Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Team Clown's Race Reports.

Discussion in 'Working & Sports Dogs' started by SLB, Oct 2, 2016.

1. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

For this season of Canicross and scooter I thought I'd post a thread with links to races, reports on the venues (in case any of you get to race in the future) and basically how well we did.

Today kicked off our first race of the season, for us anyway.

Carnfield Hall
    Carnfield Hydrotherapy Open day.
    Distance: 4.5km
    Canicross.

Today I ran with Pennie. We got there, warmed up and got into position behind our friends (who signed me up to the race - I only wanted to go and take photos!) As we were getting closer to the start line, Pen's harness broke. Luckily, her and Sol are in the same size harness so I gave her to my OH to hold, let the run director know and got his out of the car. Managed to slot in where someone hadn't turned up and off we went.

The course took us along a field, round a post and back on ourselves, only with a hedge separating us from those still getting ready to run. It then followed this field around, into a wooded area. Now, they did say the dogs would love this, and Pen did.. She did mention cambers, but seriously! I had to grab hold of a tree to stop myself falling into a pond. If the sun wasn't strong, it wouldn't have been bad but it was a little bit of a surprise! After that it was a narrow camber filled and fun section through the woods, then out onto a field, round the field then back up to near the starting gate and another right into another field.. and then it was just all field.

I went over slightly on an ankle due to the boggy mud so we walked a bit there, then up a hill into another field, downhill, round the perimeter and just when I thought I was done, I was asked if I'd only done 1 lap, I said no, I had to go again *note to self, listen at the briefing* I only had to do the field section again, no wooded bit. Towards the end of the last field, Pen picked up a thorn in her pad, so I had to stop and take it out. She recovered quickly. At this point, my OH had decided to come out and see if we were alright. He'd been worried we'd taken a bit longer than he anticipated. (I've not ran in months!) So he ran in front of us for the last bit to pace me out and egg Pen on.

One of our friends took Louie out to run with. His OH was running with their dog and until they have a 2nd, they're borrowing Team Clown members. Louie apparently ran like a dream, though I did warn him that he would slow down if he had no one to chase and he'd likely need the toilet at some point. He didn't toilet on the course!

I came in 4th; 27:05
    My friend running her dog 3rd: 23:44
    My friend with Louie: 19:05 (1st)

We're doing something a little different for our next race. It's not really a race, it's an obstacle course, aimed at canicrossers!

It felt good to get out and see familiar faces, we've not seen some of them all summer due to not racing and not training due to it being too hot.

October2016.jpg

Canine K9, Lurcherlad and Shikoku like this.
  2. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Well done! Shame about the thorn but good placing considering. I think i spoke to your friend had she only started running recently?
    The woods are a bit challenging in places i tried walking my dog round there a while ago and the flatter road bits get churned by 4x4s. Least the animals stayed enclosed, heard the llama escaped once & was roaming round woods.

SLB likes this.
  3. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

And of course, it was lovely to see you again and see the hydro centre! :)

4. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Today was our 2nd race of the season, Canicross again.

Canicross Midlands
    Hicks Lodge Charity Dash
    Distance: 5km

After worrying all week that I'd not be able to compete in this, I suckered up and made peace with a potentially painful week next week. I've been experiencing terrible pain in my legs. And last night at work I had back twinges after twisting rather awkwardly holding a heavy thing. This morning, I lathered them in Volturol, put my muscle supports on and had a protein shake.

Pen refused to get out of bed. I had to try and get her out the room and the boys in the bedroom so I could get out the door without multiple escapees - this is what happens when they get to know your running kit! Finally managed it.

A friend was picking me up as I thought, there's no point in me driving if we're going to the same place. Only after her OH filled the van up, it refused to start. We were sat at the garage for about 10 minutes, frantically trying to text people to let the organisers know we were going to be late due to van trouble. Then it finally decided to start up. We missed the race brief though.

Got dogs out, got toileted. Got numbers, got ready to run. Pen was super keen on the start line. For such a little dog she doesn't half scream like a banshee!

The course was mainly flat with tiny up hills but a fair lot of downhills too. A mix of grass tracks - which were sodden and bike trails - Pen wasn't keen on the trail parts though.

She was fab for me today. We're both getting better. As I start to slow down, Pen will but if I stop to walk, she won't let me have too long and due to always wanting that pull, the moment she wants to go - I have to abide it. As a result, I'm walking less and jogging those bits I cannot run properly, which gives us both time to catch our breaths a little.
    The only criticism I have of her today is her lack of race. Pen... just because you're bored of chasing the dog infront, does not mean you can let another dog overtake so you can chase that one. That's not how it works pup.

We did the course in a time of 25:07 which taking into consideration everything today - that wasn't bad. We finished 6th out of 14th.

Everyone got a medal for finishing today which was nice. AND it glows in the dark!

MiffyMoo, Fleur and Shikoku like this.
  5. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

upload_2016-10-23_18-1-14.png

MiffyMoo, Fleur and Shikoku like this.
  6. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Well done on today :)
    Pen makes me smile - waiting for a dog to chase :D

SLB likes this.
  7. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Well done!

SLB likes this.
  8. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

She's a bloomin' nightmare Fleur! She'll happily run alongside another dog for a while, speed up, slow down, wait for them to pass then think - Oh no you don't! But then it repeats! And then if a new dog passes us - nope! Can't have that - and it continues with that dog. She's brilliant for passing practice as she has no issue just running beside anyone.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  9. Geolgrad

Geolgrad PetForums Senior

Sounds like Pen had a fun time ;)

SLB likes this.
  10. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Aww someone on FB said that Pen helped, I got this lovely comment on my "Thank you" post.

"Well she was giving Judo confidence which is great, he's rather scared after a few bad experiences being overtaken now but with Pen he was perfectly happy, so you helped us today"

MiffyMoo likes this.
  11. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

upload_2016-10-24_13-14-20.png

upload_2016-10-24_13-14-29.png

Just a couple of photos from yesterdays race. I have yet to receive the one from the official photographer for the event though.

I was meant to be a witch but the hat headband that I had broke on the way there and the hat bit kept falling around and then Pen wouldn't wear bat wings and it seemed wrong to dress her as a cat.

12. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

She's loving every minute of it!

SLB likes this.
  13. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

The official photographers photo. I was rather naughty with this one mind. This was took shortly after I'd passed my friend with the husky behind.. I'd waved at her as I passed, then flipped her the birdie as I carried on - we have that kind of relationship! Haha. So I'm guessing all the other potential photos were not for the public eyes with this one.
    [​IMG]

14. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

That's an awesome shot!

SLB likes this.
  15. BlueJay

BlueJay wag more ★ bark less

Here's my race photo, obstacle practice x x x

[​IMG]

Muttly and SLB like this.
  16. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Aargh, I hate slugs!!

17. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Saturday 29th October.

Zeus Races - Dogstacle North
    Ashby De La Zouch
    Canicross; NFC (not for competition)

So yesterday, @BlueJay and I went to a newly formed Canicross run, with a difference. Zeus races often run Obstacle Course Runs (OCR) for people who are crazy. Brutal (a different Running company) were told they weren't allowed to run dogs anymore so it left a lot of people with a void. They had trail runs with a difference; deep trenches, hills and lots of mud. So Zeus decided to allow dogs. Only they needed to make it so there was a run purely for Canicrossers - thus; Dogstacle!

We arrived stupidly early; I thought it was an hour away - it wasn't. but this gave us time to toilet Sol and Gwen. We said hello to a few faces we knew and then collected our numbers. Before the race we took the dogs to the communal type area; where the stalls, food bar, beer bus (yes!!) and everything else. I'd already put a disclaimer on the facebook page about Sol and can people ignore him. He made me out to be a massive liar! He wasn't keen on a lot of people but took it all in his stride, ignored them and even let some people touch him. However, he let one guy give him a massive fuss and got lots of bum scritches from him. Gwen said no to everyone. I was warming him up at one point, he likes to chase me whilst I'm running backwards and jumps at me. Probably not the best warm up but at this point he was getting bored and I needed to get him focused on me. I did a quick one with him and the event photographer asked me if I could get him to do it again so he could get some shots. :D

Anyway - the run.
    It started off on a wide track, downhill, then a sharp right where we zig zagged up and down a hill. This really tested Sol's command work and also his tape reading. A few events use tape to mark out a course, this one needed a lot of it. He got a few bits wrong but easy to get back on track. Then we went into a zig zag wooded section and up a gloopy clay like mud hill. After that horror, we got to a marshal who said we could go round if we wanted. No! Obstacle running - we is doing the obstacles! So we then waded in waist high pond water with an uneven muddy footing. Sol had to swim! He loved it though - he was up for it before I'd even said lets do it! Out we get to go through a mud trench, ankle deep mud. Sol loved it! We then left Bluejay as Sol was getting very impatient. We then did a few more up and overs, tires, blocks, logs, woodchip hills... then there was another water trench, more mud, more technical woods, a very long and windy hill. Bluejay must have cheated somewhere as she popped out at some point just behind me! Haha! And we did the last hill together to the finish line, where we both got medals, as did the dogs.

Everyone was so friendly, people recognised Sol from my post and gave him space, and if I said to give him space, they did. They were fab. Sol enjoyed it. His joy for running through the mud was infectious. His joy for woods running - not so much with the uneven terrain. Haha. His commands at the end were spot on!

Overall; we'll definitely be doing it again at some point. It definitely wasn't a course for those who like to go flat out or novices. And in some places the footing was a little sketchy - however Sol's face at the beginning, throughout and at the end told me it was worth getting my knickers soaked in pond and mud in places, mud shouldn't be.

Photos to come.

Shikoku and MiffyMoo like this.
  18. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

upload_2016-10-31_9-1-45.png

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Muttly, Shikoku and MiffyMoo like this.
  19. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

That sounds like tons of fun! @BlueJay definitely cheated :p

SLB likes this.
  20. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

She most definitely did.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice