Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Teddy does canicross

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Teddy-dog, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Today we took Teddy to his first canicross event. OH ran not me!! I went for support, take photos and look after the dog while OH registered etc.

We weren't sure what to expect as we'd never been to a canicross event before, it was very well organised and ran really smoothly.

Teddy was very well behaved. He did get a bit over stimulated and excited when we first got there as there were so many dogs and he went off on one for five mins barking. He did only start barking as there were lots of other dogs barking, which is an improvement as normally he'd be the one starting it!

We found a quite corner to sit in and I got his attention and we sat and calmed down, OH went and registered and got ready while we stayed out of the way. Everyone gathered in a courtyard for a debrief so it did get pretty busy with dogs but we kept as much distance as we could and Teddy was pretty good. He'd have a woof as there were lots of other dogs barking but didn't get too bad and I could get his focus back. We had about 20mins before the start then so we headed back to the car for some space and OH warmed up for a bit and then we headed over to the start which was noisy with other dogs again! We kept our distance for a bit and then went to the start as OH was going quite early. They had to line up as they were being set off in 10 second intervals and Teddy stood in line like a good boy and didn't even bother with the other dogs in front and behind. OH said that Teddy was really good on the run and they overtook a fair few dogs and he was well behaved with them all. At the end of the race Teddy wasn't bothered by other dogs at all and didn't bark once :)

So proud of them both. Really good experience for Teds and OH enjoyed it too :)

IMG_0837.JPG IMG_0842.JPG IMG_0844.JPG IMG_0853.JPG IMG_0855.JPG IMG_0869.JPG IMG_0872.JPG

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

What a pair of stars!

Teddy-dog likes this.
  3. Sproglet

Sproglet PetForums Senior

They both looked like they enjoyed themselves :)

Teddy-dog likes this.
  4. Geolgrad

Geolgrad PetForums Senior

Well done guys! We were there too!

Teddy-dog likes this.
  5. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Oh that's really brilliant well done both of them, so glad you recorded it with you pictures to look back on.
    I have actually bought a running belt in the 'vague' hopes if one day being able to do Park Runs with Emma

6. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Thanks all! It was great fun - definitely recommend it to anyone who's thinking of having a go. Not sure about other events, but this one was a mix of people who obviously did canicross quite a bit and people who were just giving it a go so it was a nice mix :)

Oooh i think I saw you starting! (Well I watched almost everyone start haha but recognise your dogs :))

Thanks :) I always like to have pictures to look back on :)
    Haha you should give it a go! OH said it made the time go faster as he was concentrating on what the dog was doing too, so you had something else to think about. But he enjoys running anyway.
    I'm not a runner but it's nearly tempted me into giving it a go... :p

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  7. trio25

trio25 PetForums Member

Where was it? Looks and sounds like you all had fun, I love canicrossing with mine and I only started running because of them!

8. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

It was in the Dalby forest in North Yorkshire. It was the first event at the Dalby but they said they were going to be doing more :)
    I was getting tempted to give it a go! But it's OHs thing really so I don't want to take away from him :) Plus he's a much better runner (maybe if we get a second dog...).

I've always wanted to do agility so when Teds is a bit more focused around other dogs I think I'll give that a go and OH can stick with the running!

9. trio25

trio25 PetForums Member

Fab, remember seeing that advertised now. Glad you all had fun.

10. AmyRedd

AmyRedd PetForums Senior

Aww he looks brilliant and the harness looks fab on him!

I really want to do some canicross with My Ted. I reckon I can manage a 5k but he doesn’t really pull just like trots behind me.... I dont want to look like I’m dragging my dog instead of the other way round haha. maybe if there we’re lots of other dogs there he’d be more enthusiastic haha

11. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Thanks, it fits him well!

Ahhh go for it! The Dalby has said they are going to do more as it was such a success. There was a proper mix of people, some serious runners who have obviously done canicross before down to the lady with her little dachshund who must have walked most of it as the dog only had little legs :D :D

I watched a few people finish before OH got across the line, and most of the dogs weren't pulling across the line, most were just trotting just in front, or alongside their owners by the end. Some of the dogs set off very enthusiastically as they were chasing but some just trotted along too :)

DaisyBluebell and AmyRedd like this.
  12. AmyRedd

AmyRedd PetForums Senior

Ohh that’s good to hear! I might have to go for it! I wish Dalby was closer to me, I think it’s about 2 1/2 hours away but there must be some that are more local somewhere

13. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Looks brilliant! Hope I can get my man to do this with Tilly when she is older.

Teddy-dog likes this.
  14. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I'm sure if you google there will be somewhere closer :)

https://dogfit.co.uk/pages/canicross-friendly-events-2018-uk This has a list of events but I'm not sure if they're all on there as the one we just went to isn't! Some of the events are just canicross friendly though so there will be runners without dogs as well.
    Do you have a parkrun nearby? They let you run with dogs :) But it was nice to go to a proper canicross event as you know there won't be any runners that dislike dogs!

I don't know if you're too far anyway in the North or South but the next one OH has his eye on is in April in Skipton :)

#14 Teddy-dog, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    AmyRedd likes this.
  15. AmyRedd

AmyRedd PetForums Senior

Thank you! I’ll have a look on there!

Skipton isn’t too far actually we’re about half an hour south of Keighley

Teddy-dog likes this.
  16. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

#16 Teddy-dog, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  17. DaisyBluebell

If you find anything further down country could you post on here Amy? Don't think I would be able to do it myself but if I could get Emma doing Park Run with me then perhaps my OH would give Canicross a go if we went and had a look at others doing it !

AmyRedd likes this.
  18. DaisyBluebell

What harness is that on Teddy please? I'm still looking at what one to get Emma as she is very narrow chested

19. Geolgrad

Geolgrad PetForums Senior

Most races are held in the midlands, wales and scotland.

Teddy-dog likes this.
  20. AmyRedd

AmyRedd PetForums Senior

Will do! Like @Teddy-dog mentioned there’s one in skipton that looks good!

There also a park run style event in littleborough and one in Huddersfield. I will try and find the links for you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice