comes flying at us - guess I just know how milo can be some times. In the picture I posted, milo is begging and he does this atleast 6 times a day. For food, for play, for toilet breaks, for walks, and he also STARES. They can be sooo demanding and cheeky but I just love them! Think I'm bit of a terrier myself though. Loyal but small and often snappy :p

16. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

Because their amazing. :)

I was a big dog person and wouldn't never image myself having a small dog, well until my mum got two westies. :)

I would have Maisy in a heart beat, we have just started competing in obedience. She is a very clever little dog and she loves working in OB, agility, HTM. I've been thinking about doing working trials with her too. :)

Matty is also lovely, and a right cuddle monster and she loves clicker training.

Maisy & Matty
    [​IMG]
    Maisy & Matty by Foxy Robyn, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Westie V Shepherd by Foxy Robyn, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Logging about by Foxy Robyn, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Matty by Foxy Robyn, on Flickr

17. melbury

melbury PetForums VIP

i have a patterdale terrier crazy crazy but brill loyal great with people works hard all day then comes home and nicks the best chairs lol :p

18. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

They steal your heart, embarrass you, make anything into a bed, chase anything, and on a practical note are fairly easy maintenance. Below Barney (much missed) with his mate Badger, and Jackson
    100_0523.jpg

100_0527.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

19. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I wish I knew!

I have grown up with Terriers, we had a Collie x when I was very little but we only had her for a year before she was hit by a car, so I don't have many memories of her unfortunately. Since then it's been all terriers!

They are certainly funny and cheeky and FULL of love, but once i'm out of the family home and into my own place, i'll be looking at anything but terriers. I love my 3 to bits, but the Terrier attitude and feisty-ness just isn't for me. Which is funny, since I have known nothing other than terriers all my life - so obviously they just naturally aren't my thing. Working breeds and Gundogs are more my style :) bit I will always have a soft spot for Manchester Terriers and good old Staffies :)

20. Muze

Muze PetForums VIP

Because they're smart enough to make you want them :D

Luz likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice