Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tear stains what works

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by I love springers, Nov 15, 2012.

1. I love springers

I love springers PetForums Senior

One of my pups has watery eyes and it is starting to stain her fair...Her eyes are fine just watery...I am thinking that she might be allergic to something..Maybe the glade air freshners i have everywhere or could the central heating be the problem....I am bathing her eyes with warm water and cotton wool but what can i use for the staining..I am willing to try anything :incazzato:

2. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Apple Cider Vinegar. :) Supposedly, I'll be trying it out soon.

3. I love springers

Do you mean add it to her food?

4. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

5. I love springers

I have some cider vinegar i bought at the supermarket...Is it the same stuff?

6. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

Some people say bottled water works, i tried it and didn't notice a difference & it cost a fortune! I bought a water filter to carry on trying as at least it only costs about £2 a month as oppose to £10 :)
    Have also recently started added ACV but not long enough to notice a difference yet
    I also give coconut oil which i have read can help with tear stains

7. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

No. At least I don't think. I'd go with the ACV.

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

If you're giving ACV it has to be the unpasteurised stuff :)

9. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Could be the air fresheners even they are notorious for causing irritation problems. However if there is a problem with the tear ducts that some pups can be born with, that will also cause excessive watery eyes too, as instead of draining away via the ducts the tears just run out of the eye and down the face causing tear stains.

There is also a problem in springers called goniodysgenesis, which again is also a drainage/pressure problem in the eye again pups can be born with it and one of the signs i think can be excessive tearing or watery eyes. I believe this can also lead to glucoma.

It could be something irritant/simple causing it but it might also be a medical problem so may be wise to get it checked out just in case.

10. I love springers

I will try some ACV...Will Holland and Barretts sell it?

Don't think it is goniodysgenesis as two of the puppies have watery eyes just that one is worse..Their eyes are clear and bright just watery...Both parents are tested clear for Glaucoma...I know that does not mean they can't be affected by it.....But with it being more than one pup i think it more than likely an irritation...I have taken the smelly's out of the utility room as that is where they sleep of a night..

Is there anything that i can wipe the fur with to remove the brown staining?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice