Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tear staining

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by prada, May 6, 2011.

1. prada

prada PetForums Member

Hi

Does Angels Eyes work?

2. prada

prada PetForums Member

Ha. I've just read that Angels Eyes is no longer legal in the UK. So - does Angels Delight work? Has anybody tried it?

3. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

I never even knew a product like this existed - just had to google it!

So I'm not much help, isn't it more of a dog thing to get tear stains? Saying that, I've never owned a white cat so wouldn't know..

4. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

No, not tried it, but I cannot see how something with these ingredients can make any differences to tear staining :eek:

flaxseed oil, bone meal, lecithin, niacin, copper carbonate, silica aerogel, Vitamin A, Processed grain, Biotin, Carotene, Pantothenic acid, Omega 3,6,9, calcium, phosphorus, Lactobilus acidophulus, BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES, RICE BRAN, PRIMARY DRIED YEAST, SUNFLOWER SEED, FREEZE DRIED LIVER, DEHYDRATED ALFALFA, DRIED CARROT, FREEZE DRIED BONE, DRIED FISH MEAL, FREEZE DRIED OYSTER, SPROUTED GREEN BARLEY, GARLIC AND YUCCA SCHIDIGERA EXTRACT.Corn Fermentation Solubles, Norwegian Kelp, Fish Oil, Biotin, Vitamin E (mixed Tocopherols), Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Rosemary Extract and Vegetable Oils.

Have you tried Eye Envy? its not a supplement like Angels Delight, its a topical lotion, but it really works. I use it on my persians tear staining Toe Tufts: Products for Cats

hobbs2004 likes this.
  5. prada

prada PetForums Member

Hi. Thanks for your replies. Angels Eyes, and more recently Angels Delight, apparently work by neutralising the bacteria in the tears which cause the brown stains. In the case of Angels Eyes it actually kills the bacteria because it has an antibiotic containing Tylosin which is not legally approved in this country. This much I have found out, however, I have never used it. Luckily I've never had to until recently and wondered if someone who has could recommend it or not. It is used commonly in dogs, Bichon Frise in particular, but also some Persians which have white fur around the eyes and suffer with excessive tearing. I have tried other external methods such as bicarbonate of soda and boric acid, both of which seem laborious to me and am considering trying alternative treatments such as topical creams or the Angels Delight. Thanks again.

6. TheCozyPet

TheCozyPet PetForums Junior

I don't have any experience with Angel Eyes. You could probably researcj Eye Envy.

Make sure you feed a low grain diet and change to botled water for drinking. Tap water is rich in minerals that could cause tear staining.

7. prada

prada PetForums Member

Thanks. I have just started to try bottled water - hope it works.

8. hungover

hungover PetForums Junior

hi prada

I have used Angels Delight for years and yep it does work.

It doesn't work in the same way as Angels Eyes though

You are correct that Angels Eyes uses the antibiotic tylosin tartrate to kill the bacteria that lives on the skin.

Angels Delight is a natural supplement- it works in a different way. It oxidises the iron in the tears before the bacteria can use it a a power source.

Ultimately they both work by preventing the formation of an enzyme that is a building block of a red yeast.

Both products seem to work for most users. Angels Eyes is slightly faster but the antibiotic is not approved for use in dogs- vets are allowed to prescribe it under special circumstances and most commonly use it for kennel diarrhea.

An advantage of Angels Delight is that it can be used daily as a general health booster as well as a tear stain remover.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice