Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

tell me about bones

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Livesey, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Livesey

Livesey PetForums Member

So we got Skyy a bone today, but i've got a few questions as I've never given a bone before.

What bones should/shouldn't give to him?
    What animal bones are no-nos?
    Once he's had it for a while can I put it in the fridge/freezer?
    If so how long can I keep returning it to him?

He's 5 months old so don't think he'll get through one very quickly. Thanks in advance for the answers!

2. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

For a pup I'd go with something like a rib of lamb. As a general rule give non weight bearing bones, although trotters and the like are easily managed by bigger dogs.Yes you can bung it back in the fridge/freezer.

3. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

Is it cooked or raw, cooked bones should never be fed but raw are fine. The only raw bones that I know of to avoid are large weight bearing ones

4. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

DOH!! and this is the most important point of all ^^^^^^^ I just assumed it was a raw bone!!

5. Livesey

Livesey PetForums Member

So uncooked and non weight bearing. is a cow pelvis okay?

6. Souris

Souris PetForums Senior

Personally, I'd avoid cow bones altogether: but by general rule of thumb raw feeders tend to go by try to stab the bone with a knife, if you can pierce it and do damage- then it's fine, if you can't- avoid it. But, saying that, all cow bones are going to be pretty weighty: and certainly as a young dog (whose jaw is still developing), I'd be tempted to side on the cautious side and leave it.

However, in all honesty, I avoid any bones larger than lambs (and even with lambs it's just ribs) due to them simply being a little too hard for my liking. Has this bone got any meat on it at all? For a bone, it might be easier to start him off on chicken.

#6 Souris, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  7. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

All bones raw are good, including fish. (avoid dorsal spikes - apply common sense)

All cooked bones are bad.

Small dogs small bones - ribs - chickens.

Big dogs will eat pig femurs.

Avoid cow bones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice