Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Teething problems?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by springer owner, Jan 1, 2012.

1. springer owner

springer owner PetForums Junior

Hello and Happy New Year to all pet owners out there!

This is a new thread and Im querying some more advice please if anyone can help. I recently posted about adopting a new addition to our family Milo a 10 month old male springer. We currently have Lily who is a bitch and same age. Anyway we decided to get Milo yesterday and what can I say??? Omg we have been so blessed with Lily so far as far as obeidience goes anway. Milo is absolutely gorgeous and he and Lily have took really well, although we had a bad night lastnight with Milo ( which is to be expected until he gets used to us and Lily) He is desperately in need of some discipline, but where on earth do we start?? When we got Lily last year I initially thought we would have to take her to puppy classes etc but things have worked out ok and she is a dream to have and hasnt required anything other than a harsh word from either of us now and again when she is playing up. Milo on the other hand is probabaly going to need a lot of work, back to basics sort off stuff. We had the two of them out earlier on today and Milo is a nightmare on the leash (harness) he even managed to split and run off altogether but we eventually enticed him back. (he doesn't appear to have any recall at all) although his previous owner said that when she took him out yes he pulled quite badly on the lead, he did enjoy free roaming and would come back to her when called. Can anyone suggest any good tips that we might be able to adopt which would benefit him? I did feel sorry for Milo when we had him out because he obviously wasn't enjoying himself constantly pulling and nearly choking, where as Lily can be let off her lead and can happily go into "working mode" with out buggering off? (in this instance we did keep Lily on her lead so she could be with Milo) Also since we introduced him yesterday to Lily the pair of them have been play fighting (Lily being the dominant one) and Im just concerned that it might end up in tears. Is this normal? Or is it just me being over anxious do you think?
    Many thanks in advance xxx

2. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Take him to class. Stick him on a padded halti or better, IMO, a canny collar (why aye, man!). My lot are appalling on the lead unless on a canny collar. Springers are notoriously bad on the lead as they tend to want to be ahead and nose on the floor.

For recall, have you got a safe enclosed area you can use such as an indoor school at a stables? My lot are tennis ball obsessed so the ball launcher is a godsend. They love fetching it. Alternatively, show him a high value treat eg chicken, let him off and see if that works. Make a massive OTT fuss of him when he does recall, loads of praise, fuss etc.

3. springer owner

Hi Cinnnamontoast,

Thanks for your tips yeh thats great. I will get one of the Canny Collars you have suggested for definite! I think it will take some time and perserverance with Milo but he is worth it. We have a big front garden which is enclosed, inwhich we can do some recall work with him to begin with. I will find out about any classes that are running locally for both Milo and Lily. Thanks again :)

4. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

As you said back to basics! Take him out by himself for one on one time training. Play fighting is normal just watch they don't get too boisterous. Any pic's of the pair of them? :D

5. springer owner

IMG00196-20110727-1621.jpg

IMG00335-20111231-1837.jpg

Lily is the black and white posing on the couch
    Milo is the brown and white

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice