Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Teaching your cat cool tricks

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by tacefas, May 25, 2017.

1. tacefas

tacefas PetForums Newbie

I was never into tricks thing but my older cat, Lina was always very fast learner so I trained her to operate buttons, to sit, and to guess in which hand or under which cup is a treat. It took me maybe 30 minutes of training for all mentioned. Then I got bored with it but she loves to do it from time to time.
    What is your experience with it?

2. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

I've not trained a cat to do tricks, but grew up with a number of Siamese who could certainly have been trained, had we wanted to. They would work in tandem to open shut doors, with one jumping up to press the handle while the other pushed or pulled.

My aunt trained her cats to do a small trick (I think it was "shake") before they were allowed to have their supper, so it can be done.

My current kitten can't even figure out that partly open doors can be pushed open enough to get through... Curtains regularly confuse him. He often sits or lies down too close to the edge of the bed/chair & falls off. Bless him, he's very sweet but genuinely a bit thick.

3. tacefas

tacefas PetForums Newbie

My cats also open doors, Lina even tried to operate a key when doors were locked - on many occasions. Alba is on the other hand, crazy little cat (one on my profile picture). When we got Alba 2 years ago Lina changed and she did not purr until last few months. She was...lets say angry for 2 years.

4. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

Einstein is a bit dense - unless food is involved and then he's sharp as a tack - I therefore assume it's laziness and not genuine stupidity.

Ours will sit on command, give a paw and stand on back legs with both paws on a raised hand - was thinking about getting a reception style bell and seeing it they would ping it for treats...

Babyshoes likes this.
  5. Chellacat

Chellacat PetForums Senior

My cat Spike (sadly missed) was great for tricks, he could open doors and cupboards and drawers. I also taught him to stay, follow and roll over and give me a kiss. He was very clever and loved to show off. Sasha however is about as interested in learning tricks as he is about learning to love the hair dryer, that is to say, not at all.

Spike, my crazy moggy, with my daughter 10 years ago.

206632_1040573421655_5695_n.jpg

ewelsh likes this.
  6. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Brooke can push or pull open a door if it's ajar. But she prefers to summon her slave to open it properly!
    Last night she sat outside the front door, mewing loudly. She could easily have walked round the back to her catflap, but why do that when her slave will open the front door? Some of my neighbours had noticed and were quite amused at how she had me wrapped around her paw! :rolleyes:

Chellacat likes this.
  7. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

In the past I had a cat that would give me a hi-five and would play fetch. I have on occasion got other cats to play fetch. Of my current cats, I've trained one to give me a hi-five, my intention was to train him to do agility but life has rather got in the way so I haven't pursued it, although I go ask for a hi-five every time I give him a treat, just to keep his paw in :)

8. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Lottie plays football with the dogs balls, we roll a ball to her and she rolls it back, so funny.

Libby's trick is to knock anything off a work service:rolleyes:

Chellacat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice