UK Pet Forums Forum banner
161 - 180 of 816 Posts
Discussion starter · #161 ·
@Clairabella you have had so much going on, don't even think about it!

Teddy came in from the garden about 11.30, cheerful and more hungry that he has been all day. I had got some applawA chicken and pumpkin which he loved. However within 45 mins there was more watery diarrhea all up the kitchen and a messy bottom to deal with. I then had to leave him crying in the kitchen which destroyed me but it's the only option.

Going to bed now, night night xx

I’m so gutted for you :,-(

He is safe and warm and clean in the kitchen love. I can just imagine it is tearing you apart to leave him in there but it’s the only way you can try and control things until you know what is causing the dire rear. Cleaning diarrhoea from around the house on all your furniture, carpets, curtains etc and having to clean constantly is tiring and twice as hard when you’re not well urself. You’ll also be no good to Teddy, Rafa or Freya, if u burn yourself out x a clean of the tiles is much easier all round and means a quicker clean up, then you can concentrate on Teddy and the others instead of being caught up in time consuming things like scrubbing carpets, taking curtains down etc.

Its easy for me to say that when I’m a fine one talking after leaving Thomas out of isolation within an hour coz he cried and cried. This is just horrible for you and beautiful boy. I could literally cry for you reading all you have been going through xx Where do you live? Can I help at all? I can go with you to the vet or I can clean for you? Xx

In the meantime love, i hope you manage to get some sleep. I think Antibiotics for urself is worth a shot too xx

Goodnight Em. Good luck for your appointment in the morning xx

Morning Em, I hope you managed to get some sleep.
How’s Teddy this morning?
I really do feel for you, it’s not nice when they are ill & the stress & upset it’s causing you.
I do hope the vets are helpful this morning, more tests needed I think to get to the cause.
Everything crossed (& paws) that you get answers & some AB.
Thinking of you & Teddy
Healing vibes sent to Teddy & a hug for you xx

Really hope everything goes well at the vets today Em & it’s not too traumatic for Teddy, sending heaps of positive vibes xx

I hope all goes well and you can get to the bottom of what's going on very VERY soon Emma. I hope that Teddy and you both got some rest and that there have been no more overnight explosions.

Discussion starter · #166 ·
Thanks so much guys, just getting up and feel battered but bartering with self that can go back to bed later if Teddy appears calm and content in his garden like yesterday. He hates vet visits so much and gets so distressed that I am dreading it doubly. I am going to give him his Zantac before we go, which has to be on an empty tummy anyway, then breakfast when we get home.

@Clairabella that is so kind, but even if we lived closer (I'm up in Cheshire) you have so much on your own plate that I couldn't possibly accept. I know everything you say is absolutely correct and logical. It's this blooming sentimental side of me that loves my boy so much and cannot bear him to suffer. I can't bear him thinking I am punishing him. He can hear me in the bathroom and is bellowing to be let out.

Discussion starter · #169 ·
Ok we are back. Saw my usual vet who is vg. He had a good feel of Teddy's tummy and he showed no pain. He said he couldn't feel any blockages but the gut felt a bit thickened. He did ask if Teddy could have swallowed something odd but the fact that he is hungry, not vomiting, and shows no discomfort makes it unlikely.

He said to discontinue the Lactulose for now as if it is inducing the sort of diarrhea we had yesterday, it has done it's job and could be making it worse.

He said not to panic first and foremost. He has taken a full blood panel and wants to see results of that before doing X rays and ultrasound. He has also put Teddy on a course of Prednisolone steroid for a week, one per day. He said to continue the Zantac for now and keep him on grain free food, not changing his diet too much.

I suggested stool samples and he said to give him milbemax so we know he is wormed, but wait till the bloods before doing anything else.

Teddy was so brave and good. No real howling or panting in the car, and was much more relaxed in the vet room.

I do feel a bit more reassured that he is not about to collapse, but I will feel better once we get the bloods on Thur and can take the next steps.

Ok we are back. Saw my usual vet who is vg. He had a good feel of Teddy's tummy and he showed no pain. He said he couldn't feel any blockages but the gut felt a bit thickened. He did ask if Teddy could have swallowed something odd but the fact that he is hungry, not vomiting, and shows no discomfort makes it unlikely.

He said to discontinue the Lactulose for now as if it is inducing the sort of diarrhea we had yesterday, it has done it's job and could be making it worse.

He said not to panic first and foremost. He has taken a full blood panel and wants to see results of that before doing X rays and ultrasound. He has also put Teddy on a course of Prednisolone steroid for a week, one per day. He said to continue the Zantac for now and keep him on grain free food, not changing his diet too much.

I suggested stool samples and he said to give him milbemax so we know he is wormed, but wait till the bloods before doing anything else.

Teddy was so brave and good. No real howling or panting in the car, and was much more relaxed in the vet room.

I do feel a bit more reassured that he is not about to collapse, but I will feel better once we get the bloods on Thur and can take the next steps.
The vet visit sounded very productive and very reassuring love. I'm so glad you have had some bloods done on Teddy. All sounds to be moving in the right direction now.

My heart is literally breaking for you. I can't bear to think of you both going thru this. You're situation is similar to mine in that you are on ur own, everything falls on ur shoulders. The cleaning, the worry, the day to day thing aswell as being a multi cat household is very tiring. It's literally soul destroying when you have to be cruel to be kind and introduce certain measures to try and bring things under control. Keep telling yourself that when things are better then you can both go back to how it was before and how you likes it. I would help u in a second. Mine are doing a million times better now so I could help. Just say the word and I will come to you by all means xxx

Hope Teddy is ok since coming home ❤ As very hard as what it is, you are doing a brilliant job with him and everything you can to get him better again. They are very lucky to have a mummy like you xxx

So pleased to hear the vet visit & travelling didn’t upset Teddy too much today, it’s horrid when they get so upset (Ebony cry’s from the time she goes into her carrier to the time we are back home, she then sulks on the bed for a couple of hours.
Alfie doesn’t mind it too much but he’s not very good in the car).
Well done Teddy for being so brave.
Glad full bloods were taken, then you can go on from there.
I hope the steroid helps him.
It’s so hard to cope when they are ill, but you are doing everything possible to make Teddy better
Healing vibes being sent to Teddy xx

Discussion starter · #173 ·
He was such a good boy. I don't know if it made a difference that it was so cold this morning - he was shaking a bit but not panting. He has always liked that vet and offers to rub noses with him when he has his mats done - I think some people just have a way with cats.

Teddy being so brave plus my friend being there helped me be alot less emotional and more factual too. Just going home now having been for coffee and the gungiest chocolate cake at Costa with my friend and her daughter ("our" Costa @KCTT where I ran out of petrol!:rolleyes:) Hoping Teddy hasn't had another episode in my absence, but he was shut in the kitchen anyway so there is limited mess he could make. Well a bit.

That’s great to hear he wasn’t as stressed as last time, good boy Teddy! Fingers crossed the pred calms things down for now x

I’m glad you have been given milbemax as worming is a must. But surprised they haven’t suggested panacur too but that is a pain to give so I guess they are waiting to see how he goes.

The gut thickening could indicate worms - has he had fleas at alll this summer?

Really wish they had done stool samples but bloods are good.

Glad he’s stopped the lactulose as that def wouldn’t have helped with the dire rear.

Fingers crossed he settles now xxx

Really wish they had done stool samples but bloods are good.
@Emmasian can always collect a faecal sample over the weekend for submission next week. The vet wouldn't have been able to submit one until then anyway, plus you need a pooled sample of three days' poo for accurate results.

I'd just do it Emma, no harm in it and you can tick off another test while awaiting blood results. Shove a bit of poo into a container today, tomorrow and Monday (it can all go in the same pot) and take it into the vet's next week. Make sure there is no litter contamination, which can affect results.

If his symptoms clear up and you no longer want to submit it, you can just chuck it.

@Emmasian can always collect a faecal sample over the weekend for submission next week. The vet wouldn't have been able to submit one until then anyway, plus you need a pooled sample of three days' poo for accurate results.

I'd just do it Emma, no harm in it and you can tick off another test while awaiting blood results. Shove a bit of poo into a container today, tomorrow and Monday (it can all go in the same pot) and take it into the vet's next week. Make sure there is no litter contamination, which can affect results.

If his symptoms clear up and you no longer want to submit it, you can just chuck it.
Good idea CK xx

Discussion starter · #180 ·
Just saw Teddy lying in his garden, then leap up and run like hell - it must be a bowel spasm. He produced one soft stool of a yellowish colour (not had that before). I found a sample pot from previous incidents whether human or animal I don't know, and tried to get a bit of it in with the scoop thing. Couldn't break it apart easily considering it was on the softer side, almost as though it was held together with hair??? Don't want red herrings though. Got a huge sample anyway.

Teddy was a right mess and the sanitary clip they gave him was rubbish - I should have checked more thoroughly at the vet. They only shaved right by his "orifice" :)rolleyes::rolleyes:) and the base of the tail. Of course they are shut now. Teddy fought me washing and wiping his bottom, growling and flailing like an alligator role. It's so unlike my cuddly boy. He must be utterly fed up.

Put him back in the garden with kitchen access. Told myself oh he must be so forlorn, but when I looked back he was stalking a bird with great interest so may be he is OK.

161 - 180 of 816 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.