Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Teenage dog walking?

Discussion in 'Animal Jobs & Working with Animals' started by Freya_jae02, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Freya_jae02

Freya_jae02 PetForums Newbie

Hi, im freya. 15 years old and have got a place in Wakefield college to do a level 3 diploma in a domestic animal management course. I have finished high school and am looking for local jobs, such as dog walking to help me with the corse.
    I do own my own dogs - a large, friendly Staffordshire bull terrier and a less kind jack russell--which I walk as a favour to my family.
    If anyone knows where I can find employment in this area of work please can you let me know (I also have a national insurance number if that is needed) thanks to any help.

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi. This question comes up quite frequently. As you are under 18 you would not be able to get insurance. If you are charging money to walk people's dogs if anything happened to the dog you were walking, to another dog that approached and interacted with the dog you were walking or to the general public then you could be liable for the costs (ex vets bills, medical bills, etc). If you look after people's keys or have access to their house when they are not there you could also be liable for any issues regarding their house security.

As a minor (under 18) it would not be you that would have to pay out or face legal action it would be your parents. It is possible to get insurances to offset these risks but unfortunately as a minor you would not be eligible.

I recommend you stick with family and friend dog walking - hopefully they may be happy to pay you for it but doing dog walking as a business will be an issue whilst you are under 18.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

3. Freya_jae02

Freya_jae02 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply, I'm applying to a farm job tomorrow. Let's hope all goes well

Ps- a friend of the same age also works there so no problem with age

kittih likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice