Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Teeth

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Amelia66, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

Hello!

i just have a quick question really. In just over a week I am picking up my little girlie! She is a Chinese crested and i know that they tend to suffer from teeth problems, now i have seen her parents teeth [not hers she didn't have any when i visited] and they all have perfect teeth. She is a PP so they aren't likely to be as bad as they hairless variety but i still would like some info!

how do you guys clean your dogs teeth? and with what if anything?
    we have brought her lots of toys that say they are good for teeth, but I'm wondering what else i need. as there seems to be a lot of products out there that say they are good for teeth, but i want to make sure its healthy/good for her too.

Also i did read that some cresties shouldn't chew hard things like bones, is that true? is this just for the ones with really bad teeth?

2. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

Anyone????

3. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

Prey model raw feeding is the easiest way to keep your dogs teeth clean as it is done whilst feeding them anyway.

I feed part raw and part kibble, the raw boney breakfasts help with teeth cleaning (my whippet gets things like chicken drumsticks or thighs or whole legs, chicken wings, duck wings, lamb ribs and when she is really lucky, whole guinea fowl!)

You don't have to feed completely raw to get the teeth cleaning properties, you can do it 3 or 4 times per week and just give a chicken leg in the garden. That should keep their teeth shiny for years to come.

4. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

Thanks! i didn't know you could feed part raw. i had looked into raw but as she is so young i want her to grow a little before we even think about switching her to a raw diet, but when she does we will deffo give her some raw bits if it helps with the teeth!

5. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

Pixie started getting raw at 12 weeks, I know your crested will be a little smaller but puppies love chewing bones and it actually helps them through teething so it may be something you want to look at sooner rather than later. Give her a try with some chicken wings, I bet she will love them.

If you are going to do part raw, I would recommend not mixing it with the kibble, feed it at separate meals as far apart as you can.

Have loads of fun with your pup. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice