Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tell me about West Highland Terriers?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Helbo, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I was thinking what breed I'd be interested in if I had not chosen Beagle. And I've always had a soft spot for Westies and Cairn Terriers, but to be honest, I know absolutely nothing about them apart from their looks.

Anyone kind enough to fill me in?

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

You have good taste - Westies are great! :D

I guess like all dogs that have pros and things that may be cons to some people.

They shed very little, but do require regular brushing (which I'm really slack at!) and need to go to the groomers every 2-ish months or you can't find the dog under the fur.

They're real little characters - Kenzie is always making people laugh and she's pretty good at making people fall in love with her pretty quickly! :eek:

I think they're fairly healthy little dogs but skin problems are the biggie with Westies - thankfully Kenzie has shown no sign of any so far.

They can be pretty stubborn. Kenzie will sometimes do what i ask, more often if she can see what she is going to get out of it, but sometimes she just throws tantrums and there's no reasoning with her! I've found I need to be firm and consistent or she walks all over me :rolleyes:

I think generally they're great with children. Kids are one of Kenzie's favourite things in the whole world, and she wasn't even raised with them.

Kenzie's very calm in the house, loves just sitting around with her people, but quite energetic outdoors - she's 18 months now but still tries to play with most dogs she meets. She runs in huge zoomie circles and sometimes other dogs join in, but usually dogs stand there looking bemused and owners stand there laughing at her! :eek:

Being terriers they're generally not great with furries, but Kenzie is getting better with my cat. I wouldn't ever want her around little furries though. She was a champion squirrel chaser in the UK - thankfully no squirrels here! :D

I can't think what else, I think that's the main points.

In summary - great little dogs :thumbup1:

I'm not sure what else to say

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

They have an affinity for poo? :p:p:p.

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Ah yes how could I forget that??? :eek:

I'm not sure if it's a Westie trait though, or if I just have a defective dog :eek:

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

They're fun, active, happy little dogs with absolutely buckets of charm and character!

They have a tendency to be a bit stubborn - they like to do things in their own time, and have very strong terrier instincts - my lad is a fantastic ratter and a whizz at catching rabbits. Despite their small size they need a fair amount of exercise - with about 1 hour being the minimum IMO for a fit adult. They are well able to take rough and tumble with bigger dogs, and love a good tear about with canine friends!

Many would think their white coats need a lot of care but this isn't really the case. A quick daily brush through keeps them knot free, and they shed little hair. They do require clipping or handstripping - which can get costly at the groomers if you aren't happy doing it yourself, but it's easy enough to learn a pet-clip. Dirt and mud brushes out when dry, and they don't need regular bathing – I can't remember the last time I washed my lad!

Generally, they're a healthy and hardy little breed - skin problems are the only major Westie complaint, but they can be managed or even avoided all together with careful diet and environmental choices, and choosing a good breeder to start with. Apart from that, they're sturdy little dogs - my lad is 9 and still as fit as a fiddle, but he did have skin problems as a youngster.

The breed is generally good with people and can make fun playmates for respectful children. I say generally because although most Westies adore kids and other people - my lad hates children and doesn't care much for anyone apart from me and my husband, he'll avoid and ignore pretty much anyone else - not giving anyone a second glance whilst on walks. He’s an antisocialble old grump – bit like his mum really! :eek:

They are delightful dogs, and like I said, great fun to be around. My boy is extremely special to me, he's extremely loyal and a great buddy.

However - would I have another? Probably not.

I love my Westie, but don't have a passion for the breed I have to admit, I do prefer bigger dogs.

6. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Thats something I've always wondered about - so thanks!

They sound like little Beagles in terms of their temperament - stubborn, like things their own way and if they do it your way they want something out of it!

I'm surprised that they need an hours walk a day

7. Cazz enigma

Cazz enigma PetForums Member

Lol I can totally relate to post of the above, stubborn, being the biggest problem.
    But you've got to love the westies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice