Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Teenage Kicks!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Wyndham, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Wyndham

Wyndham PetForums Member

So i thought having a puppy was stressful - the first few weeks, sleepless nights, chewing non stop, constant watching, training and re-training, wet puddles and accidents on the carpet......but then it started getting better, no accidents, well trained pupster blooming in training class and being lovely and well behaved at home - great!

Then, last week he started cocking his leg when peeing, started to pee in the house again, even when invited outside and with the door open, being disobediant - i.e finding things to steal, taking them outside and running round the garden distroying them ( bank card, insurance docs etc) - admittidly i should have stored them in a better place, stupidly i thought on top of the side board would be fine but hey learning curve for me too!
    Today he has been generally difficult, not doing as he is told, with me having to repeat and re-train with almost everything i have asked him to do ( sit , wait etc) he has then pee'd in the house and jumped onto the window sill( didnt know he could get up that far) and knocked my drink onto my laptop while i was on the phone!!!!

Am i imaging all this or is he becoming a teenager? must be, otherwise someone has switched my dog !!!

sorry for the rant but am so annoyed and frustrated - i want to have the patience to go back over all of these things and i was expecting him to be a bit difficult when he hit his teenager phase but my god its stressful!

any supporting or useful hint and tips would be greatfully recieved!

He is due to get his bits fixed at about 8months and will be starting his 2nd phase of training in the next few weeks so fingers crossed the combination will help him through this difficult phase.:confused1:

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Sounds like a typical teenager :lol: Never listening etc.

Don't give up - it will be 2 steps forward 1 step back (and occasionally 2 steps back 1 step forward ;) )
    Back to basics - consistancy and patience are the key.
    Zipper was a 'perfect' puppy but hit 7/8 months and was a nightmare :scared:
    We got there in the end :)
    He was soon back to 90% recall (picnics and cats are his downfall) being loving and obedient and never having accidents in the house.

3. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

We've noticed Bella being a little 'deaf' on commands the last couple of days lol!

She has also taken 2 bank cards of mine I left on window sill after buying something on line grr!! Bank lady saw the funny side when I took it in to get another lol!

She also had a wee in mums house last night after being dry indoors since 4 months old. I think this was more my fault as she had asked to go out the room but I said no as mums cat was in the kitchen.

She is also taking any kind of pizza leaflet or scrap of paper she can find outside and shredding it and then chasing the bits round the garden :lol:

So I think Im also in for some fun times here too lol. >__< how long does teen phase last :eek6: :D

4. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Snap 9 months old next week and kevin the teenager all over.Not had the toilet probs but everything else and then some!Kids have just shouted me in to the garden as Alfie was humping the pillow that my 18 year old son had his head on:thumbup:

5. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

ooo yes the humping!! Bella will not leave neutered boys alone and my leg seems to be a fave of hers at the moment!! :confused:

6. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

I'm there too with my 8MO. He's not having accidents in the house but he does have selective hearing and seems to have surges of energy. 'Fortunately' he only seems to want to hump other dogs.

I find it goes in waves, some days he's fine others he's devil dog :scared: Our trainer said that their hormone levels go through peaks and troughs, so some days will be worse than others. I think she said their hormones can be 10 times the level of an adult dog.

Hang in there I'm sure we'll all come through it...but maybe not sane :lol:

7. Wyndham

Wyndham PetForums Member

its so nice that others are going through this and im not going insane! lol

I can't belive how similar they are, stealing the same sorts of things and destroying them in the same way lol its well funny!

We have a Colin Clear up yesterday, so everything and i mean everything at colin heigh has now been removed and put into storage, my house looks like a show home! lol fingers crossed!

8. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

oh joy i have all this too look forward too then, Ben not hit this stage yet, but at puppy training i keep getting warned about them hitting teenage stage, although after what my 13 year old daughter has put me through this last week, whatever Ben does i am sure i can handle LOL,

9. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

This is like the crisis thread for parents of teenage dogs, haha! I also have one, 10months and has good days and bad days for training. Have to say thats about the worst of it though, not had the toilet problems and only humps his teddy pluto. Shouldnt admit it gave me a laugh reading through these posts :eek:

10. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

More bad behaviour today,Alfie has ripped sons t-shirt down off washing line and chewed it to bits:confused:Thank God it wasn't one of other sons football t-shirt would have been mega expensive to replace:(

11. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

One way to keep the house tidy :D

12. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

oh no :( Im lucky (aside from the bank cards) bella only eats junk mail if I leave it on the stairs-she will grab it on the way downstairs and tear round the garden ripping it to shreds :lol: but the last 2 days on walks shes been totally ignoring us and following scents and in her own little world suddenly seeing us as if to say oh where did you come from!!

I had to laugh and im trying to find the pic but I was potting some plants the other week and bella snuck up and nicked my trowel and had this look of can I help mum but ran off with it and hid it in shed grr lol!! it was even funnier when she nicked the plant pots and ran round with it stuffed on her nose :D

Shes very quiet today and sleeping a lot so me thinks growth spurt is occuring <3

13. Wyndham

Wyndham PetForums Member

hey all, Colin update, seems to have calmed today, had a lovely walk and had some training with daddy which tired him out, nothing stolen or destroyed - or should i say i havent found anything yet! lol

He does however, keep staring at the door way or into corners of the room - he is freeking me out, i keep thinking he i seeing ghosts!

did make me laugh today when he tried to jump onto the windowsill - its about 4 inches wide and just hit the window! lol it was a fair jump thou!

14. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Glad we have our little teenage beagle support group going on here:thumbup:Think Alfie may be playing up as he hasn't been able to go off lead since Monday due to his neutering op,so he's not wearing himself out as much,But have been doing lots of positive training with him,hard when I keep looking at Adams shredded t shirt:mad:Can't stay mad for long though,looking into those adorable eyes:001_tt1:
    Wyndham- we have had to higher the fencing and gate on our decking to 1.4m now as Alfie was clean jumping over it,didn't realise we would have an acro- dog on our hands.Good luck,and always here if you fancy a moan

15. Wyndham

Wyndham PetForums Member

Glad we have our little teenage beagle support group going on hereThink Alfie may be playing up as he hasn't been able to go off lead since Monday due to his neutering op,so he's not wearing himself out as much,But have been doing lots of positive training with him,hard when I keep looking at Adams shredded t shirtCan't stay mad for long though,looking into those adorable eyes
    Wyndham- we have had to higher the fencing and gate on our decking to 1.4m now as Alfie was clean jumping over it,didn't realise we would have an acro- dog on our hands.Good luck,and always here if you fancy a moan

Me too, need this outlet when he is being a teenager, its like starting again at times!
    We are working on getting our fencing done, its only thigh high at the moment in one place so i know it wont be long before he is over it, luckily he hasnt tried yet but i keep nagging my OH to get it sorted ASAP as we live on a main road!
    Been for a nice walk this morning, and he was a little angel, got some lovely photos of him in the morning sunlight - he is so cute! lol
    Following on from yesterdays - "nothing stolen or destoryed" lol found my missing sock collection in the garden that Colin has been pilfering! Think i need to find him an alternative hobby to sock collection! lol - Stamps? maybe:lol:

Good day to all - its lovely outside and putting me a right good mood! love the summer! Even painted my toe nails! :eek:

16. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

found my pics of her helping me garden! and a cheeky pic taken in the buttercups the other evening <3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again today she is quite quiet and very cuddly-she had a fright in garden yesterday which seems to of still left her a little shaken today. The neighbours were having a rowdy game of football and just as I let her out for a wee coming home from work and the ball hit the fence and came over the fence hitting the rabbit hutch she was next to and scaring here. She then howled and howled and hackles came up and she flew in doors and sat next to me on the sofa for the next 2 hours shaking and growling at every noise poor sausage :(

17. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Sarah -Just looked and saw Bellas Blog,she is adorable.Whereabouts in Wales did you get Bella from?Sorry to hear Bella got a fright yesterday,Alfie had one with a bike-a kid decided to go right in front of us and skidded side ways just missing Alfies tail-he was sitting at the time,as he always does when he sees a bike,He may have ruined months of training as he was quite skittish today when we saw a bike,and was very reluctant to sit:(
    We have just had a walk up to our village today with Alfie on his lead as still has stitches,we got stopped by a lovely man who asked if he could take Alfies photo as he desperately wants a Beagle,and he could show his other half Alfies photo to convice her to get one.When I told him the downsides of Beagles,it works out that he was a dog trainer for the army,so wasn't bothered anyway:) I always make sure when chatting to people that I tell them of certain issues Beagle owners have,because people are looking at cute puppies and most of the time do not consider the teenager,exercise,recall etc -hence why Beagle welfare keeps so busy.

We have had a good day(fingers crossed) no mishaps and he's fast asleep sunbathing in his fav spot.Nanny and Grandad just been to visit and he was very well behaved,no jumping etc so thats all good.

18. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

aww thank you she is an angel :D all be it a devil in disguise sometimes!! We got her just outside of Swansea.

I often have people ask where can they get a beagle and even after telling them the negatives they still seem set on them so I always advise beagle welfare. I even got asked by a couple with a JRT male if I would consider him as a dad for bellas pups as they fell in love with her and wanted a beaglexJRT! They got a swift no and we rushed off.

Today we are being a little bugger! Shes digging the carpet by the patio which she hasnt done since 3 months old and trying to jump up on the table! She also has forgotten lie down and roll over-which she only learnt last month so trying to go back to square one and re learn it all but nope not having any of it :crazy:

Cant wait for it to cool down so I can take her out to burn off some of this excess energy!

19. Wyndham

Wyndham PetForums Member

oh my god! Dont ya just love teenagers! God was i this annoying when i was 15?
    He has really ramped up the tricks the last few days! Socks, post and photos of my neices have all had a trip around the garden, and only coaxed out with a treat!
    Ive found bras, knickers, boxers and socks ( weird obsession with underwear) all chewed under the bed! ( my fav bra too!!!)
    And he is starting to really bark back when told not to do something ( i dont shout he gets a ah ah in a low tone which normally works). Last night i was eating my tea , he has been taught not to be near us when we eat which normally he is great at, he will just busy himself with his toys or snooze on the lfoor but last night i had litera;y just put my bowl on the side to stand up and take in into the kitchen when he leaped onto it to grab the lamb bone that was left, i had to prise it outa his mouth! and he got couscous and tagine sauce all over my laptop and sofa! aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh:eek:

Its all worth while, when he falls asleep on my lap and snores like a little bear or when i walk into the kitchen and catch him just waking up and yawing or when he looks at me with his little face or when we go for our early morning walks and its just me n him!

Its all worth while, just frustrating at times!:thumbup:

Right , rant ova, gunna give my lil boy a cuddle and go make some tea - which i wont be eating until he goes to bed! lol:lol:

20. MontyA

MontyA PetForums Member

So, so reassuring to read these posts! Monty has started jumping up onto the sofa - never been allowed up there, and to date he's been great, never tried. Started jumping up onto work surfaces to pinch whatever he can find. Started to grab socks, underwear, slippers, anything that you take your eye off for a second. Hides with them behind the sofa, and it's so hard to get him. He's a big 6 month old GR, boisterous and adorable, but hard to physically move! He 'answers back' when you tell him off, barking back at you, knocks his water bowl over time and time again, and then looks at you as if to say - what have I done?? :eek:

I have two teenage kids, 17 and 15, and I have to say that so far neither of them have given me this much trouble!!:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice