UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Teddy's not well

33K views 815 replies 48 participants last post by  Matrod 
#1 ·
Hi guys

I have been trying to get him sorted myself, but I'm at the point where I need forum help as I am feeling really anxious about him.

He had a couple of cases of "exploding bottoms" about a week apart in the middle of August. I would put him on Applaws chicken for a couple of days, he would seem ok, and I would put him back on Catzfinefood or Animonda as usual. At the end of last week he had a further explosion, so I put him on plain poached cod and chicken, then on Sunday he had yet another explosion. Kept going with the diet and nothing till Tue when he had a further explosion. Now nothing since (still on fish and chicken).

When I say he "explodes" I mean he literally gets an attack of faeces where he stands - he makes no effort to go to the litter tray, which he has always been very good about. It's like a bomb goes off and Teddy just bolts round the house crazily like he has been hurt or badly frightened, scattering poop as he goes. He has always been very good about using the tray so I think these attacks come out of the blue.

I phoned the vet as I don't to put Teddy through a visit if all they are going to do is say keep him on fish/chicken. I have felt his tummy and it does not seem hard or distended. Vet said could he be constipated. I am not sure as when I have looked at the last sets of stool that have come out of him whilst he is bolting, the first part is firm, and it gets softer the further he runs (he leaves a trail). However before that, the stool was in liquid puddles.

The vet did say on pure chicken and fish he may poop less often anyway as most of it would be absorbed, but it doesn't explain why he keeps having attacks, and why he bolts when the attacks come - he really gets panicked.

This is not diarrhea as I have normally seen it with the others, and I am not sure it is a virus else the others would surely have caught it by now.

Teddy is bright, noisy, is loving his cod, and is cuddly. You would not know there is a thing wrong with him until he gets an "explosion".

Can anyone suggest anything? I can take him to the vet but with Freya they've always said just keep her in a plain diet, experiment with food etc. I just feel there is more to this but I don't know what. Teddy cries and pants when he goes to the vets and I don't want to make him worse.

Thanks in advance for any help x

See less See more
#2 ·
Can I add - he does not seem afraid of the litter tray or to be associating it with pain as he is happily widdling in it. He is drinking fine. His bottom does not appear sore (and I should know, the number of times I've washed it recently).

Thanks again

#3 ·
Oh poor Teddy! It's never fun when they have tummy troubles :( how old is Teddy? I think things like IBD can develop over time even if they have been fine as younger cats, but hopefully it's not that!

Inca had bad diarrhoea when we got her and has also had periods of having explosions of poo not in the tray, it would sometimes happen in her sleep (usually when she was sat on my lap!!) and she would be quite distressed afterwards. But I took her on when she was 4/5 and she already had this issue (vet suspected IBD) when I got her so I'm not sure how it initially developed in her. She had a lot of tests done at the vets, full bloods, FIV/FeLV (very much a 'just in case' as her history was unknown) faecal testing for bacteria/parasites and a vitamin b12 injection.

Our vet was very thorough and ruled several some things out with I found really comforting (the vet I saw previously just said put her on chicken and seemed generally unconcerned even though she was really quite underweight, so I swapped vets!).

If it was me I think I would visit the vets and push for more than just being told to change a diet, especially as he's finding it distressing, it may help aliviate your anxiety about it, even if you don't get answers straight away, your vet can help rule things out.

I hope you get it sorted and Teddy feels better soon.

#4 ·
It could be overflow if he is constipated, the diarrhoea is often the only that can get past. When Matilda got clogged up she’d pass a bit of poo then the rest would be explosive & like Teddy she wouldn’t do it in the tray, I always assumed it was a pain association thing, she’d always wee in the tray though & once the back up was dealt with she’d resumed pooing there too.

I would have thought though that he’d be in obvious discomfort, I always knew with Tilda as she’d start hunching. Sorry that’s not much help, poor Teddy, I hope you find out what’s causing this.

Just a thought, when he does have an episode is it really stinky & mucousy at all?

#6 ·
Teddy turned three in August. Freya, his sister, can have a dodgy tum which could be IBS, but this feels different.

I wondered about bypass diarrhea and the vet did say if it continues to consider 2-3 ml of Lactulose in this food each day. When he has had the explosions he's not in any discernible pain, though he seemed a bit more quiet. Today he's happily had his lunch and a cuddle, and is wandering in the gadren.

#7 ·
Awww poor Teddy xx poor you xx

I'm sorry Emma I know little about this, but wanted to send support.

I'm sure one of the other who have experience of this will come along and help. @Forester has been through all the diets going for Dylan and seems to have cracked it now. Send her a PM I'm sure she would be willing to offer help

Much love xx

#13 ·
Oh noooo @Emmasian . This must be so distressing both for you and for Teddy.

ewelsh is correct in that I must have tried every single protein or vet diet available for Dylan however his issue is vomiting ( IBD x 3 ). This is completely different. It sounds as though poor Teddy is getting bunged up and then everything is let loose at once.

My only suggestion, other than a vet trip, would be to try Slippery Elm to increase fibre and moisture content in the stool .

I hope that you manage to find something which helps before you both have to go through this ordeal again.

xx

#8 ·
Thanks guys. Sorry @Matrod I meant to say it does smell very unpleasant, but I have not noticed any mucous, worms or anything else in the stool.

Teddy has always been the reliable "dustbin" cat (and NEVER outside the litter) so if he is going to become sensitive I will be really upset for him. He would happily eat the catfood that Freya and Rafa have, only I'm trying to keep him on plain fish and chicken for now. Freya has been on much more of an even keel of late due to the dietary changes previously discussed - not perfect but getting there.

Teddy had his cod for lunch at 12.50 and has just informed me in no uncertain terms that he is still hungry and wants more. I'm making him wait though as it was a full bowl that he had (on the microchip feeder). I guess it is a bit light though for such a big cat.

#9 ·
Sorry Teddy is under the weather.

I would also suggest adding water if he is constipated as lactulose coats the outside and a more wet diet will help less hard stools.

Maybe a quick course of metronidazole? Blue did well on this when she suffered. She had a slight increase in clostridium perfingum after a stool sample.

It doesn’t sound like anxiety / stress as I think Blue had this but has anything altered??

Hope is gets sorted xx

#10 ·
#12 ·
I (obviously) don't know of anything useful to add but I just wanted to say I'm sorry Teddy is having the exploding bottom problem :( I hope you can get it sorted soon. I also wish they could speak and tell us how they felt.

Reactions: Emmasian
#14 ·
I will order the slippery elm and the probiotic immediately. What dosage do you guys find works?

Teddy has just started a fight with Freya for access to her food as he is so hungry, so I've given him a bit more cod. He chased her round the house in the most officious manner and is now bellowing in outrage at being shut in the kitchen so I can't imagine he feels unwell.

I feel sort of poised to see what happens next poop wise as to whether I try an actual laxative and speak to or see the vet again.

#18 ·
I always start with a tiny amount & build up from there. I would give Tilda a few little globs of slippery elm once a day.

Reactions: Forester
#21 ·
I wondered about furballs as well, though I couldn't see any hair in the stool. If he doesn't go tonight I might book him into the vets so they can feel his tummy and make recommendations about laxatives. I am just conscious I don't want to make his diarrhea worse. Oh what to do!

The slippery elm I can see seems to be in powder form either alone or in capsules which I guess I could cut open. Which is best? Does anyone have a brand they can recommend?

#20 ·
Blk had troubles with constipation, because of his high protien diet. The vets usual advice is Pro-Kolin probiotic and lactolose. I find the lactolose very effective compared to things like katalax. I would check the dosage with your vet.

If that doesn't work after a day or two, I would consider other possibilities.

We've not had the exploding bottom problem though, quite the opposite.

Hope you work it out, that must be rotten for you both.

Reactions: Emmasian
#22 ·
The vet would be able to feel if there is any solid poop in there still that's obstructing things, it would help you know what the best move to make next would be.

Reactions: Soozi
#26 ·
Aww poor Teddy x

My vets tended to start with Royal Canin Gastro intestinal with poo problems and if that doesn't work they go to blood tests. Ben had it initially and it did seem to help for a while but it turned out to be hyperthyroid after the bloods were done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.