Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Teenage cat advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Claire foster, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Claire foster

Claire foster PetForums Newbie

Hi

we have a new member of our family who is a 15 month of cat called Bertie who we adore . He was timid to start but would sit with us and cuddle . This last week he has gained in confidence and loves to play with us but just snubbs sitting next to us . If I go to him I can smooth him and give him lots of love and he purrs away but just won’t come for cuddles :( . He also spends nearly all his time asleep upstairs on his bed . Is this just him being a teenager ? Just love him soooo much and hope it’s a phase and he will come back and sit next to us for cuddles soon x any advice much appreciated x

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Cats are very much their own masters and many love cuddles only on their own terms.
    And yes, the amount of affection they ask for changes.
    My Annie became a cuddle bug at about 18 months- but it’s she who decides when and where.
    Mojo is a very cuddly boy, but if he isn’t in the mood he‘ll simply walk away.

With cats it’s usually best to let them choose and come on their own accord. So if your boy doesn’t come, just talk to him and let him be. You haven’t said how long he‘s been with you- maybe he simply needs more time to be fully confident.

Edit to say: At 15 months your boy is not really a teenager but a young adult. At that age he should be playful and not sleep most of the time. As playtime is bonding time you might try to engage him to play with a wand toy, for example.
    If he is very lethargic a vet visit would be a good idea.

#2 ChaosCat, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Is he neutered?

4. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Absolutely echo that I think it's completely normal - not all cats are cuddly, they are such individual little beings just like us! I have one that is literally like velcro and is with me all the time when I'm home, seeking us out for strokes and reassurance whereas the other is a lot less cuddly; he likes a stroke but when he wants a cuddle he comes for one.

Even velcro cat has gone through phases where he prefers to say sleep elsewhere for a bit.

Maybe look at the positives, that he's already gone from timid to more confident and secure in a short space of time with you - you never know, with a bit more time he may decide to show a bit/a lot more affection.

Do you have any photos of Bertie to share with us :) x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice