UK Pet Forums Forum banner
141 - 160 of 816 Posts
I don’t know if I’d read too much into the post poo zoom unless he does seem truly distressed - all of the HBs are fairly chilled about their toilet habits except Grace.

She goes for a no 2 and then goes BERSERK!!! She literally wheel spins - bounces off the sofas and leaps across the kitchen work tops as if someone has a red got poker behind her!!!

I really really hope you find out what’s causing the problem so he can be sorted swiftly xx

Discussion starter · #143 ·
About an hour ago Teddy bolted up the stairs into my bedroom like something was chasing him and he was afraid, and jumped on me, splattering diarrhea all down my legs. He then launched off me and raced off again, scratching me badly and scattering diarrhea as he went. It's not a post poop zoom, it's a cat bolting in fear I think.

I am so sorry for him but I am at the end of my nerves, especially with him evacuating all over me. Where he has scratched me is a leg that I had bad cellulitis in last year so it could actually be dangerous if it has got cat poop in it.

I have washed Teddy, disinfected myself, crawled around the carpets and walls cleaning up diarrhea, and have yet more diarrhea sodden washing to do.

I feel absolutely at the end of my rope. He won't even contemplate aaliiter tray for poo at the moment so I am going to offer several more, but I thought no in his fear he might just bolt past them. I will try anyway. Whenever my cats have had diarrhea before they have at least used the tray even if they need bumwash, but this is new. Do not know what to do as it seems mean to confine him to the kitchen but do I have a choice? I can't keep having diarrhea over everything and at least the kitchen is tiled. I guess at least he is now going every day which must be down to the Lactulose.

I am so tired all I want to do is sleep, but I have got so much to do. How will I ever cope when I'm back at work full time in two weeks. Sorry to go on but I am just lost.

Gosh Em.

Something is not right.

It sounds like he’s not responding to the treatment at all so far.

I would be back to the vets for stool tests (but in the meantime prob would be panacuring him if not done already and also asking for ABs - marbofluaxin which covers E. coli, staphylococcus, campylobacter etc etc). Neither would do any harm even if it’s not what he’s got but since you aren’t having any success with the treatment so far surely it’s worth a shot?

Yes, I'm with you @SbanR - I think a course of flucloxacillin wouldn't be a bad idea given your history with cellulitis and now scratches and squitty poop in there too (assuming no penicillin allergy, obv!). Have you got a walk-in centre near you, if you can't see your GP? They are generally good for things like that - as you see the nurse prescriber and they are often very sensible and cautious as they don't want you clogging up A&E on the weekend! Please don't leave your leg untreated, I know it's not a bite but with your history, they'd be mad not to give you some ABs.

I can't offer help in terms of Teddy (and I'm sorry if I sounded flippant last night, it wasn't meant that way) - I wish I could hop in the teleporter and help out with the clean up. I suspect an abdominal USS and stool samples would be worthwhile though, as it's been a while now that the poor buy has been having poop trouble.

I am reading lots of poorly cat threads at the moment :( and am just thankful that they all have owners who care this much about them that they will do everything they possibly can to improve the situation for their beloved animals. Chin up, cup of tea and a choccy biccy and onwards.

Have you got anything like a wipe down picnic blankets you could put about the place? When Matilda stopped pooing in the tray I had them spread about along with towels I could just rinse & bung in the washing machine & I had washable covers on all the beds. I know it would be unsightly & tedious but it would serve a purpose & if won’t be forever & makes cleaning up a little bit easier.

Sending you a big hug xx

I haven't got any of that but have heard such good things that maybe I should. I am certainly going to try and get some calming aids for next time Teddy goes to the vet as he suffers so. Wonder if PAH sell it.

If he doesn't come down soon and eat, it will interfere with his lactulose doses.
If you do buy some Beaphor spot on, shop around as the prices vary wildly for some reason. Cheapest I found last time I looked was one of the 3rd party sellers on Amazon. It was something like a couple of quid rather than £5.99 which I think is the RRP.

A friend of mine suggested this! Might help? As well as this link there is also Langford’s but she’s unsure of their prices.

Pinmoore Animal Labs is good and relatively inexpensive for faecal testing, full parasites and bacterial infections testing is only £36 and they'll send out all the stuff you need.
They also offer a separate test for Tritrichomonas PCR, £44 apparently a common cause of diarrhoea in multi cat house holds
"TF-associated diarrhoea is most often seen in cats under 1 year of age, but it has also been reported in older cats. The parasite targets the large bowel causing colitis, with frequent passage of small quantities of liquid to semi-formed faeces often with blood, mucus and straining. Some affected cats develop faecal incontinence. If they didn't give any results then at least you have something to take to the vet and potentially rule out those things?

Poor you Emma, I think being stuck in the house off work with a bad knee must make things feel so much worse. If it was me I would get back in touch with the vets I know they said 10 days but I would want reassurance that we didn't need a review in the mean time. I am pushed for time at the minute as on holiday end of next week and work mad until then but I do have a week off work and at home if you fancy a coffee when I am back.

Discussion starter · #151 ·
Thanks for all the support and suggestions guys.

Got my two best mates over here tonight and cried all over them so feel a bit better.

Teddy is confined to the kitchen currently, but with the back door open so he can go in the garden. Freya is keeping him company as I speak. I went to PAH and got some different litters and foods and more cleaning stuff.

When I got home I went to sit with him and he walked over to the existing tray a couple of times, then walked away virtually shaking his head. Then he began to race around the room, belly low, in classic "afraid cat in pain" mode. Unable to escape the kitchen he ran into the garden. I didn't see any more poop, but he was certainly washing his bottom. I rang and rang and rang the vet I saw on Tue only no one picked up. How charming. I was so worried that I rang my usual vet and got a nice receptionist this time, and he is booked in for tomorrow at 9.30am. My friend is coming with me because as soon as I start talking about Teddy I turn from the scourge of Scouse ASBOs to a puddle of tears. I am going to write a list though - stool test, bloods, ultrasound, sanitary clip round his bottom etc.

I have offered food but he seems uninterested, though my friends say he looks calm and content. They are his godmothers so have more than a passing interest. I have set the kitchen up with two new litter trays containing different litters.

Will let you know what happens xx

Discussion starter · #152 · (Edited)
Poor you Emma, I think being stuck in the house off work with a bad knee must make things feel so much worse. If it was me I would get back in touch with the vets I know they said 10 days but I would want reassurance that we didn't need a review in the mean time. I am pushed for time at the minute as on holiday end of next week and work mad until then but I do have a week off work and at home if you fancy a coffee when I am back.[/QUOTE

Thanks Kim that sounds great. Let me know when you are back xxx
Thanks that sounds lovely - let me know when you are back xx

Thanks for all the support and suggestions guys.

He is booked in for tomorrow at 9.30am. My friend is coming with me because as soon as I start talking about Teddy I turn from the scourge of Scouse ASBOs to a puddle of tears. I am going to write a list though - stool test, bloods, ultrasound, sanitary clip round his bottom etc.

Will let you know what happens xx
That's exactly everything I'd do hun.
Add ABs to the list as well if they will give you them as it might be good to get him on some while you are waiting for results.
The sooner you can get to the cause the better.
Glad you have app tomorrow.
Now try to relax and have a glass of wine - big hugs xx

Discussion starter · #157 ·
I had to smile as I just went into the kitchen and found one of the new litters with pawprints in it and a big pee on the floor next to it. Freya was sat on the chair with the most hang dog expression imaginable as this is her party trick. I was like do you really think Mummy cares about pee?! I would rejoice at Teddy standing in any sort of litter and dumping 50kg of poop from hell outside it, just so long as he is in the damn litter!

Oh gosh, sorry still not improving at least he is still passing stool I know it's no consolation but it excludes some things.

Hydration is key as well vets usually stock oralade or similar electrolytes you can add to feed or alone Fuzz liked the oralade as was chicken flavoured. I was giving this a table spoon every 30-45mins at one point.

Good luck at the vets.

Definatley also contact your gp. Cat scratch with or without poop on leg with previous cellulitis needs to be discussed with GP as antibiotic etc. need to be considered. Even if no previous leg issue would still discuss as teddy's diagnosis is unknown, best to prevent issues... (disclaimer : this is not professional advise)

Promise you will call them tomorrow as early as possible or go to the out of hours go or A&E. Its really not worth waiting for symptoms

Meow hugs to Teddy and you.

Oh my days! You are having the most awful time @Emmasian. My heart was breaking for you reading thru this thread. I don't even know what to suggest. I wish I lived near so I could help.

Good luck for Teddy's appointment tomorrow. Glad you have someone to go with you. That feeling when you can't even talk about them without crying is horrible love I know :,-( but it just shows a woman who has tried everything she can think of and is at her wits end with it all. It's so hard xx

I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner. I did at the beginning but haven't for a while with all my goings on! I really wish I could help in some way. I pray u get some answers very soon xxx

141 - 160 of 816 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.