Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tear stains

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by hamsterlover123, Mar 22, 2021.

1. hamsterlover123

hamsterlover123 PetForums Junior

Hello everyone!
    I was looking at dog tear stain removers but I am afraid it will hurt my dog because of the reviews.
    I also do not want to be putting hydrogen peroxide on his tear stains in the fear of getting it in his eyes.
    Is there any better ways that would be more safe and natural?

2. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

Not sure about removers but I've come across information that excess staining can be diet related and also serving filtered or distilled water rather than tap water can help to reduce it.

lullabydream likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Tagging @McKenzie as I believe she ( well, her dog!) had ths problem at one time.

McKenzie likes this.
  4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I believe diet.. As most people may have seen my dogs Lost poster she came to me with awful tear stains and all I did was change her diet

Now I did once add in another food as I did feed food in rotation. It is often classed best of the best and had glowing reports of how tear stains disappeared in days. Complete lie if the fur is stained and you are not washing you are literally having to wait for the fur to grow again.
    Anyway I had read all different things when I first adopted Cleo at 7, and had come to the conclusion nothing really works. Had read a certain ingredient was possible but I thought it was a load of crap because it sounds reddish. However this food had quite high amounts of tomato pommate in it compared to others. Then I noticed slight flare ups if I tried say a new food with it in.

I don't like the idea of cooled water it may fade, or it may just act like a litmus paper so you make the area worse. I don't mess with eyes.

I never have trusted filtered water theory, there is no reason in my body chemistry mind that would make it make sense. I think it's a con too but that's just my opinion.

5. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I've had pretty good results using Ocryl.

6. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

How old is the dog as my two had it quite badly as pups but seemed to grow out of it once the stopped growing.

7. hamsterlover123

hamsterlover123 PetForums Junior

My dog is a white poodle mix (Mexican street dog) who is 7.

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

My dog didn't have tear stains but did have quite bad mouth staining. Changing her food made a big difference.

lullabydream and SusieRainbow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice