Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Teenage dog on walks ?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by JodieWeeks, Mar 15, 2019.

1. JodieWeeks

JodieWeeks PetForums Junior

Hi All,

My 11 month cockapoo has always been very friendly ... but only tended to say hello to dogs when relatively close.

The last few weeks he has decided to run quite far off to see a dog in our local park. After saying hello he comes running back and that’s it.

I have now started to put him back on the lead when coming back, and actually used the long line today for 20 minutes and he was absolutely perfect !!!

His recall used to be very good and he would always come back .. unless he saw another cockapoo then they would play for hours

Is he being a teenager or is this due to his recall ??

He almost looks at me to say he has heard me but he is going to run there instead

He is chewing a lot at home so I know he is going through his teenage stage, but would just like some help on what to do!

I am going to take him to another park tomorrow to see how confident he is there, and maybe also use the long line

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Probably both.
    Don't let him continue running off to other dogs. Use a lead or long line, and be more engaged with him on your walks. You could play ball, or use scent games. He should find you more exciting and rewarding to be with than another dog. Get him to use his brain more both at home and out on walks, and he should behave better and with some luck, chew less too.

Bugsys grandma, Lurcherlad and Sairy like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

As above.

Use the harness and long line until you’re sure he’s passed this phase and reinforced good, reliable recall otherwise he’ll just practise the unwanted behaviour.

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice