Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

teeth cleaning/animal dentistry v animal physio advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by amanda w, May 23, 2019.

1. amanda w

amanda w PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I've run a pet care business for several years now and absolutely love it!! It's been my ambition for a long time to train in either canine massage therapy/vet physio or gaining a qualification in animal teeth cleaning/dentistry and offering the service at homes, kennels, etc My question is does anyone know much about teeth cleaning/vet dentistry and do you think its a service that people would use/ find helpful? As a pet carer most of the dogs I look after have awful teeth! Which path would you choose!? Any feedback would be so helpful :) Thank you everyone!

2. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

To be honest I feed raw bones and if my dog needed any sort of dentistry I would only want a qualified vet to do it:)

3. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Personally I'd only book my dog in for cleaning at the vet, as they're able to clean a maximum amount of the tooth.

I'm a bit skeptical about the home tooth cleaning stuff. As a rule, only the parts of the tooth above the gumline can be cleaned when the dog is awake. So you can end up with a dog with teeth that look good, but there's actually a whole tonne of stuff going on.

eta - as someone who does dogsports, I'd be interested in dog physio and related services. I really like that that whole industry is growing and improving, but it can still be a bit tricky to find suitably qualified people. So probably a fairly positive time to get into it.

lorilu, lullabydream and amanda w like this.
  4. amanda w

thank you

5. wee man

wee man PetForums Senior

A natural raw diet with a supply of raw bones keeps our lot clean and sparkling.
    If any of them needed any dentistry I would use my vet only.

lorilu likes this.
  6. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

A groomer I know started to offer teeth clean, with a sonic head toothbrush, I think. As she cannot offer sedation of any kind, I wonder how she manages to clean all the surfaces of all the teeth.

For me first option is raw diet including bones - small enough to eat and too big to eat, then brushing and if the teeth still need cleaning, I'd let the vet do it.

7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Someone advertises a pet tooth cleaning service local to us but I think she is also a groomer. How many owners use her service I have no idea. I personally would have thought canine sports physio or canine massage would be the better option based on the fact that my McTimoney chiro and canine physio therapist are so busy it's often difficult to get an appointment with either of them.

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Definitely massage would be more valuable. As others have said, I would only use a vet to clean my dog’s teeth.

What about training to be a hydrotherapist?

9. amanda w

Hi,
    thank you :) I did look into it but the cost of equipment is just too much. I would love to do the physio/massage training so thank you :)

Torin. likes this.
  10. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I think your target market would be prevention (as much as cleaning) and in which case I think it is an service that people would find useful. Many dogs do have poor teeth and yes, in many cases it is diet (inc the proliferation of using shop- bought treats) and so if you were looking at 'a service' this would probably have to include not only the chance to show people how to clean their dogs teeth what can be done to improve dental hygene in general.

Im a often surprised how little people know about what they can do to improve their dogs teeth so I would think that there is room for this to become a professional service. How far you can go in regard to actually cleaning teeth however is debatable as for many dogs the vet is the only port of call as only they can use a GA.

Of course if you could add nail clipping to your service list, I suspect you would be extremely busy!

Massage is another option though. Very helpful for anxious dogs.

J

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice