Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Teething

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Emraa, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

This probably sounds stupid but do all puppy teeth fall out and get replaced by adult teeth? And how many teeth should an adult dog have?
    Bella is 4 1/2 months and is teething, she is chewing like mad at the moment and seems particularly bothered by her back teeth.

Any tips to make it a little easier for her? :(

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Putting a damp tea towel in the freezer and giving it her to chew on will help.
    Dave started losong his baby teeth at 4 months. However at 7 months none of his back ones have come out yet.
    I also found giving him litle rawhide twists were good. And put some chicken stock in his kong (after plugging the hole!) and freezing it.

x

3. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

they do fall out yes and youll see some very strange licking going on when they do, its around 4 - 5 monhs when mine did, you can give them ice and bits of apple if you like but its really not essential, they have already 'teethed' so this stage does hurt so much i dont think :)

4. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

A good bone:)

5. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Get a small pop bottle, I use the 500ml ones, fill it with water and freeze it. When it is frozen I take the lid off and give it them outside to chew on coz as it defrost the water will go everywhere (yes I did give mine it inside once, and yes it did get everything soaking :eek: , just a good job I have got wooden floors)

My lot love these and in the hot weather I will still do these for them all including my 5 yr old doberman :)

6. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Dogs have 42 teeth. Six pairs of sharp incisor teeth are in front of the mouth, flanked by two pairs of large canine ("dog") teeth. The other teeth are premolars and molars. some start to loose their teeth when they are around 5 months old, some older and some younger, all dogs are different, I used them rawhide bones and chews, but you got to watch out for them when they have been chewed until they are soft but FLOPPY, this is when dogs can choke on them, I fot a few of them so I could replace them when I could see them getting too far gone, my dogs got through loads lololo. I put mine in the fridge over night (coldest part). xxxxxxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice