UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 9 week old cavachon puppy who appears to have inherited most of her looks from her bichon dad.

We're using diamond eyes to clean the corners of her eyes daily but she's still getting very unsightly tear stains. Someone recommended angel eyes but it only appears available in the US. Is there a product in the UK which will prevent the tear stains?

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
I would certainly not use Angel Eyes, or probably most of the other US sourced products, as these contain a type of antibiotic, which I would not want to give my dog on a daily basis. Diet is the key to preventing tear stains. What are you feeding the dog?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi :)

All we're using at the moment is a liquid cleaner from pets at home... she's on purina beta puppy (chicken) which is the stuff the breeder recommended. I've looked into angel eyes and it contains a lot of liver which I know isn't good for puppies her age (our last dog was very sensitive to liver too) so we'd avoid that.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Same question was asked a few days ago - check out the thread.

Angel Eyes, as SixStar says, contains the antibiotic Tylosin which is banned here. Angels Glow is another one, as is Pet Spark.

I am at present trying NaturVet Tear Stain Supplement (all natural, no antibiotic in it) as a last resort, if this doesn't work then nothing will as far as Poppy's concerned as I've just about tried everything else.

·
Banned
12,847 Posts

All we're using at the moment is a liquid cleaner from pets at home... she's on purina beta puppy (chicken) which is the stuff the breeder recommended. I've looked into angel eyes and it contains a lot of liver which I know isn't good for puppies her age (our last dog was very sensitive to liver too) so we'd avoid that.
I would look into weaning her over onto a better food. Beta is terrible quality, and full of grain which only makes tear stains worse :)

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Thank you. I only joined yesterday and we're a bit overwhelmed, never had a puppy before
Didn't realise you were a newbie, welcome to the forum.

Enjoy your puppy - they're hard work but so rewarding.

You'll probably have lots of questions and people on here can offer help and advice. Have you noticed the search facility? Further up the page, 2/3 along the dark green banner. If you've got any questions you could try there, if you can't find what you want then ask away, or just ask anyway :D.

P.S. We need pics of your pooch, so not fair to tell us you've got a cavachon pup and not show us :(. Oh, and we need her name too.

P.S. Blimey, I'm so unobservant today. Just noticed your puppy pic next to your user name - gorgeous, I want to steal :D

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol thank you girtie :) and thank you for the welcome, it's taken a while for me to work my way round the forum (wouldn't have thought I was an ICT teacher lol)

Your pooch is gorgeous too :)

·
Banned
12,847 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Welcome to PF.

I agree with Sixstar about diet.

I have a samoyed, and I had a lot of trouble with tear stains when she was first rescued.

I was advised by a lady who had a bichon ( which had also suffered from tear stains) that it was the food, and tomatoes in pet foods was the main problem. At the time I was using Burns pet food, (a good quality pet food) and found out that Burns put tomatoes in their pet foods. I changed to a wet food, Natures Menu, after about 6 weeks the tear stains disappeared and have not returned.

It is also fair to point out that I also took my dog off all dog treats as I believe the colouring in treats can affect tear stains.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Welcome to PF.

I agree with Sixstar about diet.

I have a samoyed, and I had a lot of trouble with tear stains when she was first rescued.

I was advised by a lady who had a bichon ( which had also suffered from tear stains) that it was the food, and tomatoes in pet foods was the main problem. At the time I was using Burns pet food, (a good quality pet food) and found out that Burns put tomatoes in their pet foods. I changed to a wet food, Natures Menu, after about 6 weeks the tear stains disappeared and have not returned.

It is also fair to point out that I also took my dog off all dog treats as I believe the colouring in treats can affect tear stains.
I wish it was tomatoes or food colouring in Poppy's case. She's raw fed so no colouring at all and she still has them :(.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Thank you. I'll check the ingredients in the purina but it looks like we'll be weaning her off this week. My sister in law said Jame Wellbeloved is supposed to be good, I've just noticed it's flagged up as amber on the link from SixStar so I may be looking for another product

Thanks for the welcome and the Samoyd is beautiful

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.