UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a good method for cleaning this up. My wee puppy has noticable tear stains, i've gave it a clean tonight with some warm water and a soft cloth and it's broken it down a bit, but not taken it away completely. Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Can anyone suggest a good method for cleaning this up. My wee puppy has noticable tear stains, i've gave it a clean tonight with some warm water and a soft cloth and it's broken it down a bit, but not taken it away completely. Any help much appreciated.
Has she got excessive tear production thats causing it, if so excessive tearing can be caused by irritation from different things including things like inturned eye lashes and blocked tear ducts so instead of being drained in the normal way they run down the dogs face. Might be an idea to have her checked just in case there is a reason for it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has she got excessive tear production thats causing it, if so excessive tearing can be caused by irritation from different things including things like inturned eye lashes and blocked tear ducts so instead of being drained in the normal way they run down the dogs face. Might be an idea to have her checked just in case there is a reason for it.
Thanks for the advice I plan on getting him checked tomorrow to see what's going on with him. All new to this.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Thanks for the advice I plan on getting him checked tomorrow to see what's going on with him. All new to this.
What breed is he should be easy enough to look up if there is any common problems in the breed that may cause it, or if its something unique to the breed. Still worth getting him checked out just in case, A dog I had years ago kept getting eye problems fine on antibiotic eye drops but when I stopped using them it would re-occur turned out that time at least it was a couple of inturned eyelashes causing it, once removed he was fine, although later in life he did develope dry eye which is not enough tear production.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What breed is he should be easy enough to look up if there is any common problems in the breed that may cause it, or if its something unique to the breed. Still worth getting him checked out just in case, A dog I had years ago kept getting eye problems fine on antibiotic eye drops but when I stopped using them it would re-occur turned out that time at least it was a couple of inturned eyelashes causing it, once removed he was fine, although later in life he did develope dry eye which is not enough tear production.
He's a maltese shihtzu cross. It's maybe just a case of keeping his wee eyes clean. I'm looking at changing his food too as its a battle to get him to eat every day.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
A friend of mine rates giving Apple Cider Vinegar for preventing tear stains. Not sure what age it can be given from - from a pup I would assume, but it would be best to check if you are considering it!

·
Registered
694 Posts
My Samoyed started having bad tear stains and I couldn't get rid of it.
I was told it could be due to the food she was eating, particularly tomatoes in dog food, she was on Burns food at the time, which did contain tomatoes.
I changed her food to Natures Menu and stopped all treats other than fish sticks and it has cleared up completely.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Samoyed started having bad tear stains and I couldn't get rid of it.
I was told it could be due to the food she was eating, particularly tomatoes in dog food, she was on Burns food at the time, which did contain tomatoes.
I changed her food to Natures Menu and stopped all treats other than fish sticks and it has cleared up completely.
I'm definitely changing his food regardless, he obviously isn't keen on it, as to what, i'm unsure of, that's the next thing to look into.... :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.