Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Teething and loss of appetite?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by RosieM, Jan 26, 2019.

1. RosieM

RosieM PetForums Newbie

Hi all

I have a 5 month old kitten, and over the last couple of days his appetite has really dropped. He is still eating, but probably about 1/2 of what he was previously. He's hardly touching wet food at all now, he'll have one or two bites before walking away, and dry food which he usually demolishes he's eating much more slowly and less quantity. This has been going on for 2, maybe 3 days now.

I have noticed also over the past week that some of his baby teeth have fallen out and I'm wondering if this is related?

Aside from eating, he still seems happy and playful as ever. Toilet trips are normal too.

Do I need to be worried about this? At what point do I take him to the vet? As I said he is eating food but not as much as he should be. Is this normal during teething? At the moment, if this continues tomorrow then ill be taking him to the vet just to make sure.

2. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Some kittens get through teething without too much trouble, they'll just chew and bite much more. Others however have trouble, their gums become inflamed and in really bad cases they ulcerate. Kittens who suffer the latter lose their appetite due to the pain and it really does require veterinary treatment. My advise to you is to get to your vet asap if you haven't already.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice